News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Big Ships

Started by Zeno, October 04, 2008, 02:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I've been making some experiments, mixing my "Big Planes" techniques with ships  ;)
This one has been done with with 254px captures (note it means to be 397 meters long).

PS: I think I'll need bigger docks (the crane looks nice!), and bigger depot window!
PS2: Why is the tonnage modified? I promise in the DAT file I wrote 170,974t. Where does those 39,902t comes from?

Zeno

Anyway, here's the pak for the Emma Maersk. Available from 8/2006.
Current capacity: 1400 crates.
RC: 80 cr/km.
Happy sailing ;D

VS

Oooh. Very nice. One particular thing to change before including anything like this in official releases is disallowing these giants on artificial waterways...

PS: The tonnage is different due to overflow. Convert 170974 to binary, truncate to last 16 bits and voila, 39902 :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Using some x and y offset to center them on a pak128 may help to allieviate some of the biggest graphical issues connecting with those giants.

VS

I guess Zeno already used them on some views.

The problem is that a ocean ship like this doesn't belong to canals - and with its size it looks plain horrible in turns, no matter what.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Quote from: VS on October 04, 2008, 08:22:18 PM
The problem is that a ocean ship like this doesn't belong to canals - and with its size it looks plain horrible in turns, no matter what.
Oh yes, it would be great to restrict to enter canals or not, even restricting minimum dock size or similar, but I guess it's not possible by now... Anyway, if you don't tell it to sail into canals... it won't do by itself!  ;)

PS: For the tonnage, I think I will limit the tonnage to 65000t and use gear about 0.4

ariarinen

Quote from: Zeno on October 05, 2008, 10:30:31 AM
Oh yes, it would be great to restrict to enter canals or not, even restricting minimum dock size or similar, but I guess it's not possible by now... Anyway, if you don't tell it to sail into canals... it won't do by itself!  ;)

PS: For the tonnage, I think I will limit the tonnage to 65000t and use gear about 0.4
Very nice boat, but it can travel true canals it takes the Suez canal on it trip to China form Europe, it would be kinda a stupid to take the de tour down to South African and take the risk at Cape Agulhas. But if you look at the Knock Nevis then Emma Maersk is quite small. 

MS Oasis of the Seas or MS Freedom of the Seas would be nice to have as well.   

Edit: It seems to be very pricey   ::) But I think I can save some by having just four of them instead of 40 smaller  ;D

VS

We're not talking Suez, rather canals like these:
http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pontcysyllte_aqueduct_arp.jpg

Since we do have canal bridges, and while current ships in 128 can use them and not look that bad, differentiation between seafaring craft and inland barges et al would be good.

Zeno

lol... For a moment I had the image of the Emma Maersk stucked on that bridge ;D

ariarinen

Quote from: VS on October 05, 2008, 11:27:58 AM
We're not talking Suez, rather canals like these:
http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/Inland-Waterways-of-England.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pontcysyllte_aqueduct_arp.jpg

Since we do have canal bridges, and while current ships in 128 can use them and not look that bad, differentiation between seafaring craft and inland barges et al would be good.
Ah, I don't see dose as canals rather small waterways  ;D. But have to try that I has to look quite cool, but the simutarns canals has to be quite big as well is every square is 1 KM or so. 

Edit: Yeah it did not go so well the ship did take the high way and it did even fly   ::)

VS

Heh. Perhaps I went too far with these links, but I couldn't find anything better at that point.

I'd love to see ships like this in 128, too, but the requirements are quite a lot higher than for planes - these need just a wider runway and that's all in most cases.

Zeno

Unfortunately, I agree with you: too many changes needed for these ships... I'll better try with smaller ships or maybe get back to my planes for a while ::)

DirrrtyDirk

I like the idea. (I had already thought of trying something like myself one day). And I don't really see a problem with canals - any player who uses this type of ship on a canal (simutrans, not suez  ;) ) deserves what he gets, IMO  ;D.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Well, I am not fundamentally opposed to their existence... it's just... dunno.

DirrrtyDirk

Well not everything that exists needs to be part of the official pakset. There's always the status "addon". Sometimes we tend to forget that.  ;)

VS

Of course, that's what I meant! No going official before they can be restricted to sea, otherwise do what you want :D

ariarinen

Quote from: Zeno on October 05, 2008, 02:49:45 PM
Unfortunately, I agree with you: too many changes needed for these ships... I'll better try with smaller ships or maybe get back to my planes for a while ::)
Yeah, the planes are much more fun, and they are much better then the pak planes so.

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 05, 2008, 03:06:34 PM
I like the idea. (I had already thought of trying something like myself one day). And I don't really see a problem with canals - any player who uses this type of ship on a canal (simutrans, not suez  ;) ) deserves what he gets, IMO  ;D.
I was not economical as a canal ship either I had to small margins just 50 %, but it was kinda cool seeing it driving and flying on the high way.  

VS

You can almost imagine those simu-people, eyeing the monstrous hull over their heads: first those giant planes, now they even put ships into air... hope there isn't bug and the bridge doesn't fall... ;D

DirrrtyDirk

Getting a bit off-topic, but in Germany there's a ship builder (famous for Cruise Ships), the Meyer Werft, that actually isn't even located near the coast, but inland on a rather small river. I've seen it on TV - it looks really weird when a huge cruise ships is driving through grassland plains...

Picture from http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=d&main=3&subs=0&did=1498

I guess in simutrans that'd become even more extreme - i.e. the ship eventually being wider than the canal/river...  :D

ariarinen

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 05, 2008, 04:05:36 PM
Getting a bit off-topic, but in Germany there's a ship builder (famous for Cruise Ships), the Meyer Werft, that actually isn't even located near the coast, but inland on a rather small river. I've seen it on TV - it looks really weird when a huge cruise ships is driving through grassland plains...

Picture from http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=d&main=3&subs=0&did=1498

I guess in simutrans that'd become even more extreme - i.e. the ship eventually being wider than the canal/river...  :D
Meyer Weft dose mostly roll on/roll off ferries they are not so big, but it can't be that hard to drive it when most new boats has ABB Azipod. And if you compare them to the ships built in Turku Finland then they are quite small, but there is much greater room but the water is quite shallow and full small islands.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4690530

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: ariarinen on October 06, 2008, 12:46:53 PM
Meyer Weft dose mostly roll on/roll off ferries they are not so big, but it can't be that hard to drive it when most new boats has ABB Azipod.

And if you compare them to the ships built in Turku Finland then they are quite small,

Comparing the ships on both pictures... yes you are right: ~315m instead of ~339m length and ~37m instead of ~38.5m beam is so much smaller! It's by far not as impressive to see these on a small river than the vastly bigger Finnish ships...  ::)

And in case you didn't notice: this was not about the overall size (I never said they were the biggest) but about relative size to the river - never even saying that this was the only place or the worst ratio between ship size and river size. I just gave one example. Which was BTW linked to the discussion about ships in simutrans looking too big for simutrans canals.

And at least on the wikipedia shiplist (just a selection, but none the less) for Meyer Werft there are over 20 Cruise ships mentioned and just one ferry (judging by the names of ships and companies, I haven't looked them up) - so claiming that they do "mostly roll on/roll off ferries" (and even if they did, it wouldn't change the fact that they build quite a number of fairly large cruise ships as well) is probably a bit off the mark.

ariarinen

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 06, 2008, 02:38:49 PM
Comparing the ships on both pictures... yes you are right: ~315m instead of ~339m length and ~37m instead of ~38.5m beam is so much smaller! It's by far not as impressive to see these on a small river than the vastly bigger Finnish ships...  ::)

And in case you didn't notice: this was not about the overall size (I never said they were the biggest) but about relative size to the river - never even saying that this was the only place or the worst ratio between ship size and river size. I just gave one example. Which was BTW linked to the discussion about ships in simutrans looking too big for simutrans canals.

And at least on the wikipedia shiplist (just a selection, but none the less) for Meyer Werft there are over 20 Cruise ships mentioned and just one ferry (judging by the names of ships and companies, I haven't looked them up) - so claiming that they do "mostly roll on/roll off ferries" (and even if they did, it wouldn't change the fact that they build quite a number of fairly large cruise ships as well) is probably a bit off the mark.

I did not see the 315 meters ship but now I have, but if you see most of them are 290-295 meters. The biggest ship class in Turku are 360 meters and the beam is 47 meters and 8 Wärtsilä V12 Engines  :o. So the build those in Papenburg and the smaller ships in Rostock, I would do the opposite.

They have added the cruise ships, later in the 80's but they are well known for there roll on/roll off ferries like Silja Europa to name one. The wiki list are quite incomplete   ::)

DirrrtyDirk

Yes, but even "only" 290-295m is a very large ship if you happen to encounter it on a small river more than 30km away from the sea, isn't it? And that's what this was all about.  ;)

ariarinen

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 07, 2008, 05:11:02 PM
Yes, but even "only" 290-295m is a very large ship if you happen to encounter it on a small river more than 30km away from the sea, isn't it? And that's what this was all about.  ;)
Yes it might be, but the worst part has to be to get it in to the river as its only around 50 meters wide while its around 100 meters most of the way or more. I think it was a huge task before but most new ships pods so they can maneuver much easier. I think it would be more impressive to see it on the autobahn  like it did in the game ::)      

VS

Anyone tried this puppy in 64? I did :D

... how about some pak32...

Zeno

Quote from: VS on October 27, 2008, 05:34:12 PM
Anyone tried this puppy in 64? I did :D
OOOOMG!!  :o
Quote from: VS on October 27, 2008, 05:34:12 PM
... how about some pak32...
Pak32 mantainers will complain if you try to get THAT into the poor little pak... ;D

VS

In 32 you could fit a small city on the deck. Or an airport and make it a carrier :D

Zeno

:-\ Mmmm... I'll better get back to my excel ;D

EdiBola

Where can I find this blue terminal to 128?

VS

Sorry, it's only in pak64.

EdiBola

=//////////

We have a few things about ships to 128,a few days ago I've found the Emma Maersk to 128 and a super oil tanker,but only this.

KR4350

Can Emma Maersk be the super oil tanker?

Zeno

You can find the Emma Maersk at the first page of this topic.
The Batillus Supertanker can be found here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=867.0
Probably there will be newer versions, as well as new ships, but at the moment I've got other things in the todo list :(

EdiBola

Yes I have this two ships,but I want to find new ships and terminals and is very hardous to find this.

KR4350

Thanks very much Zeno =]

Edibola:
I agree with you
I think there should be a bigger dock for Emma :P