News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Support Multi-cores?

Started by fishgills, April 05, 2010, 12:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishgills

Anyway to have this game support Multi cpu cores in windows? Frustrating to watch it only use one core when I have three more it can use!

DirrrtyDirk

Simutrans only runs on a single core. And the latest statement on this issue from the developers (that I can remember) said that this will (and can) not change, as it would require to completely rewrite major parts of the code.

So feel free to give your other cores something else to do. Run winamp or whatever.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

I was wondering how many open source games have multi-core support. Indeed, how many commercial games for PC have multi-core support? I guess there aren't many, even for windows.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Multicore = parallelism. It makes little sense to split code paths that are entangled together.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

That feature must be hardcoded by developers or is there any compiler that creates multicore code automagically?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Manually hardcoded (or prove me wrong & make me happy!)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jonasbb

Quote from: VS on April 05, 2010, 08:21:34 AM
Multicore = parallelism. It makes little sense to split code paths that are entangled together.
But you could split the view from the other parts.
The view can be parallel to the rest without any problems.

prissi

The view cannot easily be splitted from other parts, as it can be only done after every stuff has been moved. Thus the only part that is done in parallel is the 16 to 32 bit rendering.

Furthermore simutrans is usually not limited by the processor speed by rather by the memory bandwidth for very large maps. If you map is a GB size and well developed, at least 10% of it must pass through the processor each frame. Not cache could help here, and faster processing means only you are faster with waiting for data.

And finally, I have still see a savegame simutrans cannot handle, if compiled without debugging and all optimisations.

KrazyJay

With new multicore CPUs from Intel single cores can be boosted when the other cores are hibernated with a sort of turbo function resulting in much faster processing compared to older CPUs with similar advertised core speeds...
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player