News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

No transfer at overcrowded stations.

Started by Lord Vetinari, July 30, 2010, 09:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skreyola

I took tolerance to mean something like "margin of error" or "maximum detour", given the way it was worded by the OP.
That is, if the ideal route (over a crowded station) is not available, how far out of his way with simuzen Bob go to reach his destination before deciding he won't go at all?
If the ideal route is two legs totaling 50km, but the alternate route is two legs, one 30km and the other 40km, will Bob make the trip or not? (I'm picturing here something like a right triangle).
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

jamespetts

Wouldn't it make sense to determine that in terms of journey time, not distance?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

skreyola

Logically, yes... but IRL, people will often look at the mileage even if the speed is faster. That is, "I'm not going way out there to get to this place". Anyway, if you make it by time, I think it won't help.
They're already trying to go through the (theoretically) fastest station. That's why it's overcrowded. But the distance would enable you to stop looking at a route if it's over so much more than the original.
Am I wrong?

Anyway, I'm talking about what I think was meant by tolerance, not necessarily what is the best overall system.
--Skreyola

jamespetts

In reality, don't people look at timetables? Certainly, in the UK there is a website with railway timetables that will automatically calculate the fastest route between any given origin and destination station in the UK. In London, there is a website that will do that for all locations and all forms of transport, from trains to boats or walking. These sites tend to be used quite heavily. Furthermore, people often rely on schematic maps provided by transport companies that do not accurately show relative distances.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

skreyola

Timetables are one thing, but imagine if you were going from Jacksonville, FL, to Austin Texas. If the straight line were crowded and took longer, would you really want to go on a slightly faster train that went by way of Orlando? (or from Berlin to Warsaw by way of Rome?)
--Skreyola

Fabio

Quote from: skreyola on August 04, 2010, 02:34:01 AM
Timetables are one thing, but imagine if you were going from Jacksonville, FL, to Austin Texas. If the straight line were crowded and took longer, would you really want to go on a slightly faster train that went by way of Orlando? (or from Berlin to Warsaw by way of Rome?)

It depends on the journey time: sure not by train or bus/car, possibly by plane.
Also, better a 200 km distance by high speed train than 150 km by local train.

jamespetts

Quote from: skreyola on August 04, 2010, 02:34:01 AM

Not if it took longer, as such an immense detour inevitably would.

colonyan

How about make detour some temporary/irregular event?
There are always people active enough to search the alternative.
Maybe say X% of passenger could use other route if one or more
of his original transfers was full?
This disregarding the inefficiency of the alternative.
Lets suppose they are desperate to get to their destination.
Although, I kind of can feel coders doesn't like this kind of irregular
approach.

Dwachs

Is there a volunteer out there, who would like to start porting the simutrans-experimental routing of goods back to standard?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

Routing of goods in standard does already competition. Two AI (or you and an AI) can compete for goods.

Same works for passengers at busy stops. A single bus stop in later game overcrowds fast and passengers will seek new connections soon.

What is probably needed is more caching especially for large games (with some lookup table caching already found routes, filling gradually) and an advanced route search. The simutrans-experimental approach is too complex with way too many parameters for me. Also there seems to be memory leak(s), the memory consumption of the routing is increasing and increasing during tests with SE.