News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

idea: rail yard (multi-tile freight building)

Started by ӔO, May 16, 2010, 07:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

It occurred to me that perhaps one could make and render a rail yard as a multi-tile building.
We all know that for train track tiles, there's only 1 set of tracks per tile, but what if it's made into a building prop?

Visually, I'm quite sure you can fit 2 sets of tracks in one tile and 5 sets of tracks in 2 tiles.

Maybe something like a 4x10 tile building with one or two points where it would visually merge with way tracks, hiding the buffer. One could even insert a turn table and engine house with realistic visuals.

I hope this image illustrates what I'm saying better.

Now I don't think this is within my capabilities of creating, but I wanted to throw the idea out.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

I know what you mean, but without a real purpose in the game I'm not quite sure it's worth doing.

wlindley

Quote from: sdog on May 15, 2010, 04:36:47 PM
off topic, a turntable would be a good station extension for experimental, speeding up turning of locomotives at terminals.
Quote from: jamespetts on May 16, 2010, 02:55:54 PM
A turntable would require quite a radical systematic change to the way in which railway vehicles work: currently, shunting is not simulated at all.

This would probably require a flag for bidirectional trainsets (with driving cabs at both ends) versus single-ended or locomotive-hauled trains.  Bidirectional trains would have a short turnaround time, versus a long delay when turning other trains.  One could reduce this delay by scheduling a visit to the turntable / railyard.  Such implementation seems like an awful lot of work to add something fairly irritating to the game.

Alternately, if a turntable were an add-on building to a station, then trains reversing at stations having one would get the reduced turn-around time, even without the visual effect of running off somewhere.

jamespetts

Quote from: wlindley on May 16, 2010, 05:01:54 PM
This would probably require a flag for bidirectional trainsets (with driving cabs at both ends) versus single-ended or locomotive-hauled trains.  Bidirectional trains would have a short turnaround time, versus a long delay when turning other trains.  One could reduce this delay by scheduling a visit to the turntable / railyard.  Such implementation seems like an awful lot of work to add something fairly irritating to the game.

Experimental already has the flag that you describe: there are different reversing times for trains that can be driven at each end versus trains with a locomotive that needs to change ends versus a locomotive that needs to change ends *and* be turned on a turntable. What is not practical to simulate is the actual shunting in detail (e.g., disconnecting the locomotive from the train, running it to a turntable, turning it, then reconnecting it to the train). Such shunting operations would add unimaginable complexity to the code.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

The "rail yard", as say a marshalling yard, is often seen in-game now, just as a freight station with parallel sidings, where goods are transshipped. I don't see a building with this role being useful.

I do however think something representative of a rail depot, for the storage of locomotives, carriage works, etc, would add realism, since these are not small pieces of infrastructure. Indeed, they often are economic forces in their own right.

The Hood

The current implementation of simutrans doesn't really have any place for locomotive works or maintenance yards except for the "depot".  I think I've suggested before a couple of alterations which could make this more realistic for experimental:

1) making depots like stations, i.e. multiple tiles.  Depots can only build convoys up to the maximum length of the depot.
2) each depot has a maintenance capacity (either vehicles or convoys).  Although the game wouldn't require trains to ever visit the depot (that is a bit micro-managementy), it would mean you could only have as many vehicles/convoys as you had maintenance capacity to keep running.

That would lead to the need for building larger railway yards.  By extension, these could also act as employment trip-ends in the same way as factories do.

wlindley

Hood - I like #2.  The current vehicle maintenance cost number could become the base cost, and then:

[ul]
  • if there were sufficient maintenance capacity for a player's fleet, the actual vehicle maintenance cost would be something like half the rated value (seeing as the player is paying to maintain the depots)
  • with insufficient maintenance capacity, the base cost for each vehicle would be multiplied by a factor related to the disparity between needed and actual maintenance capacity[/ul]

jamespetts

These are very interesting ideas, but please be aware that I don't have the time to implement major new features in Experimental for quite a while yet. It'd be good to do something like this one day, but the priority at present is getting Experimental balanced as it is and then making Pak128.Britain (and the Experimental version) as complete as possible.

If someone else were to code this, of course, that woul be another matter entirely. And it's quite possible that I'll have time for this one day: but working to complete Pak128.Britain is a higher priority at present, and I haevn't had as much time to do that as I'd like because of coding work necessary to fix bugs and balancing issues in Simutrans-Experimental.

I'm not discouraging, incidentally, people suggesting new ideas for Experimental, but noting that it might be quite a while before I have time to code any of them, even if they are good...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ӔO

I think of it more of a diorama prop for those who might want some more realism in their game.
of course, since it doesn't really serve any purpose other than a visual enhancement it's not really necessary.
I think I might have meant marshaling yard, like AP said. Where it's more of a storage space for unused rolling stock, or cars waiting to be assembled. But of course, only visually. It's quite normal to see rolling stock that are just sitting on a side line, doing nothing.

I just wanted to put out some ideas before I forget them :)

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

sdog

QuoteExperimental already has the flag that you describe: there are different reversing times for trains that can be driven at each end versus trains with a locomotive that needs to change ends versus a locomotive that needs to change ends *and* be turned on a turntable. What is not practical to simulate is the actual shunting in detail

when i suggested the turntable i meant something much simpler than actual, visual, shunting.

in the current system locomotives with tender have a much higer turn around time in experimental than diesel or tank engines. Afaik atm this is flaged in the dat file, the actual time is set in the code?
The idea was to have a station extension building that gives a station a flag to use the turnaround time of tank engines if set. Coding should be reduced to more complex conditionals.

I don't know however how difficult it would be to introduce new flags to stations, and read them in other parts of the code. Such code could possibly used to give stations other flags too, the first that springs to mind is an upgraded stop with fare collection and bared entrances, reducing the load time for passengers (they don't have to pay with the conductor when entering).

jamespetts

Sdog,

an interesting idea: the assumption underlying the existing model, however, is that tender engines take longer to reverse even with a turntable (after all, it takes much longer to turn a locomotive on a turntable than simply run it around the train), and that the presence of a turntable where needed is simply an assumed operational detail not specifically simulated in the same way as refuelling points and signal boxes.

(Incidentally, the various timings are set in simuconf.tab at present).

skreyola

I like the idea of depots that have to be as long as the trains they produce.
I also like the idea of their becoming employment destinations (requiring a platform station nearby).
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

AP

Quote from: skreyola on May 17, 2010, 10:36:48 PM
Emminently sensible, in fact I wonder why it isn't like that already!

QuoteI also like the idea of their becoming employment destinations (requiring a platform station nearby).
Absolutely, or how does the engine driver get to work?! Even further, it wouldn't be out of the question {though might be annoying} to have it require passengers in order to be allowed to produce trains!

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on May 30, 2010, 04:42:57 PM

Absolutely, or how does the engine driver get to work?! Even further, it wouldn't be out of the question {though might be annoying} to have it require passengers in order to be allowed to produce trains!

And how would the passengers get there - by train? Or by 'bus - or would the 'bus depot also require passengers... and so on ad infinitum...?

VS

You would have to place depots into city to get some accidental passengers from its coverage :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

skreyola

Quote from: AP on May 30, 2010, 04:42:57 PM
Coding complexity not warranted for the function (in the early stages of game development).
Also, since these squares represent 1km, not too unreasonable that a utility building should take up only one square for memetic simplicity as well as coding simplicity.
Um... No. I just think the people who work there might want public transit to get there...
--Skreyola

sdog

Either the depot has a very tiny number of passengers assigned which makes it unprofitable to connect to the network or it has a large number. This would be an inivitation for exploits.

Just build a number of relatively cheap depots next to a stop outside of town and magically generate lots of passenger trips there.

My oppinion is in total those suggestions just create a lot of work to implement to get more micromanagement into the game.

jamespetts

I never did understand the "1 tile is 1km" argument in relation to the size of depots, as the treatment of depots is not consistent with that of stations: if it's a good enough reason to have depots just one tile no matter how long the train, why is it not a sufficient reason to do the same with stations?

skreyola

Quote from: jamespetts on May 31, 2010, 08:40:22 AM
I never did understand the "1 tile is 1km" argument in relation to the size of depots, as the treatment of depots is not consistent with that of stations: if it's a good enough reason to have depots just one tile no matter how long the train, why is it not a sufficient reason to do the same with stations?
Because depots are less interesting than stations, at least early in game development.
But your point is an argument in support of making depots larger buildings.

@sdog: The passenger draw should be small, and would likely lead to placing depots near cities so city stations could cover their needs.

Of course, player doesn't HAVE to supply depots with service... just an extra option, or a challenge for those who want 100% coverage.
--Skreyola

jamespetts

Quote from: skreyola on May 31, 2010, 06:43:49 PM
Because depots are less interesting than stations, at least early in game development.

Hmm, I'm not sure that I fully understand that point. Why are depots less interesting than stations in early game development?

skreyola

Quote from: jamespetts on May 31, 2010, 07:13:29 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure that I fully understand that point. Why are depots less interesting than stations in early game development?
Because they only do one thing in ST (build trains/trucks; don't maintain vehicles like in TTD), they are less interesting to players and therefore don't warrant as much coding attention as stations, especially in early versions (under 0.8 or 0.99) of the game, because making things run right is more important than adding new features.
After 1.00, such a building might get a second look, might get additional abilities, might get siding queues, and so might warrant being recoded as multi-tile buildings like stations are.
--Skreyola

Václav

Quote from: skreyola on May 17, 2010, 10:36:48 PM
I also like the idea of their becoming employment destinations (requiring a platform station nearby).

1. Sounds very interesting - trains' length limited by depot size - but I am worried about it is only for experimental. I found multiple-tiled rail depots on japanese.simutrans.com (but still not tested it) - so I know it is possible.

2. Stations as destinations for people - very interesting not only for experimental.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

sdog

Depots as long as the trains fits for modern high speed trains and likely for all *MU. But historical train depots weren't that long, were they? I thought only the engines were repaired and stored in the depots. The train assembled outside.

skreyola

In which case, the yard would be needed as a multi-tile building. :)
I don't think long depots should be limited to Exp. I think they'd make a nice addition to standard.
--Skreyola

Václav

This would cause building central depots - so no more one or more depots per city - but one depot would serve for much more cities - like in real world.

Sdog: some trains are assembled outside of depots - but you have to count also with *MU trains which cannot be disassembled else (for example some modern high speed trains).

Most depots are built from two parts - repairing hall (own depot) and something like this (I am sorry for only link but picture is too large for showing here): out-of-service station (here you can see mostly EMU class 451 - almost present in main pak128 or you can download newer version from Czech language board).

The Hood

Quote from: skreyola on June 11, 2010, 03:54:17 AM
In which case, the yard would be needed as a multi-tile building. :)
I don't think long depots should be limited to Exp. I think they'd make a nice addition to standard.

Think of the depot as not only the construction works, but also the stabling area/carriage sidings where the train was put together...  MUs use up less space because they don't need carriages shunting around all the time, rather than more.

sdog

How about a multi tile building from the start? The paksets could decide for something relatviely large, 4x4 or 3x6. The artists could draw the engine sheds, repair sheds, switch yards, out-of-service-sheds.

Firstly this saves new players the confusion of having to piece the yard together, like stations. Secondly it provides more graphical diversity for paksets.

Especially with experimentals train restriction on certain depots for high speed trains something like this:

for old steamers something like this:

would make it immediately clear what it is for.

I don't think it is sensible to make the depots too expensive. While it's not very bothersome to experienced players to have only one or two for the whole map, it is quite difficult for inexperienced players. Moving a train through an extended network to get to it's actuall route can be tricky (just one word, platform choose signals)

skreyola

Getting a train through an actual network (rather than just a series of routes connected by the shortest distance between them) shouldn't be too difficult, as stations won't be on the main lines, in most cases, anyway.
--Skreyola

ӔO

other things that you might see at the railyard are departmental use railway maintenance vehicles and crane cars, which would otherwise serve no purpose in game.

the flying banana for instance.

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

If multiple tile depots were implemented, I would argue for them being built like stations i.e. 1 tile at a time.  This allows for more creative and flexible layouts.

Václav

Quote from: The Hood on June 12, 2010, 08:25:22 AM
I would argue for them being built like stations i.e. 1 tile at a time.

Yes. This would be needed - but then better price politics has to be set because current price for depot used for one tile would make depot too expensive. I can image that price for one tile of depot would be about seven hudred and fifty or within one thousand - to one track depot would have the same (or similar) expensiveness as current one.

skreyola

Quote from: The Hood on June 12, 2010, 08:25:22 AM
If multiple tile depots were implemented, I would argue for them being built like stations i.e. 1 tile at a time.  This allows for more creative and flexible layouts.
:agree: and :support:
--Skreyola

jamespetts

Returning to one of the economic suggestions discussed earlier about depots requiring workers and encouraging the growth of towns in which they are sited, a very simple way to deal with this would be to require that all depots are built within city limits, then to add the depot to the list of city buildings, and use the "level" (which is already encoded into the depot, by virtue of being a building) to determine just how many (1) mail and passengers are generated; and (2) additional jobs are provided to the city in which it is located. Care would have to be taken by pakset maintainers to ensure that the upkeep cost of a depot always exceeds the revenue that can be generated by transporting mail and passengers to it!

ӔO

how does one know where the city limits are?
afaik, you can set the minimap to show the boundaries, but I haven't really seen anything for displaying the bounds on the main view.

Colour safe chart: