News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

How to make one way choose signals

Started by Combuijs, March 15, 2010, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combuijs

Below you will find an image with a construction I often use. It's a method of creating high throughput road vehicle stops. It forces the driving direction by one way signals and uses a choose signal to spread the vehicles over the loading bays.

As this is taking two tiles, I was trying to put them on one tile. So I am looking for a roadsign that is both a choose signal and a one way signal.

The makeobj code is something like:

obj=roadsign
name=one_way_choose_point
waytype=road
min_speed=0
single_way=1
free_route=1

Trouble is: this puts the one-way signal in the wrong direction, e.g. in the direction that the choose signal is working it also blocks the vehicle as it is one-way. Is it possible to somehow reverse either the single_way or the free_route?

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

ӔO

there are combined road signs available off of http://addons.simutrans.com/ under 128 > other
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Combuijs

Thank you for pointing that out!

Unfortunately the tb_v_choosepoint_oneway.pak in that addon suffers from the same problem: it does not work. I will try to contact its creator Timothy to see if he has got a solution.

Other solutions still appreciated!

The Hood

Is it not possible to place just the choose signal but click several times until it only faces one way?  That certainly works for trains...

Combuijs

Yes, that's possible. The problem is that with trains you can get choose-signals working in one direction or in both directions (probably influenced by the is_signal parameter). On roads all signals work only in one direction and unfortunately both the choose-signal (free_route=1) and the one-way signal (single_way=1) seem to work in the same direction. If the free_route parameter would work in both directions on roads then life would be simpler in this case. The is_signal parameter is not supported for roads though.

Ashley

This would likely need a code change, since there's no provision at the moment to have a combination roadsign where the one-way action happens in the opposite direction to the choose action. Could be added by making the one_way= parameter take a third value (say "2") which would indicate that it should act the opposite way around to a normal one-way sign...

Moving to Extension Requests.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Václav

I am not sure this my request fits this topic, so you can extract it to separate topic.

In Pak128 are signals for choosing of free platform on rails - start and end. Start signals can be set for only one direction, but not end signals (they are for both directions only). Why? Is it possible to make end choosing signals for setting to be only for one direction?

It is based on quite strange behavior of end choosing signals - when they are build as on this picture (close to factory transfered from pak128.German),

they eliminates effect of start choosing signals.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

prissi

End_of_choose signals are not signals but signs. Making them one way is possible (by dat definition), and would have the same effect as a one way sign (which is undesired and was left out by the pak set maker).

End_of_choose signs exclude the current route from beiing choosen (if it is not the initial route). They do not mark an end of a choosing area. Maybe they should be rather called "forbidden choice signs".

Václav

So. It means that is better to use OneWaySignals set for departure from station - in situation showed on picture in my previous post in this topic.

Fuzzy Peach

I would just put the Choose Sign on one tile. And the one-way sign on the next tile.

skreyola

Quote from: prissi on April 06, 2010, 09:50:24 AM
End_of_choose signals are not signals but signs. Making them one way is possible (by dat definition), and would have the same effect as a one way sign (which is undesired and was left out by the pak set maker).

End_of_choose signs exclude the current route from beiing choosen (if it is not the initial route). They do not mark an end of a choosing area. Maybe they should be rather called "forbidden choice signs".
I definitely support renaming these, as that is a very big confusion with more than a few people.
I would recommend "Reserved Platform Sign" instead of "Forbidden Choice Sign".
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Václav

I am sorry but based on few previous posts I would like to offer Forbidden track(s) sign or Forbidden platform sign. It is better than Forbidden choice sign and also Reversed platform sign.

sanna

Well, in pak64 the translation (at Simutranslator) of Endofchoosetrack has for quite a while been "Exclude from platform choice" in English (and the corresponding in Swedish). "Forbidden" sounds very wrong to me, since the platform in question is very accessible to trains distinctly having the platform in question specified in their schedule.

Whatever is chosen, I would recommend synchronization of translations between pak:s for signals/signs with identical function.

Václav

Whatever is chosen, I would recommend synchronization of translations between pak:s for signals/signs with identical function.

Well, well ... very good idea and action what is needed to do in all translations in all graphical sets.

skreyola

"Forbidden" should definitely be avoided. It would confuse the function of this sign with the "Do not enter" types. "Reserved" will show that the track is available but will never be chosen by a choose signal.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Václav

neroden

Quote from: sanna on April 09, 2010, 09:57:41 AM
Well, in pak64 the translation (at Simutranslator) of Endofchoosetrack has for quite a while been "Exclude from platform choice" in English (and the corresponding in Swedish).
This is probably the best choice.  It's very clear in English.