News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Mac OSX version incredibly slow

Started by dorsolateral, January 28, 2010, 08:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorsolateral

Hi

I found Simutrans last week and am enjoying it immensely. So much in fact that I am putting up with a very unresponsive and slow GUI and low framerates on my macbook pro.

It's a 2.3ghz cpu with 3gb ram. With a 512x512 map and varying amounts of cities/factories from 16 to 128 the framerate is usually between 7 and 18. More 7 than 18, unfortunately. This is with the 128 pak, performance is slightly better with smaller paks, like the 64, or 32comic.

The version is 102.3-3055, but the latest nightly build is no better.

Running Simutrans on my girlfriends computer with a 1.6ghz celeron processor and 4gb ram I get 27fps with a 1024x1024 map with 96 cities and 128 industry chains.
Generating maps is also at least an order of magnitude slower on the mac (haven't timed it, but when it's a 10x difference one doesn't need a stopwatch :)

This most certainly cannot be right. Could it be an issue with the SDL framework?

It bothers me that my first post here is a negative one, but I really want to be able to enjoy this game, as it's a lot better than the alternatives.

---edit/update---

I wanted to try the experimental build to see if there would be a difference. OSX versions lag behind, so it was experimental 6.7. This one crashed. Did not even start up. But there was a standard version within the package which runs. It's v102.1 nightly from Mar 30 2009. The pak is 128 Britain.

Performance here is heaps better. 1024x1024 map with 128 cities and industry runs reliably at 19fps, which is totally acceptable. Maps generate slower than on windows, but faster than on newer builds.

knightly

Hi,

Quote from: dorsolateral on January 28, 2010, 08:37:38 AM
128 industry chains

I just want to point out that, 128 industry chains doesn't mean 128 factories, but 128 chains, and a chain comprises raw material suppliers to intermediate factories to end consumer stores. 128 chains is too many, and the map building routine will have hard time finding suitable locations to place these factories, as there is a minimum distance between them as well as climate restrictions.

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.