News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Hidden Email?

Started by sojo, August 05, 2008, 12:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sojo

My email-adress isn't hidden.  ???

I tried to change my profile. Without success.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Stubbsy

It works on my profile and it works on someother peoples aswell, but seems not to work on everyones. Have you made sure you have un-ticked the "Hide Adress From Public Box"?

sojo

Look.

If I change the setting is also not.

mip

I can change some parts of the profile and some parts not. So i can add a image or set my birthdate, but i cannot change settings for notifications.

Stubbsy

I dont know then ??? It seems to work with some people. Errr have you activated your account? Cant think atm.

Quote from: mip on August 05, 2008, 12:31:26 PM
I can change some parts of the profile and some parts not. So i can add a image or set my birthdate, but i cannot change settings for notifications.
I can change everything in my profile, works fine, dont need to go back again to change it or anything. I think somethings got changed, like time as i had to change it to a different setting today, but it didnt change back.

sojo

"Show others your online status?" works.

But hide email not.  :(

Stubbsy

Maybe the profiles haven't all been fully setup ready? Just trying to think of possible things.

mip

If i logout and view as guest i cannot see your email address sojo. If you are logged in you see your own email, which may confuse you.

Stubbsy

From that, it suggests that it is still on "Hide Adress From Public"

sojo

Quote from: mip on August 05, 2008, 01:04:02 PM
If i logout and view as guest i cannot see your email address sojo. If you are logged in you see your own email, which may confuse you.

That's great.

But can I not hide my email for all? Also for users too.

Stubbsy

Well what i have seen, i guess not. I suppose it's better than nothing. Atleast you won't get machines etc, and it will be easier to track anything if you do get dodgy e-mails from here etc.

Kristian

Not having an e-mail address (or having a fake one for that matter) is problematic as well. I tried.  :)

Stubbsy

True, but i thought you had to have one for e-mail activation.

Kristian

Exactly, and when you later change it, you block your account. [yoda] And remove it... you cannot. [/yoda]

Stubbsy

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: sojo on August 05, 2008, 12:15:53 PM
My email-adress isn't hidden.  ???

I tried to change my profile. Without success.

When I look at your profile using my testing account, which is set up as a regular member, I see:
Email:  hidden

Until someone can report to me that they 1) see your email address and 2) are not an administrator, I will assume this feature works globally.

Can anyone see Sojo's email address? With this account (forum administrator), I can. With "isaac" (normal account), I cannot.

Sorry. I did it. As a "normal" user I can't see my e-mail address.

Stubbsy

I can't see his e-mail address.

sojo

I'm stupid! 123 is me! I have create a testuser.  >:( I would write as sojo!

PatrickN

I can see my own address when I look at my own profile, but I can't see Sojo's and assume he can't see mine but can see his own.

The hide option must only hide emails from other users.  You wouldn't want to hide your email from yourself, would you? ;)

Painter, in and out of retirement.

zengrath

I can see mine.. have hidden email checked, Can anyone confirm for me real quick that my email doesn't show? Thanks

Isaac Eiland-Hall

That is, by the way, exactly how it is supposed to work. :)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 06, 2008, 04:37:54 AM
That is, by the way, exactly how it is supposed to work. :)

Ok - but why? I rarely write emails to myself and it seems to unsettle most people that they can see their email-adress even though they've decided to hide it...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I believe this is the first time multiple people have chimed in on this issue, so for three years, it essentially was not an issue. This is hardly something new. I would hardly characterize is as "unsettling to most people".

Further, profiles for nearly any web service will show  *you* information about yourself that is not made public to others. Typically, the only information that is hidden is the password; and even then, it depends on the service. I use some services that display the password in plaint text on your profile page.

At some point, you have to trust that the software will do what it's saying it will do.

Part of the problem in this thread is that people speculated on how it might or might not be visible, when actual testing would have quickly shown that it was working just fine.

As for the final piece of logic on why it is the way it is, you should consult Simple Machines, the actual writers of the software.

Long story short: This has not been a significant issue for three years. Why do we feel the need to try and make it into one? It is merely a snowball effect from the speculation that caused uncertainty at the start of the thread. So let me reiterate that the forum software is working as advertised, that this is nothing new. So perhaps we can move on?

DirrrtyDirk

Isaac, I wasn't actually referring to my profile, I was just a little confused that I get to see the little icon with the "mailto" function (and therein my mailadress) in my posts - and that's a feature I don't see much sense in - that's all. So just to clear up any potential misunderstanding here (since you are absolutely right: there's no real reason to argue): that I can find my email-adress somewhere in my profile, is quite natural - and I also trust it not to be shown when other people read my profile. Just that mailto-button to write an email to myself worried me a bit (and that is - in my mind - what makes people believe their adress is shown even if it's not) - and I really don't remember seeing back in the old forum (which is very probably my fault - I bet it was there ::)) ... oh well some people at SMF will know what that's supposed to be good for...  ;D

But you are right: no reason to keep debating this forever.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

zengrath

The main thing that worries me is seeing the mail:to icon in the member list. I understand that being logged in i should see things on my profile page that others can't. But in the member list i still see the mail icon next to my name, that shouldn't be there.. and isn't for everyone..

EDIT: Actually to above... I see my mail icon in my post too, but not the guy above me. So i am assuming that no one can see mine.. But why would i email myself? :D

PatrickN

The mailto: icon is the same as with the profile: You see your own, not your neighbor's.  I was reading your posts and wondering, "What mailto: icon are they talking about?" and then I looked up at my post and saw one there.

Colin

Hi Guys,

I'm starting this post as a warning. For the first time ever I am receiving SPAM directly linked to this forum. The only explanation I have is that my email has been on open view. I've since corrected this and would advise you all to do the same. Belkow is a copy of the SPAM that I received.

From Miss Blessing Hanukah.
Abidjan. Cote D'Ivoire,

Hello dear,

With profound respect and humble submission,i got your contact in http://forum.simutrans.com and I beg to state the following few lines for your kind consideration, I hope you will spare some of your valuable minutes to read the following appeal with sympathetic mind. I must confess that it is with great hopes, joy and enthusiasm that I write you this mail which I know and believe by the faith that it must surely find you in good condition of health. My name is Miss Blessing Hanukah, I am the only Daughter of my late parents Mr.and Mrs Joseph Hanukah. My father was a highly reputable business magnet who operated in the capital of Ivory coast during his days.

It is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips abroad on the 20th May 2007. Though his sudden death was linked or rather suspected to have been masterminded by an uncle of mine who travelled with him at that time. But GOD knows the truth! My mother died when I was just 6yrs old, and since then my father took me so special.

Before the death of my father on May 2007, he called me and informed me that he has the sum of Ten Million, Five Hundred thousand United State Dollars.(USD$10,500,000.00) he deposited in a private Bank here in Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire.. He told me that he deposited the money in my name, and also gave me all the necessary legal documents regarding to this deposit with the Bank

I am just 21 years old and a university undergraduate and really don't know what to do. Now I want an honest and GOD fearing partner overseas who I can transfer this money with his assistance and after the transaction I will come and reside permanently in your country till such a time that it will be convinient for me to return back home if I so desire. This is because I have suffered a lot of set backs as a result of incessant political crisis here in Ivory coast. The death of my father actually brought sorrow to my life. I also want to invest the fund under your care because I am ignorant of business world.

I am in a sincere desire of your humble assistance in this regards. Your suggestions and ideas will be highly regarded. Now permit me to ask these few questions:
1. Can you honestly help me from your heart?
2. Can I completely trust you?
3. What percentage of the total amount in question will be good for you after the fund has being transfeered to your account and i come over to meet you ?

Please, consider this and get back to me as soon as possible. Immedaitely I confirm your willingness, I will send to you my Picture and also inform you more details involved in this matter.
Anticipating hearing from you soon.
Thanks and God bless.
Kind Regards,
Miss Blessing Hanukah.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

whoami-test

Quote from: Colin on August 07, 2008, 06:34:13 AM
For the first time ever I am receiving SPAM directly linked to this forum.
And your e-mail address ist still viewable by newly created users on this forum, like the one I post with now (this is also a test post for something else.)

whoami

But both of my accounts can't see the respectively other's mail address, which is consistent with both having the checkbox for "Hide email address from public?" checked.

Colin

Sorry it was my mistake, I went into my profile and ticked the 'Hide Email' box but forgot to use my password to enable the changes. Could you please check and see if you can still see my email address?
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Kristian

QuoteEmail:      hidden
Should be ok now...

Colin

Thought for the day

IgorEliezer

Hint: If your e-mail address is italicized in your profile, then it's hidden for everyone else (admins can see though, but italicized ).

Kristian

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: IgorTekton on August 07, 2008, 03:23:08 PM
Hint: If your e-mail address is italicized in your profile, then it's hidden for everyone else (admins can see though, but italicized ).

Now that's a cool thing to have noticed! Nicely done. :D

...in other news, BAN THE ITALIANS! They're obviously causing too much trouble. ;-)

PatrickN

Seriously, the system is working correctly.  Isaac did well.

That reminds me, did you fix it so all the common misspellings of Issac are automatically corrected?

IgorEliezer

Maybe I caused some misunderstandings. Then:

Quote from: IgorTekton on August 07, 2008, 03:23:08 PM
(admins can see though, as well italicized).

Also we admins can see hidden users (users who hides their online status) in "Users online" list as well in italicized.

Quote from: PatrickN on August 07, 2008, 09:20:01 PM
That reminds me, did you fix it so all the common misspellings of Issac are automatically corrected?

Heh... What is "Censored Words" for?  :P