News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Attraction: National Railway Museum

Started by wlindley, May 13, 2010, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

Any suggestions for which locomotives and cars (and in what arrangement) would be appropriate for the track part of a National Railway Museum attraction (to appear in the 1950s perhaps)?  Guidance please on which collections of 1830s-1950s engines would go with which carriages. Building(s) to be modeled after the ones at York, perhaps.

York museum, taken from a balloon off this page:

Impossibly rough draft:

The Hood

I actually had a similar thought myself the other day!  Obvious candidates include the Rocket, LNER A4 and BR 9F as I know all of these are in the national collection.  You can have a look here for a full list though:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock.aspx?ipp=12&cat=All&comp=All

The Hood

Looking at that link some more, quite a lot of the steam locos in the pak are represented at the NRM, and those that aren't have something remotely similar.  I think as long as the A4 and the rocket are there (they are both pretty iconic), anything else is OK.

sanna

If you feel like extending the graphics a bit, I think a turntable would look just lovely...  I do understand that coding a working one in Simutrans would be a bit of a chore... but a static (or animated) one at the museum might be feasible???? (and if the devs contradict me and say that a turntable would NOT be hard to code.. I would be happy indeed *smile*) A "central" depot with a turntable in front with tracks going out like spokes...because I guess that a full roundhouse is more than you were planning ....

sdog

off topic, a turntable would be a good station extension for experimental, speeding up turning of locomotives at terminals.

ӔO

I think it would be nice if you could align the engines in directions other than the orientations the game gives.
Of course, this would require that everything be rendered all at once, which will be more work, but visually, it might be nice to see angles you normally never get to see.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: The Hood on May 13, 2010, 02:57:03 PM
I actually had a similar thought myself the other day!  Obvious candidates include the Rocket, LNER A4 and BR 9F as I know all of these are in the national collection.

I'd also suggest the LNER A3. The loco of the Flying Scotsman is pretty famous, even outside Britains. And it's the title card train of the pak.

jamespetts

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on May 16, 2010, 08:32:17 AM
I'd also suggest the LNER A3. The loco of the Flying Scotsman is pretty famous, even outside Britains. And it's the title card train of the pak.

Actually, the logo is a King class, not an A3, although there is an A3 in Pak128.Britain.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Quote from: sdog on May 15, 2010, 04:36:47 PM
off topic, a turntable would be a good station extension for experimental, speeding up turning of locomotives at terminals.

Yes!!

jamespetts

A turntable would require quite a radical systematic change to the way in which railway vehicles work: currently, shunting is not simulated at all.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

Could we separate the turntable idea into the rail yard thread?

jamespetts

Perhaps this should be set as a "monument" so that it only gets built once? It doesn't make any sense, after all, to have two national railway museums...

The Hood

The voice of pragmatism: we can already do the original idea ("national railway museum graphic") so let's do that and keep it simple.  Just call it a "railway museum" and code it as a curiosity - there's only one national railway museum of course, but what about other museums such as Didcot for example?  Besides, monuments always get built with roads all around them.

jamespetts

Václav

Rail museum seems be very good idea - I only would offer a little specification: country curiosity - but I don't know they appears in game or not. I have still thought that they have been placed during map creation on beginning new game and then no - but I can be wrong.

If they would be coded as country curosity, they would appear in multiple numbers - but they won't appear in every city.

And it can sound crazy - in curiosity/monument (I cannot force type you will finally choose) you may paint shapes of tracks you cannot use in game - it means real curves - no curved crossings or curved curves (like they are in main pak128) - but real curves.

Else very interesting idea would be railway test facility - like such you can find by villages Cerhenice and Velim in the Czech republic. Such object could be coded as monument without problems because it is (often) only one in every country - and some countries may not have any one (or they may be unusable for some tests - why do you think that French AGV and also many other trains is tested in the Czech rep.?).

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní