News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Addon: Eye-See Mart

Started by stmaker, May 21, 2010, 11:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stmaker

I had made a store before I made this account. Look below for attachment to download.

Can anyone give me more tips to change a bit?

EDIT: You can edit the store images. Just put some credits.

Also, people suggest this:

Normal Version:

- Add something in store (can be seen through the door and windows)
- Mix colours with a bit of dirt
- Change Building Colour (or Adding wall texture)
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Gouv

Short Version: take a closer look at the Pictures of the real Buildings of the same Type(Google Image Search?), might help alot. Helped me at least.

Long Version: :D
-No Shadows (alright, there is not much place for it);
-What is it on the roof? Looks odd in that Position/Angle(make parallel to the Front wall?) and kinda small;
-The Roof is pretty empty, maybe add some Lights/signs/Air Conditioner/Solar Cells?
-Doors and the Window have the same color, are both made out of the same Material? If they are supposed to be translucent, try to imitate the Floor/Furniture inside that could be seen through them.
-with solid Colors only the Building looks unnatural, try mixing some 'Noise-Pixels' into it. Maybe just a slight Color-Variation or Dirt.

Winter-Image:
-might add some snow on top of that Sign(?) on the roof and on the Edges of the Building itself;
-maybe add more snow behind the Building? Your Choice.

stmaker

Quote from: Gouv on May 21, 2010, 03:14:14 PM
Long Version:
-No Shadows (alright, there is not much place for it);
-What is it on the roof? Looks odd in that Position/Angle(make parallel to the Front wall?) and kinda small;
-The Roof is pretty empty, maybe add some Lights/signs/Air Conditioner/Solar Cells?
-Doors and the Window have the same color, are both made out of the same Material? If they are supposed to be translucent, try to imitate the Floor/Furniture inside that could be seen through them.
-with solid Colors only the Building looks unnatural, try mixing some 'Noise-Pixels' into it. Maybe just a slight Color-Variation or Dirt.

Winter-Image:
-might add some snow on top of that Sign(?) on the roof and on the Edges of the Building itself;
-maybe add more snow behind the Building? Your Choice.

Shadows... erm... it needs to be realistic, right?
The roof is still on under construction. I will make vents.
The sign... I'll tweak it a bit.
I might make an image of shelves in the windows and door. (But it will affect the lightning)
Mixing Noise-Pixels? What's that? Can you show me?

Ok, adding snow above the sign looks more perfect.
I've added show behind the store. :P

Any more suggestions guys?
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Václav

Its main problem is that still fits to one of two comic sets (96 or 192). It needs many hours of work.

1. Walls are not textured.
2. Grey stripe in winter version causes very strange effect - it seems like doors are higher than in summer version.
3. Roof is not separated from sides.
4. Green is too bright - mainly on roof.

And for this time it is all.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 22, 2010, 07:30:19 AM
2. Grey stripe in winter version causes very strange effect - it seems like doors are higher than in summer version.
3. Roof is not separated from sides.
4. Green is too bright - mainly on roof.

So, you're telling me to add white strips instead of grey?

Then... what do you mean by "Roof is not separated from sides"?

And... I was thinking of adding a bit of reddish brown.

EDIT:

Ok, this is my sketch.

Václav

Quote from: STransMaker on May 22, 2010, 08:06:12 AM
So, you're telling me to add white strips instead of grey?

Colour is irrelevant. Important is bottom edge and also shape.
I guess it should be piles of snow but -
you sticked it under basic edge of walls and so it makes building little higher than it is in summer version - see attached picture (red is yours, green shows as it should be; I made wrong width of door but important is its bottom edge)

Then... what do you mean by "Roof is not separated from sides"?
Different colour is not sufficient way for separating of roof from side walls.
See brown building on this picture (from cold case/project)

or new small gas station added into game (or other buildings with flat roof which are in game).

stmaker

Oh thank you :D

EDIT:

Second Sketch. Can someone improve on by drawing? (I need pavements around the store)

I've added glass door, wall texture and mat in the store via seen in windows.

VS

edit: Seems you beat me to it. Pretty much everything I covered is fixed. Well, another of my drawing rants is archived... ;D

Yes, if you want this building to look good among pak128 buildings, you want to make it look realistic. The comic-like style used by some paksets is easier. But well, here we go...

Wall texture?

Google a photo of a house. Any photo, let's say, this one or this one. Copy the image and paste in paint.

I dare you to fill some part of the picture with bucket. Doesn't work, eh? Because the pixels are a bit different, each of these. It's a subtle effect (here most of it comes from low quality of picture), but it's what we normally see and what the eye expects. If you just make a wall one colour, it's different and the brain thinks "smooth"... like a wall made of plastic.

Like with everything, you have to know how much is enough. If you put in "some noise" and the wall suddenly looks like TV static... overkill! ;) Try less. Usually default setting for noise-ifying (?) in graphic editors is quite high.

If the walls are really smooth, there will be some non-uniformity even so. Usually in real world we have weather and walls get somewhat dirty... or rusty... or whatever else.

That's the minimum, of course. Try looking at more pictures of houses and you will see that walls are not one thing, same all the way from the bottom up to roof. These two houses use some kind of striped material (?) and somewhere else you can actually see bricks.

And sometimes there is a part of substructures (?) visible... like here... or other things...

And that was just walls :) So, when you want to paint, try to look at things and see. Find pictures, look and ask - are there any parts that make "it" up? Is it clean or dirty - and what is the pattern of dirt? How did it come to be? How did it age? Does it affect its surroundings in some way?

It seems a lot, but it's very easy. So - if you want to draw a store - find a store (or a good picture), look and think for a bit. You will surely find a lot of ways to improve your graphic :)

Shading and windows... that's another part. First, don't use black lines like you did on first picture. This is how kids do it, and there is a good reason for that - human vision prefers edges. If you think for a moment about wireframe models, these are the essence of a thing condensed into edges :P Regardless, this is not how it looks in real world, again. In reality the edges are often defined by sharp change in colour and/or texture. And shading takes care of t least the first half well.

Also, with windows, you'll see they are often inset into walls...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

stmaker

Ok, that's what I heard it -.-

EDIT:

Third Sketch. (I decided not to add pavements around the store...)

Adding shelves in the store via seen on the window (needs to be improved), adding window beside the glass door, adding dirt, adding some "guard" on the roof (needs to be improved)

Forth Sketch. (Edited from second sketch, want to do a redo)

Added sign beside door, updated shelves in store via can be seen in the window, added person in store via window, adding small dirt to the 2 corners and 2 between the glass door.

Also, I just downloaded Blender, but, it's hard to make a single building. I'll just keep it.

Václav

Much better ... but it would not be over all area of one tile.

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 24, 2010, 10:05:30 AM
Much better ... but it would not be over all area of one tile.

Well, I used the tile :P I guess it's not over.

EDIT:

Now it's the roof to be updated...

Also, I wish there is a pak128.comic. :P

Now, the fifth sketch!

Added another window at the east, added some shelves again (seen through eastern window), added some dirt on the other corner, added graffiti saying "Pro!" and finally added, THE ROOF! (but it needs to improve :P)

Gouv

Indeed much better now.
But why did you fill the whole Tile out? Your Building's Entrance might end up pressed into a Wall of another Building >.<
Since it's a Market-Building, you can use more than 1 Tile for it and put some Pavement around or at least in front of the Building. Maybe even add a Parking Lot. But of course it's all up to you.
I miss a Sign above the Entrance a little ;)

stmaker

I don't know where to space out for pavements.

Also, I only show one side of the building.

EDIT:

Also, looks like I going to finish my sketch. I'm going on winter version.

Winter version:

Needs to improve I guess. :P

Those on the windows are blurred and have some "mist"

onre

The roof looks very weird. As if it were a one-storey building with an asymmetrical Quonset hut on top of it.

stmaker

Quote from: onre on May 25, 2010, 09:43:54 AM
The roof looks very weird. As if it were a one-storey building with an asymmetrical Quonset hut on top of it.

Dude... I am just learning... -.-

VS

Yep, getting round shapes right in isometric is not easy. If it's any consolation, I can't do them, either :-(

A great trick to help with these hard shapes is having an actual model in 3d. You don't have to learn all the bells and whistles. But if you are able to even just create the real shape and turn it so that it's in similar position, bingo - you can make a screenshot and trace that.

Here's one for full half circle...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

stmaker

Do you use SketchUp for that image? (Just curious)

And it is hard to make a semi-circle roof.

VS

Wings3d. But I'm told SketchUp is very easy, too...

stmaker

Quote from: VS on May 25, 2010, 10:32:32 AM
Wings3d. But I'm told SketchUp is very easy, too...

Hehe, but SketchUp doesn't support isometric... sigh!

EDIT:
Sixth sketch (redo from fifth but removed the semi-circle roof)

Ok, I changed the roof to flat again (oops, forget the texture :P). I followed this design:

Václav

Quote from: STransMaker on May 25, 2010, 11:22:19 AM
Hehe, but SketchUp doesn't support isometric... sigh!

I don't use it but if I am not wrong, coal powerplant was made with help of SketchUp.
And see topics
Help with Google SketchUp
google SketchUp
Setting up Google SketchUp for rendering models for Simutrans
... and use Search button for finding more topics about it.

stmaker

"Could Be" Last Sketch:

Added roof texture.

Looks like I'm ready to make this in the game. Wish me good luck. :P

Václav

Seems be very good.
I think I can agree with you that time for writing of dat file came.

So forgive me this question: what goods will be transported (t)here to sell?

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 28, 2010, 07:22:16 AM
Seems be very good.
I think I can agree with that time for writing of dat file came.

So forgive me this question: what goods will be transported (t)here to sell?

This is a store. And I don't think factories use one tile.

I'm going to use the online dat from Simutrans Germany Site.

Václav

Of course. Store (or shop) needs some goods to sell. It is last element and so it only consumes goods.

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 28, 2010, 07:28:55 AM
Of course. Store (or shop) needs some goods to sell. It is last element and so it only consumes goods.

So, like, factories can be made in a tile? wow...

Anyways, I will try to get it ready.

EDIT:

Wow, I can't make factories -.-

Václav

Quote from: STransMaker on May 28, 2010, 07:31:27 AM
So, like, factories can be made in a tile? wow...
Yes.

See modelkit chain from japanese.simutrans.com. Its last element is also over only one tile.

To prepare dat file of factory try to use TileCutter.

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 28, 2010, 07:39:48 AM
Yes.

See modelkit chain from japanese.simutrans.com. Its last element is also over only one tile.

To prepare dat file of factory try to use TileCutter.

TileCutter made by Timothy? I'm trying to find it to download.

EDIT:

I have the file already. Enjoy! :D
PS: You can modify it but give me credits!

Václav

I see that you coded it like citybuilding. So it was misunderstanding from my side.

I improved it a little:
chance - cannot be higher than 100 - because this number is in percents
noinfo=0 - default value is 0; deleted
noconstruction=0 - I don't know puporse of noconstruction command but deleted too; reason of deleting it the same as for line noinfo

stmaker

Thanks. But how to add description?

Václav

Via translation. Use (for example) PSPad and write file of name en_building.Eye-See_Mart.tab and inside that file write this:
Eye-see_Mart
Eye-see_Mart (...and something more //or anything else// if you need...)

but that *.tab file has to be placed in pak128/text dir.

stmaker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on May 28, 2010, 08:27:16 AM
Via translation. Use (for example) PSPad and write file of name en_building.Eye-See_Mart.tab and inside that file write this:
Eye-see_Mart
Eye-see_Mart (...and something more //or anything else// if you need...)

but that *.tab file has to be placed in pak128/text dir.

Ok... thanks

stmaker