News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

idea: rail yard (multi-tile freight building)

Started by ӔO, May 16, 2010, 07:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

I am sorry but I don't see why I need to know where city boundaries are... because some depots will have to be built far away from cities. And by the way, I think that showing city boundaries on minimap is sufficient.

I have already been using central depots model for some time - for eliminating of some problems with sending trains to depots.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

wlindley

Quote from: AEO on June 21, 2010, 04:13:05 AM
you can set the minimap to show the boundaries, but I haven't really seen anything for displaying the bounds on the main view.

It would be nice if there were another mode of 'v' (show station areas) that would show city boundaries with grey shading.  At some point I am going to have to suss how to make mods like this, hmm..

ӔO

@wlindley
maybe just a yellow box outline would do?

certain shades of 'show station areas' blend in too well with each other.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

skreyola

Quote from: AEO on June 21, 2010, 04:13:05 AM
how does one know where the city limits are?
afaik, you can set the minimap to show the boundaries, but I haven't really seen anything for displaying the bounds on the main view.
Mention it in the GUI overhaul thread. Maybe they'll add it. I'd like this feature. :)
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

jap train fan

the muti rail yard would be interesting
i must admit that simutrans is not that realistic in its graphics looks a bit old

FoxHole

Go for the big Depots. Just like a car assembly plant looks like. I Think this will add reaslism regards to the graphics for the game.  :D

jap train fan

yeh that would be cool
i wonder if simutrans could look like something from the 21st century instead of something from the 19th century

The Hood

Unfortunately I don't think it's quite so simple as "just doing it".  Simutrans is designed the way it is for a reason, and it's not always possible to be 100% realistic - if you did you'd need 1,000s of people to run your network!  Also making big changes to the game code is hard, so only things that will definitely make the game better to play generally get done.  

Much as I'd love to have really complex depots in the game because they would look more realistic, they wouldn't actually add much (apart from confusing some new people) to the game.  What would be good though, is if it was possible to add more "eyecandy" to the map, either as standalone buildings or a bit like current depots/stations on top of ways.  This would allow more graphical "realism" for those that want it without changing gameplay.  Hopefully not too hard to code either?

PS moving this to extension requests as it doesn't have anything to do with pak128.Britain specifically (although I'd probably use the features if implemented and I ever get any time for simutrans again)

nitromefan

Quote from: jap train fan on July 21, 2010, 06:39:52 AM
i wonder if simutrans could look like something from the 21st century instead of something from the 19th century

Pak 128 looks like thing from 21st century. Pak 128 Britain looks like the 19th century.

So I think you should play plain 128 if you want 21st century :D

jap train fan

anyway about the rail yard thingy
would it ever be made

The Hood

Quote from: jap train fan on July 22, 2010, 07:04:55 AM
would it ever be made

You code it, I'll draw it...

jap train fan

know nothing about the coding
maybe someone else can code it if they like the idea
anyone like the idea

mobo

Yes some of us like the idea, but not enough to spend a few weeks coding for this unnecessary feature.

I can't code either, but i liked the idea so much that I've painted a Hall-freight_station and a depot that fits to it. And that's just how it works here. Of course you're welcome to suggest things, but if you really want it to be done - then do it.

Below is a pic of my railyard, to give you some impression. You can paint one for your favorite pakset too, and we will help you if you have problems.

nitromefan

Quote from: jap train fan on July 22, 2010, 07:04:55 AM
would it ever be made

If you are using pak 128 (Not pak 128 Britan) i have found some. download them below.

http://japanese.simutrans.com/index.php?plugin=attach&refer=Addon128%2FOthers&openfile=syako.zip

anyway thats just a station that looks like a depot. not an actual depot itself so u'd have to have an actual depot at the end of it. :)

jap train fan

mobo thats looks really good but i think it looks like it could be put in the comic pak not pak 128 or pak 128 britain
i'm playing pak 128 britain with a lot of jap addons by dirty dicd, hong kong addons and many more

nitromefan

Quote from: jap train fan on July 23, 2010, 10:34:30 AM
mobo thats looks really good but i think it looks like it could be put in the comic pak not pak 128 or pak 128 britain

I'd have to agree

jap train fan

there is a station that looks loke a deport not the deport itself
i think the design put forward by AEO is very good

Fabio

Quote from: jap train fan on July 23, 2010, 10:34:30 AM
i'm playing pak 128 britain with a lot of jap addons by dirty dicd, hong kong addons and many more
This *IS* pak 96.comic.
But if you like the idea, you can paint a similar addon for whatever pak you play.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Isn't is pak32? Looks too small for pak96 imho, but I might be wrong.

Regardless, it's definitely in comic style, which was Fabio's main point. Clearly, jap train fan didn't read mobo's post clearly.

jap train fan

mobo

For clarification: Yes its p32 comic, and it's a preview it will be in the next release.

I just wanted to show what's possible already, without any changes to the code. Also the hall freight station has some useful purpose in game as a high capacity goods station, and is not only an eye candy addon - so i think this is a good solution.

And it's variable, you can make it bigger or smaller, have 2 long halls and 3 short ones or something, really better than changing the code and having one railyard that always looks the same.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on July 23, 2010, 11:42:38 AM
Clearly, jap train fan didn't read mobo's post clearly.

Upon reading this again, that sounds way more nasty/mean than I meant while writing it! My apologies if it was taken that way.

I just meant more like "It looks like he didn't read the post very well :-)", but it came out wrong.

Václav

I think that the first step could be opening (making available) of building depots which are not on only 1 tile - but for example on two or more tiles - but still with width of 1 tile - it means that it will have for example 1*2 or 1*3 tiles.

Once I had a plan to paint this building as depot - but due to its size in real world it would have size 1*2 tiles (but this picture is picture of model in scale 1:87)

And this is real (current) quality

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

mobo

seems like noone reads my posts. At least noone of the younger members. Actually i wanted to bring this thread to an end with my first post already, but torture never stops it seems.

So to make it clear: It is not going to happen, noone will change the depot code for you.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Please note that nitromefan has been changed to a "Lounger"; therefore, any followups for them from this thread should be directed there.

For more information, see here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5620.0

If this post is a double-post, it is intentional.

Please continue the thread. If you have any questions about this post, please start a new topic in the Help Requests board.

INJMVO

This topic inspired me to draw my first building.
It is a steam depot for a small to medium station.
As suggested above, I coded it as a station extension
I hope you like it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34qh6v4o9e6yvv6/Steamdepot.png

There is still room for some locomotives and a car or carriage.
if someone would like to draw those

I liked to draw it so I started with other depots (boat and car)

greenling

INJMVO
The building Steamdepot looks good out!
But for what a Pakset it´s the Building?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!