News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Day & Night

Started by Colin, September 17, 2008, 06:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

I have a minor problem. i can no longer change the Brightness level with the +/- keys. Has this been changed?
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

DirrrtyDirk

Yes, I believe it has changed - from +/- to... well... nothing, I'm afraid. You see, for most things, key bindings are no longer static but can now be defined in menucof.tab instead - but I think it is not (yet?) possible to adjust keys for that particular function there. I couldn't find a WKZ entry for that - there's just one to open the Options / Display Window (where you can still adjust the brightness by mouse) directly, and define a key for that...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Colin

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 17, 2008, 11:54:05 AM
Yes, I believe it has changed - from +/- to... well... nothing, I'm afraid. You see, for most things, key bindings are no longer static but can now be defined in menucof.tab instead - but I think it is not (yet?) possible to adjust keys for that particular function there. I couldn't find a WKZ entry for that - there's just one to open the Options / Display Window (where you can still adjust the brightness by mouse) directly, and define a key for that...

Yep I was aware of that but it's not really the same thing. i like to take the brightness down to see the night time appearance but I don't wont the Day/Night auto feature. Ah well! maybe someone will put it back.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

DirrrtyDirk

??? In that options window there are (among others) two things:

1.) A checkbox where you can toggle "day and night change"

and

2.) right beneath that, some arrows around a value to adjust "Brightness" (and those should have the same function as the +/- keys used to have)

But now as well as back with 99.17 and older, I don't think that's a good alternative for the "real" night mode, since it darkens everything (including icons, menus, windows, etc.) while the day/night mode does not affect those.

May I ask what you dislike about the normal day/night mode switch?

Colin

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 17, 2008, 12:49:51 PM
May I ask what you dislike about the normal day/night mode switch?

Just a personal thing. It annoys (maybe the wrong word, perhaps should be irritates) me when I'm working and the screen suddenly goes dark, but sometimes when I've completed a particularly nice city with lots of trams, trains, buses, signals, (vehicle and train) I like to watch it run in the dark for awhile.

I did notice the other 'Brightness' adjustment in the options, but it was so much easier just to press - or +

Thought for the day

z9999

As DirrrtyDirk said brightness settings is different from night view. Colors are different.
I once asked prissi about brightness, and he said.

The darkness setting stems from the old fullscreen only game mode. It just replace the darkness switch on your monitor and is therefore rather useless.

So, I think real night view mode is required.
Of course, dawn and dusk view, too.

Colin

Prissi is probably right, but! When you have a flat panel monitor, as a growing number of computer users will have, the brightness control is behind the panel and in my case is hard to reach plus it takes 3 separate actions to lower the brightness and 3 more to turn it back.

I can live without it, and I certainly don't expect Prissi to change it just for me.

Thought for the day

z9999

Colin

Thought for the day

DirrrtyDirk

It just a piece of source code - so it can only be used by people who can compile ST themselves. (Or it can be included into the trunk by prissi, and then it would become part of the nightlies.)

wernieman

"When" it is a big patch and I have time, (and it is important) then I could make a "spezial" nightly with the patch.

at example see the overpatch-nightly

But normaly I do not make them, because it must me compiled manually, the nightly build    automatically
I hope you understand my English

z9999

removed

Colin

Quote from: z9999 on September 19, 2008, 12:46:41 PM
Then, here is a special version, only for test.
As usual, Windows GDI version only.
http://cid-d6b7a18636a8e6ac.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/simutrans%7C_forum/r2022%7C_daynight.zip
Copy "menuconf_night.tab" to "pak/config" folder.
Key:
+ ... fade in one level
- ... fade out one level
* ... toggle day (level 0) and night (level 4)
You can change toggled night level to your favorite level.

I tried this, it doesn't seem to work so obviously I'm doing something wrong.

The following files are installed into the PAK/CONFIG folder. zlib1.dll, menuconfig_night.tab, and sim_daynight which is an .exe.

If I click on the sim_daynight.exe I'm told  "No PAK set found". If I look in the menuconf_night.tab it doesn't seem to be any different than the standard menuconf.

The + & - still only display the help menu. Should I be removing the original menuconf and renaming the menuconf_night to menuconf.

Thought for the day

z9999

Quote from: Colin on September 21, 2008, 03:19:06 AM
I tried this, it doesn't seem to work so obviously I'm doing something wrong.

That's too bad, and I'm sorry for this. I don't have any idea about this, sorry.

DirrrtyDirk

Well the .exe and .dll do not belong into simutrans\pak\config - just put them just into simutrans\ where the normal game .exe is located.

then in simutrans\pak\config nake a backup of your menuconf.tab and rename menuconf_night.tab into menuconf.tab (it should only have 3 additional lines and otherwise be identical to the normal one).
EDIT:
ah no, leave that as it is.

Colin

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 21, 2008, 10:19:11 AM
Well the .exe and .dll do not belong into simutrans\pak\config - just put them just into simutrans\ where the normal game .exe is located.

then in simutrans\pak\config nake a backup of your menuconf.tab and rename menuconf_night.tab into menuconf.tab (it should only have 3 additional lines and otherwise be identical to the normal one).
EDIT:
ah no, leave that as it is.

Hi Dirk, tried that it didn't make any difference. Anyway I will try it again just to make sure that I didn't stuff up.

Hey! Someone, somewhere else, asked if you ever sleep. I reckon you're triplets and you work 8 hour shifts. ;D

Thought for the day