News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Buildings on shores

Started by The Hood, December 02, 2009, 09:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I found this on the German dat wiki:

Building on the shores
Simutrans-version 0.99.02.1 or higher

with this entry;

climates=water
Location=Land

the object will be built only on the shore line. AFAIK This only works for attractions (obj=building; type=cur). These objects can not reach into the water (like harbours).

Is there any way this functionality could be extended to factories?

I would like to include a new type of factory (it only needs to be 1x1) that only exists on the shore: a fishing port.  The reason for this is that the current fishing chain in pak128.Britain is this:

fish swarm ---(fish, cooled goods)---> fishmonger

This means even very large cooled container ships could go fishing(!)

My idea is this:

fish swarm --(fresh fish, special good)--> fishing port on shore --(fish, cooled goods)--> fishmonger

The only vehicles with the ability to carry fresh fish would be fishing boats, thus restricting the types of boat available to go fishing.  

Would it be possible (or even is it already possible) to allow such a factory to be built only on the shore?

(The alternative workaround would be an extension request for an extra line in the dat file that somehow prvents boats from docking at a fish swarm unless they are marked as a fishing boat, but that would be harder to integrate into existing paksets as it would require all fishing boats to be recoded in all paksets, hence I don't think it's a good idea).

EDIT: just realised this should probably be in extension requests rather than help requests - sorry, I'm half asleep this morning!

Dwachs

did you try this

Location=Land
climate=water

for a factory? Imho, this should work for 1x1 factories too, since the placement routines are the same as for the attraction buildings (aka Lighthouses). If it does not work then upload a pak for such a factory.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

The Hood

No, I haven't tried it (currently in work, just thinking about it).  I didn't think it was possible, hence the post, but if you think it should work I'll try later when I get home.

z9999+

- "fishing port on shore" doesn't have port feature, so you need to build a port.
- There is no guarantee that "fishing port on shore" on seaside, it might be built on lakeside.

The Hood

@z9999+,

I had realised those.  I think the first one is not a problem (people would get used to the idea of needing to build their own dock next to it).  The second is more of an issue, but if I can get this to work I'm going to do some tests to see how often there is a problem of a fish swarm not having a direct water route to the fish port.  Hopefully this will be fine most of the time.

jamespetts

Hmm, if this works, then there is the possibility of building international ports for the import of goods not domestically produced (such as coal in the later part of the game).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Tried this out last night and it works for 1x1 :)

Didn't have time to test other sizes, but it's still a good start.  I can do what I want with this!  Coming soon to a pak near you...

Dwachs

In principle other sizes should work as well. Then however it is more difficult to find a suitable location, since all tiles of the building must be on the shore. So I think 1xN may work too, but for MxN it is almost impossible to find a suitable location.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

The Hood

That would make sense.  I'll give it a go later.

Martinwh1

I raised a problem with fishing ports on the pak128.Britain forum where it was suggested that there may be a code bug: In v102.2.1, as part of industry growth 3 new fishing ports were introduced but only 1 of these bordered water, 1 had no connected fishery and all the other 2 had no direct water connection to a fishery.

prissi

That is not really a bug, that there is no water connection. You can just define water, not connected water.

The Hood

@prissi, I agree it is not a bug that there is no connected water between too places, but surely it is a bug that something with Climate=water, location=land (i.e. should be built only on shores) is being built in the middle of a field?

prissi

In recent versions there is an emergency code to prevent broken chains in action. If on 50 random 50x50 locations on the map no suitable climate location is found, the industry is built at an unsuitable climate to prevent people to complain about broken industry chains. Since "water" is a climate, it will be ignored. One can, of course, force that water climate must be obeyed ...

Searching the whole map takes very long on large maps and led to minute long responseless pauses on large savegames, thus the "faster" building code. This effect gets only obvious with fisheries, for most other industries poeple are only happy about less broken chains.

jamespetts

Might I suggest a simuconf.tab setting to allow forcing of the water climate?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.