News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Elevated way issue

Started by AP, June 17, 2010, 08:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi

Just discovered an issue with the elevated ways:

When building over an existing city, the elevated way will build over some buildings but not others. This occurs in the 1860s, when all houses etc are not-very-tall, and more strangely, it will allow the construction of an elevated way over a house tile from the front, but not from the back or sides (ie you can't join together more than about 2 tiles of elevated way over houses in a city).

I've got round the issue in -game by double-stacking my elevated ways, but that's both tedious and undesirable long term.

Thought I'd report it, anyhow.  :)

The Hood

Not sure this is a pak issue, but sounds rather more like a game issue to me. 

Can you give more detail on which buildings you can build over and which you can't?

neroden

Hmm.  I see this too.  It's a little difficult to explain which buildings are buildable-over, because in-game it's not immediately obvious how to get the internal names of the buildings (and most of them have very similar descriptions).

AP

I could set up a screenshot if that helps. (Not sure it would, though!).

AP

I just tried, fairly methodically, to go down the list of buildings and try them on 4 rotations and see what was happening to each. Succinctly, almost every building, there is only one side onto which you can build. Which means you can never bridge "over" the building, since you can get onto the tile but not off.

There are a few exceptions. For instance:

KG_Com_1880_1 (3 storey Victorian terraced shops) works - it will allow the terrace to be spanned perpendicularly, but not in parallel with the building direction (ie NS but not EW where terrace runs EW), which makes sense {there is also a  clipping issue because as a 3storey bldg it's taller than the arch!)
KG_Com_1880_0 works exactly the same (looks the same too!)

JH_COM_00_16A works similarly which looks similarly weird because it's also taller than the elevated way viaduct.

A_Com_1880_01 (looks like a department store 5 storey) refuses to be spanned at all, because it's too tall i guess.

I went down the list ignoring timeline, as farm as JH_Com_00_16b and those 4 are the only ones which display "interesting "behaviour.

I have a savegame but it's telling me its a bit of a large file! All was done on latest versions of pak-gb and simutrans.

Dwachs

It seems to be a bug in the program not in the pak set.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm moving this thread...

prissi

In old ages, the only building with four rotations were end of way stops or depots. This probably explains the confusion of the wayfinder. Seems a valid bug.

Dwachs

There is also a patch by z9999 on the Japanese forum. I can work on this, if nobody objects.

prissi

Gryphonite

I don't know if it is intentional, but you can often connect two adjacent sections of elevated railway by using the normal railway construction tool which may be a work around for this.

There does also seem to be an issue here of some buildings being taller than the elevated railway and then clipping through it.

Dwachs

Quote from: Gryphonite on July 25, 2010, 10:59:15 PM
I don't know if it is intentional, but you can often connect two adjacent sections of elevated railway by using the normal railway construction tool which may be a work around for this.
This is intended. The bug report was for construction of real elevated ways.
There does also seem to be an issue here of some buildings being taller than the elevated railway and then clipping through it.
Hard to fix. Currently simutrans forbids to build over buildings that are taller than one tile, which is obviously not sufficient to prevent these clipping errors.

Dwachs

The issues with the elevated ways should be sorted out in rev 3608.