News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Smoke offset for vehicles

Started by The Hood, March 04, 2010, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I would like to request a smoke offset for vehicles.  Currently this is possible for positioning smokes correctly on factories, but not vehicles.  The main reason is that I have had some difficulties with getting smokes in a nice-looking place for steam road vehicles and ships, as the position of the funnel/chimney in the tile is different for the trains (which work well, by and large).

I know this would be slightly trickier than for industries, as 8 rotations are needed, but would it be possible to include a smoke offset in a similar way to the image offset, i.e.

Image[x]=pngfilename.i.j,imgoffsetx,imgoffsety,smokeoffsetx,smokeoffsety

This improvement would certainly help improve some pak128.Britain graphics.

jonasbb

I support this request, because in pak192.comic we had the same difficult.
But i do not like the way you want to implement it in the dat-file.

Dwachs

Can this be achieved by defining a smoke object with correct offsets for each vehicle? This coould at least be a work-around then.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

More like correct offsets for directions, I would say...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jonasbb

Quote from: Dwachs on March 04, 2010, 06:19:59 PM
Can this be achieved by defining a smoke object with correct offsets for each vehicle? This coould at least be a work-around then.
This doesn't solve the problem we had with pak192.comic.

You can test it with pak192.comic and the lok BR80.
In north and west direction the smoke is placed at the end of the lok.

prissi

Imho this should be (better) solved by smoke with directions. THis could make also smoke for airplanes, which is highly directional ...

The Hood

The only other consideration is differences in alignment between road and rail.  For steam trains, smoke comes from a central alignment along the tile, whereas for steam buses/trucks it comes offset.  I suppose in the system prissi proposes it would be OK effort-wise to create two different smokes, one for each alignment.  I'm just worried that without the ability to offset smokes, it may still look very strange in certain situations, especially when the vehicle is travelling slowly...