News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

NEW CITYRULES

Started by Fabio, October 05, 2008, 10:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

Hi folks,

in a bunch of spare time, i started playing with cityrules 7*7...

This far, i reengineered the roads, with a 2*2 tiles pattern (square blocks) with some variants.

Next step will be the houses, and the handling of stations and stops (i.e. city growing immediately near a station, i'll try what's the best).

Hoping in your feedback on the outcome so far, i'll let you test my new cityrules.tab

;)

VS

Good work. Occasional monuments completely mess the grid up, but that doesn't matter.

The only problems are that sometimes structure degenerates to 2x1. On the other hand, larger blocks spring up as well. Plus you haven't finished the other half of rules, so this is too early for such judgement.

I don't know it it's easy, but maybe extending to accomodate larger blocks such as 3x? could help...

And welcome back :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Thank you all!!!

my idea is that the blocks should be 2*2, 3*2.
unfortunately it's not so easy to set grids bigger than 2*2. i'm working into 3*2. i'm not a fan of 3*3 for two reasons: i don't like enclosed houses, better for them to have a side on the street; i like the idea of a bus stop covering all the block from one single road.
1*x is not the best solution, but sometimes it "moves" the city: i set up a perfect 2*2 gid, but it was too much.
Anyway, this week i'll look some more into the code and next weekend i hope i'll have some good news.

Bottom line, i'm very glad to see you all, when i can go online.

Take care!!!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: fabio on October 05, 2008, 02:13:42 PM
Bottom line, i'm very glad to see you all, when i can go online.

Certainly feels good to have you around again, too!

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Well, even with 7x7 rules one can do only so much... But if blocks 2xn appear on a regular basis, it's quite an improvement already. No enclosed houses - fair enough.

And yes, it's nice to have you around again.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

Hey!

Here's an update, finally--

Please, do test it and let me know!!!!

Fabio

A few more information:

the basic tile is 2x2, but it develops a wide range of variants (including, unfortunately, 1*x)...
there are a lot of 2*x and some 3*x.
the pattern is quite regular.
I made a rule, also, for cutting long intercity diagonals, where you can't build a stop.
unfortunately, it creates a very small roundabout, but i think it's not too bad.

Please test it and give me feedback.

See you soon!

Fabio

any feedback yet?

let me know, plz, so i can work some more on them ,if needed...

EDIT: removed the old version, better not to mix them up...

gauthier

It looks nice but I have a problem with monuments that it already exists in the old cityrules : when there are several monuments next to each other, I have this :

========
=M=M=M=
========

= : city road
M : monument

VS

Yes, I have noticed that, too. But monuments are interfering with pretty much any rules, from my perspective as a player they just pop randomly in some locations and break the grid.

I'll add these rules to 128, they seem fine :)

Fabio

Quote from: VS on October 14, 2008, 05:43:43 PM
I'll add these rules to 128, they seem fine :)

Thank you! and thank you all for your feedback... not let's find something else to work on, ihihihihihih

gauthier

Are you good at economy in Simutrans ? I'm not good at it and nobody can test my projects so I don't know if it is profitable  :-\

DirrrtyDirk

gauthier, just wait until the new balancing for pak128 is done - with the same tools that will be produced there, you should be able to calculate prices for your projects as well. No need to things twice or more at the same time.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Combuijs

I'm playing with a nightly pak128. I'm using the 276 version (from around 19-12-2008). These cityrules seem to generate the following behaviour which I have not noticed before.

In the picture below you see north of the Pilsdon Elsenham station a lonely piece of road. This was not created by me, nor the result of me tinkering with the roads. The station was there first and the cityrules have generated this piece of road later. I don't think this is correct, it leads to roads that are not connected to any other road in the city. This is not the only example I have, it happens more times.

Any idea if the cityrules are causing this, or is the Simutrans behaviour itself recently changed?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

VS

IMO regardless of the cityrules, this should not happen -> bug (road can be built, but the ribis should be set correctly). And it has been around for years... or it just reappeared again.

Btw: I don't know if it happens again, too, but if the bug is reinstantiated fully, connections to tunnel portals and bridge heads should appear, too ;)

Fabio

this is INTENDED.
the new cityrules build this road if the staion is as long as 3 tiles or more. this is for building a cityroad serving a railways station (usually longer 3 tiles or more; it's not possible to set 4 tiles unfortunately). bus stops (in most cases) are only 1 or two tiles, so they shouldn't trigger this behaviour. being this stop 3 tiles long, it generated this road.
(and i'm vey proud that it worked as intended, i only could test it with fast growth (+100 button).

VS

Oh, I didn't notice!

However there is still this BUG that the road should not connect where it can't. Regardless of cityrules, this must not happen... no?

Fabio

true, i've seen it just now...