News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

hi

Started by Brambo, May 24, 2010, 10:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brambo

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, so I though I'd best introduce myself a bit. My name is Bram, I live in The Netherlands, and I after getting into Simutrans a few months ago, I have become a big fan. Then, I tried experimental, and I must say that it is even better, especially with the routing features! Great job to everybody who worked on it, and I guess especially James!

Now, since this is the experimental forum, I guess I should give some feedback too. I've just downloaded 8.0, so far it's working. I spotted a small bug in the "new map" window: it says "Nrumber of cities". ;)

Something I also noticed is that cars do not overtake each other. This leads to serious congestion on roads. I thought road vehicles should overtake? Or is that only in standard? Or for buses/trucks only? ???

Anyway, I suppose I'll have more to report later :) Maybe there is something else I could help with. I can program, but this weird C-thing code hurts my Java-based eyes. :P Perhaps the Dutch translation needs updating? Or is that actively maintained already?

Greetings!
Bram

jamespetts

Bram,

hello and welcome to the forums - thank you for your interest in Simutrans-Experimental! I'm glad that you like it so much. Incidentally, the credit for much of the work on routing goes to Knightly, who completely rewrote my original code and made it work orders of magnitude faster. C++ is indeed a somewhat painful language to use on occasions, but it is at least fast and compatible with many platforms. The best general tip for programming in C++, I think, is to think like a computer.

As to overtaking - cars can indeed overtake each other. I have not (knowingly) changed this in Simutrans-Experimental: do note that the circumstances in which they can overtake each other is rare (for example, they will not do so if there is any oncoming traffic, if they would have to exceed the speed limit to overtake, or if the difference in speed between the two is too low). If overtaking really does not work at all, it would be a bug.

Thank you for the report of the bug in relation to the typing error: this is an error in the English translation text, not the code itself, and will be fixed in the next version. As for the Dutch translation - I don't know whether any of the Simutrans-Experimental specific texts have been translated into Dutch: have a look at Simutranslator to see what you can find. If there is no official translation yet, you are more than welcome to make one ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.