News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Isles of May (pak128)

Started by citybus7, January 24, 2010, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citybus7

Welcome to the Isles of May.

Although mention of a lush island group in the North Pacific is to be found in the diaries of 18th century explorers, it wasn't until 1842 that the British landed and took possession of the islands, destroying an indigenous system of government along with the capital, Keomay (pron. Kee-oh-may).

At the time, the Mayans (not to be confused with the Mayans of the American continent) were a moderately developed culture which primarily engaged in fishing and farming. During the period of British colonialism, much of Mayan culture was lost as the locals blended with the colonists. Immigration was heaviest during the late 19th century, but stopped abruptly around 1910, because all farming land was taken and industrialisation bypassed the islands. The British founded many settlements on the islands, built the road infrastructure and organised the economy. They also brought in thousands of laborers from British India to work on the agricultural land.

During the 20th century, the Isles of May advanced faster than other British colonies, but the standard was still substantially lower than in the developed world. Following the wave of decolonisation with some delay, the Isles of May became independent on 1 January 1990, pursuant to an agreement with the United Kingdom, under which the Queen remains Head of State, represented by a Governor General (residing in Shipwreck Town, where the British first set foot on the islands). Legislative power is vested in the directly elected Senate, and executive power rests with the Council of May. Both the Senate and the Council meet in the Government Palace in Prince Albert.

The Isles of May have a population of around 230,000, more than half of which live on Main Island (the two biggest cities, Prince Albert and Christchurch, are located on Main Island). North Island is the second most populated, and its administrative and economic centre is Nelson. Hale Island in the northwest is third in population, and it is the region where Mayan culture is most preserved. George Island is the smallest of the four major islands, but the island town of Hilalane brings the number of populated islands to five. Additionally, there are dozens of unpopulated islands of various sizes.

This is an overview map of the country:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/islesofmay_overview.png

The population of the Isles of May is primarily of British (55%), indigenous Mayan (35%) and Indian (10%) ancestry, but there is a common national and cultural identity best described by the term "May Islanders". Virtually the entire population speaks English, 15% are native in Mayan, while a further 20% claim to have some knowledge of the indigenous language.

It is now shortly after independence. The Council of May is putting forward, with consent of the Senate, a plan for rapid development of the country. You have been put in charge of a publicly funded transport company tasked with developing fast and efficient transport links within the entire country, in order to promote industrial development. The Council has given you the following instructions:

- You may reclaim land, but you may not interfere with ocean currents for ecological reasons. (see http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/islesofmay_currents.png)
- Churchill Bridge (between Hale Island and George Island) must be preserved for historical reasons.
- The Council will honour your request to modify Prince Albert International Airport to accommodate other modes of transport. (This is the only use of the public service player acceptable).
- Due to strong popular opposition, you may not join the island of Hilalane with Main Island by land reclamation.
- You have to keep the area between central Prince Albert, the Government Palace and Prince Albert Island free of any major modification (bridges, reclaimed land, industrial ports etc.)
- You are allowed to go bankrupt (the government will bail you out) but from January 1991, your monthly operational profit must always be positive.
- You are free to found new cities anywhere on the map, except Prince Albert Island.

Explanatory note:
Everyone plays Simutrans differently, it is often said in this forum. Myself, I do not find it particularly interesting to have an x number of cities on a monotonous map which you have to connect and start making big profit. Instead, I prefer to have a story behind my maps. I always spend a lot of time 'preparing' maps before I start playing them. I thought I would share this next scenario with whoever would like to try it as well. This scenario is very close to a sandbox game, there is no defined goal, and business performance is not crucial. Instead, try to develop the Isles of May into a highly urbanised and developed country.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Isles%20of%20May.sve
This save game was created using 102.1 and pak 128-829 with no addons, but with station_coverage = 3.

I am looking forward to seeing your screenshots and save games! I will also try to post myself when the game develops.

Impressions from the Isles of May

Prince Albert, the largest city

Victoria, the biggest city on Hale Island:

Prince Albert International Airport:

Hilalane, an quaint old town not far from Prince Albert:

vilvoh

It's an interesting background story! I'm looking forward to see the map finished.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

rainer

What a nice story! ; - )
I failed to start your game. Depending on the age of the simutrans version, it refuses to start 128-834 or it refuses to load your game. Is there anything special in it?

vilvoh

He used a svn compilation of pak128 (don't use openpak128) so it's only compatible with the exact version, in this case 128-829.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

rainer

Great. : - (
Do you have an URL for that version?

VS

There should be no substantial difference between rev. 829 and 834 of the pakset.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rainer

"should". ; - )
OK. I am out of the game for the moment.
See the a.m. problems.

Have fun! ; - )

citybus7

Yes! I just remembered! I play with station coverage set to 3 tiles, and I remember reading in the config file that savegames with a different setting would not load. That must be it, I'm very sorry!

(You can simply change station_coverage to 3 in simuconf.tab, which is found in your pak > config folder... I guess.)

Rohal

Hi Citybus7,

it would be nice if youz could reupload your save, because they were deleted on the server.
To keep them for a longer on the server it is possible to login with your forum nick and pw.
If you dont do that they will be deleted after one day.
I would to play your map.

Greets

Rohal

citybus7

Done. Tell me if it doesn't work. This is getting way to complicated to me, all I wanted was to share a game! Uhhh!

Rohal

Hi Citybus,

thank you. works great. will begin soon.

Greets

Rohal

rainer

Rohal: How did you manage that? Which simutrans version? Which version of pak128?

VS

Rainer: just config ;) In simuconf.tab, station_coverage = 3 .

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rainer

VS, that's what I did. ; - )
The result was the same. Not loadable.

DirrrtyDirk

Have you changed the entry in the right simuconf.tab? After all, there up to three of them, loaded in a specific order, and when you change the entry in the "wrong" one, it will be ignored since there's the old value in the next file...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Rohal

Hi rainer,

I am using pak128 rev 834 and simuwinsdl rev 3052.
I changed the simuconf.tab in the pak128\config folder

Greets

Rohal

rainer

Rohal, thanks a lot!

It works.

Rohal

Hi Citybus,

here you will see some of my solutions for the Isle of May. At the beginning I concentrated my afford on the transportation of mail and passengers. I used highspeed rails and catenary. Each Island got it's own network with one train per City. The inner Isle network are connected by planes to each other.
All Islands have got a central Hub Station. See pictures below

At this time I am using SBB RE 460 with 7 Cannonball Passenger Coaches and 2 Cannonball Mailwagons.

For the inter Island transport I use 747 for passengers and mail.

In this picture you can see that my company was profitable since June 1990.

Between June and July 1991 all trains were replaced by Haru ACE.

The next plan is to connect all the industries with eachother.
Atm I am in the year 1993. Profit in 1992 was 6.624 mio.
If somebody is interested in the sve I will upload it.

Greets

Rohal

1993matias

I got following error when opening the savegame:
Fatal error: fabrik_t::rdwr()
no besch for ForestPlantation
PRESS ANY KEY

What to do? I have the newest version (downloaded four days ago), pak 128 and station coverage = 3.

VS

Author used pak128 nightly version with some new industries.

diegoviagens

please who have this saved game?
I'm trying to access the link provided but I'm
being informed that the link is broken.
thanks
Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

Rohal

I will have a look at it at the weekend, i think that i have a copy on my home pc.
If I find one I will upload it tomorrow

Greets

Rohal

1993matias

Is it possible for you to make the images available again?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just discovered why they aren't showing (server hacking). If it's possible to upload them to another image-hosting service? Or would it be too much to ask?

Rohal

Hi matias,

I will haave a look at it. the problem is that normally the pictures are deleted after some time, thats why they aren´t available anymore. But ths should be on my homepc, so i will upload them today

Greets

Rohal

Here is the savagame http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Isles_of_May.sve

diegoviagens

^^^^^^^^
thanks
Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

Rohal

Hi,

during the next weekend I will have a look at the pictures and maybe I will make some new ones.

Pics are back in service

Greets

Rohal