News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

opening Makeobj

Started by grampybear, April 20, 2010, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grampybear

good afternoon-- operating windows xp home edition. I have downloaded Makeobject 50 and copied makeobj.exe to c:makeobt but when I try to open file I get "Windows doesnot recoginze this command". Are extra files needed? I also have a drawing saved as.png file and .dat file in the makeobj file folder.
Trying to learn how to make pak objects, and need all the help I can get.
Thank you

MoTw

What did you type into the command line window? E.g. in Linux you have to type ./makeobj, I don't know the command for Windows, but perhaps you forgot to type something like ./
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

AvG

Hi MoTw,
Using Windows:
This is a way to start:
Make a new folder for your item.
Copy in that folder:
1. The .dat-file of the item
2. The .png-file of the item
3. Makeobj50.exe
4. Make a .bat-file with text "Makeobj50 pak128 ./name_of_item (if you use 128-Pak)
Just run the .bat and do not forget to change the name into vehicle.name_of_item.pak.
Success.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

prissi

Much easier:
Safe the following as "makepak.bat" with the ending bat:

C:\Programme\Simutrans\makeobj.exe pak

(If your makeobj is at "C:\Programme\Simutrans\makeobj.exe")

COpy this file to your folder, which has your dat files, and doubleclick.

You can also make a link on makeobj into that folder, and then under properties you add " pak" after the first line which should end with "...\makeobj.exe"

grampybear

success at opening makeobj now it tells me "cannot create destination file
Should the destination file also be makeobj file?

vilvoh

Take a look at Creating an addon (IV): Using makeobj tutorial and if you have windows, I strongly recommend to use PakHelper, the makeobj frontend for windows.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

grampybear

Thank you all for the help and advise.  One more question before I start to explore the world of simutrans creations.  Is it allowed to download the dat & png files from a current open source pak like the new electronics factory and use this information as a guide?

vilvoh

Sure. Investigation is allowed if the sources are available, but you can't claim the copyright of that object. Well, actually nobody prevents you from doing that, but it's not a good way to start joining to Simutrans community, you know..  :police:

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

grampybear

using the dat & png files from the new electronic factory i have been able to create a pak file that works. ;D However when I try and change the goods required in the dat file to something else i run into errors. Is there an official list of goods available with their proper spelling, ie: paper is papier for the dat file.

VS

Errors when using makeobj, or errors when starting game? (Just making sure since what you're saying points to the latter case...)

Goods list... hmmm... pak64 (plain), pak64 - food chain addon, pak128 attached.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

grampybear

thank you for the goods list pak128. After some trial and error I am able to use makeobj to create pak file that actually works, error comes when starting game like the example of "paper or papier" dat files seem to only recognize papier not paper. This is a learning curve and I am already way ahead of yesterday when I started. Thanks again.

EDIT: Is it easier to create object (png file ) first or dat file? Also if object is a factory must it have the name of a current factory or can it be a new factory using current goods available? Again thank you for your patients with me

Dwachs

Quote from: grampybear on April 21, 2010, 08:17:22 PM
Also if object is a factory must it have the name of a current factory or can it be a new factory using current goods available?
The factory must have a new name, since all these objects are distinguished internally by their names.

It would be a good idea to upload your dat/png files that gave you these errors.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

grampybear

With the help from everyone here and also on the pak128addon forum I have made a factory addon that works in game(works being key here).Visually its a disaster. I forgot about the special background color E7FFFF so I have this block around the building-white. I moved up to Paint.Net and know how to correct the back ground problem. Question now for the people who paint, how do you get such sharp smooth lines without the colors bleeding? Easy to tell I am new at this. Thanks for any guidance.