News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

British Industry Set

Started by The Hood, September 22, 2008, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I've finally found some more time for drawing stuff, and here's the latest results...

It's going to be part of PakBritain, but if there is demand I can make a separate release of them.  I'll release the pak once I've drawn a few more (probably about 2/3 of the way there to a release right now) but here are some screenshots - unfortunately I can't upload them all due to filesize and number of pictures required!

Industries done so far:
Coal Mine -> Coal Power Station
Oil Rig (sea) or Oil Well (land) -> Oil Refinery
Oil Refinery (fuel oil) -> Oil Power Station
Oil Refinery (petrol) -> Petrol station
Oil Refinery (chemicals) -> Pharmaceutical Factory -> Chemist
Sheep farm or Cattle farm (livestock) -> Slaughterhouse -> Butchery
Cattle farm (milk) -> dairy
Sheep farm (wool) -> Textile mill -> clothes shop
Forest/Sawmill (combined in this pak) -> furniture factory -> furniture shop
Forest/Sawmill -> Paper mill -> printworks -> newsagent (newspaper) and bookshop (books)
Forest/Sawmill -> Builder's Yard
Quarry -> Cement mill -> Builder's Yard
Clay Pit -> Brickworks -> Builder's Yard
Clay Pit -> Pottery -> China Shop

VS

The first one looks really good!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Stubbsy

I'm LOVING IT!!!!! Especially because it's English :P It's nice to have an English Pak (I'm English not British, i always argue the point lol :D)

a20

Thanks mate! I'm so looking forward to it.

The Hood

Thanks for the feedback so far.  If you want to see a screenshot of any of the ones I haven't posted just let me know and I'll whack them up.  Latest addition - grain farm, complete with 4 seasons of field.

vilvoh

Why is the roof of the warehouse different in both sides. I mean, the side next to the outer wall has vertical lines, and the other has horizontal lines...problems with Blender and textures? In fact it happens the same with the main building roof.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

kierongreen

Looks good! Plain fields look a bit dark?

I get round the texture issue by using two textures - one rotated by 90 degrees.

The Hood

Oh - hadn't spotted that about the roof textures!  Shows how awake I was when I drew that!  Which one do you think is better - the roofs in the spring shot or the other shots?  I'll also think the winter field is a bit dark, so I'll redo that when I'm not in work!

vilvoh

Definetly, spring's roofs but I think you've used the same texture for the ground and the roof in that view

The Hood

Here's the updated farm - roof texture adjusted and winter field a little less dark.  Any better?

vilvoh

VS

It's still missing this... err, you know, dirt and all that.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

Completed bakery chain:
Grain farm -> Grain mill -> Bakery

The Hood

Simuthans of PakBritain have been partying this weekend because they now have a pub  :D  In it you can have beer from the brewery or cider from the local orchard.

Qayyum

Um... Can you make a sign 'Pub' at the pub? That will be easier to find your gorgeous pub. ;)

BTW, I love this pak set as well as pak 96 comic :)
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

kierongreen

Great to see new buildings being painted - sorry if this appears to be overcritical:
Orchard house looks a bit too tall.
I'm not sure about trees in orchard - with these and other buildings pixel editing will be needed to remove stray light pixels, but in addition the trees don't seem to quite fit in. I'm not sure how to improve this - trees are one area I'm not that good at...
The tower bit of the brewery seems to have quite a large window area - more typical of modern steel frame brick facade buildings than traditional brick buildings.
The brewery in general looks quite small - this isn't necessarily a problem (as compared to some industries it should be), but having fewer windows and possibly slightly taller buildings (industrial floor heights larger than residential ones) would make it seem more in scale.

All in my humble opinion...

The Hood

@Qayyum: if you look carefully there is a sign at the pub - maybe I need to make it bigger / a more obvious colour.

@kierongreen: I think I agree about the size comments, although I think it is more that I have slipped into making some of my buildings (e.g. farms) too big rather than industry too small!  I think you're right about window area on the factory.

About trees, I'm not sure what to do.  The pixel editing does need to happen, I've already done some but it's amazing how many stray light pixels get through each time!  As for not fitting in though I really don't know how I could draw them differently, without reverting to drawing 1000s of individual leaves in blender (not going to happen!!!). What in particular do you think doesn't fit?  Shape? Colour? Anyone else got any suggestions?

Attached: another shot of the orchard trees and also forest trees for comparison.  Both may need refining.

vilvoh

You can use a Blender plugin for creating trees called Gen3. It's easy to use and It creates beautiful trees like these (from the old Blender resource thread)

kierongreen

The orchard trees just seem a little to synthetic for want of a better word. The forest trees are definitely artificial looking. Some starting points would be to add some more random bumpmap textures (something like cloud) to them. If you send the tree blender files to me I could try looking at them?

VS

The orchard trees definitely lack any touch of "fractalness", they're fight now just textured and deformed balls. More or less the same goes for these conifers.

I don't know much about 3d modelling, but the keywords you want to search are "procedural", "algorithmic" and so on. Trying to create a number of different trees by hand sounds like good fun if you're paid by hour, but that isn't the case :P

mroby

That looks incredible.  I can't wait until you have it completed.  Great work - really!

The Hood

OK, here's another go at conifers, using the tree generator script (which is awesome, thanks!)

I'm not quite sure I've got it right still though, so any more suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.  I'll have a go at the orchard later.

VS

Now that's what I wanted to see in 128 :D

kierongreen

Certainly looking much better than my attempts :) The trees look good - what about giving a little variance between the trees, slightly different sizes and colours, just to differentiate them a bit?

The Hood

There is already some difference in heights (but you can't really see it!).  I will have an experiment with colours as well.  I was also wondering about what people thought of the scale?  If each tree is currently too small then I could do 4 trees per tile instead of 9.

@VS: You're welcome to have any of these graphics for mainstream pak128 if you want, but you'll probably need to balance the dat files differently.

The Hood

OK, here's my latest attempts - which one do you think is better?

kierongreen

I prefer the first version. It's looking very good.

Pedantic colour points:
It might be good for the hue to be slightly more towards blue on the lighter trees - the darker ones are ok though (this is for the conifer trees, for deciduous going slightly towards yellow would be better, not by much though) and for the saturation to come down a bit (again, not by much).

DirrrtyDirk

Yes, IMO the first one's better, too. On the second one, trees form "vertical lines" by color (only dark ones in a row, then just light ones, then again only dark ones, etc. - on the first picture it looks much more natural. Although I like the height of trees in #2...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

The Hood

OK, here's a third attempt at the forest, with slightly different colours on the trees, and the central sawmill bit resized smaller to look more in scale.  Is this one better?

kierongreen

VS

Heh. Now if only fields could have winter version... wait, they do! :)

Václav

Orchard looks good. What it should product? I have some idea where it could be used. Soon I would like to present new industry chains somewhere in forum. For those who understand czech are available diagrams in czech written part of forum in topic "Nové průmysly pro pak128" - but translation to english is in process.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

The Hood

The orchard in this pak supplied cider to the pub and fruit to the greengrocer (not drawn yet).  I've managed to redraw the trees, hopefully this time they look a little less like deformed spheres.  Any further improvements?

VS

Yes, this is certainly better, too.

I can't really say anything as my monitor shows mostly darkness and I can't make out anything on these trees beyond shapes.