News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Load with Addons Button

Started by Fuzzy Peach, April 04, 2010, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy Peach

When i started up simutrans 102.2.2 when i went to choose my pakset there were new buttons beside the pakset buttons that said "Load with Addons". I clicked it but nothing changed. If anyone could tell me how to use this that would be great.

jonasbb

You can use an additional folder for addons.
The new folder have to be at HOME/simutrans/ and the name of the folder must be the same as the pakset-name.

If you put .pak files in this folder and click "Load with Addons" at start time, the additional .pak files will be loaded.

So you can split the original pakset from the addons and the addons will still be there if you update the pakset.

Fuzzy Peach

So what would i name the folder and would i put it inside the pak folder or the simutrans folder?

Frank

Quote from: Fuzzy Peach on April 04, 2010, 03:02:45 PM
So what would i name the folder and would i put it inside the pak folder or the simutrans folder?

[userdir]/simutrans/[pakset]/[pakfiles]

for translate addons in Nightlys ( not use in 0.102.2.2 )

[userdir]/simutrans/[pakset]/[tabfiles]

Fuzzy Peach

i don't exactly understand...

But the folder structure i have goes like this:

Simutrans/Pak128/[files]

So what would i name the folder for the addons and would i put it inside the Pak128 folder or the Simutrans Folder

VS

Normal Simutrans:
(anywhere)

Addons:
on windows, Documents/Simutrans/pak128/blahblah.pak and so on
on linux use HOME instead of Documents...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fuzzy Peach

Okay. What would i name the folder for the addons or do those just go in the Pak folder?

VS

The folder should have the same name as pakset folder... for example, I have the following:

pak
pak128-1.4.6
pak.german

So if I want to load addons with any of these, I'll make another folder in Documents ad put addons there.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fuzzy Peach

I still don't really understand, do you think you could post a screenshot?

Zeno

A screenshot won't help at all, Fuzzy Peach. It's a common tag to say "a picture is worth a thousand words"!  :-X Btw, let me explain other way: this button is a solution to a problem. The problem is when you download addons and put them in pak folder, later it's difficult to know which files are addons and which of them are the original pak content. This solution enables you to optionally put all pak files you downoad in your documents/simutrans/paksetname folder (must be same name as original pak folder), in order to keep them away from original pak files. So you can use that functionality or not, but the result is two folders for your pak with identical name: one in your documents folder (containing addons only) and another in your games/simutrans folder (containing the original pak only). Hope you got it right now.

Btw, IIRC it was discussed wether to make that functionality recursive loading or not; I can see it isn't. No news about that I guess, what a disappointment: it's mad for me to deal with such insane amount of pak files in both folders :(

VS

Why not :) The bottom window shows my normal Simutrans folder with game. Top window shows what I have in Documents/Simutrans.

You can see I have "pak128" in both... so when I start the game, it will show "load with addons" for pak128, and when I click that, it will also load pak files from the Documents version of "pak128". Why? Well, I can put addons there and know they won't interfere with the game, whatsoever.

Fuzzy Peach

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!

Now i understand. TYVM!

I was using the .ZIP file and putting that in my Documents folder. I wasn't using the .exe