News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Fixed fare for urban transport

Started by Fabio, August 03, 2010, 02:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

In most (all?) cities you buy a ticket to access subway, busses, trams and this ticket is a lump sum amount.
I wonder if in ST it could be possible/desirable to have a fixed fare for all pax journeys with origin and destination within city limits.

smu42

I guess it would be possible, but I fail to see an advantage (beside realism).

In reality another advantage is simplicity for the passengers. But since we already have a more detailed "price model" in simutrans (and the simutrans passengers really don't care), I would like to stick with the current price model. It wouldn't hurt to have the option, though.

diegoviagens

I also agree with Fabio, I'd love to be able to standardize the rates, I
I find it a very bad SimuTrans as an example of a city having
several city buses running at different rates
Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Seems like most transit systems with fixes rates I'm aware of are also subsidized... Does this match what others know? Of course, especially interested for non-US systems, as that's more of what I know. :)

smu42

QuoteSeems like most transit systems with fixes rates I'm aware of are also subsidized

This is true for some (I guess all) German local transport organisations.

kierongreen

In the uk many large cities have flat rate fares whether or not the route in question is subsidised, however I think this is unneccesary in simutrans.

colonyan

What will be the impact on game play of this feature?
If different price rule apply for specific area, wouldn't this make game slower?

prissi

All japanese cities have a fare which increased every third station or so. German cities have svereal sections, and flat far is only within one section. So this is not entirely true.

In the US, most bus networks I travelled with were rather small, covering only city centre region. Transit going out the core was also not flat fare.

ӔO

for Prague, CZ there were 3 ticket options for the public transport.
one for 3 stations or 20min, one for 75min of riding and one for 24hrs.

For Toronto TTC, the rate is flat for the entire network, from anywhere to anywhere, but I think we are switching over to rates based on distance travelled soon. After an electronic card system is finally adopted.

There are also monthly and weekly passes that are available for many transit networks, which lower the cost of riding significantly.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

skreyola

If this were implemented in the game, it would be interesting. I'm not sure it should be added, but it would make things more interesting for the micromanager-type players. However, it should be optional, if it is implemented, with a "default" setting of "by distance" that can be set back to if the player gets tired of managing this aspect.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Zeno

That is also true for spanish transport. Maybe subsiding and fixed rates go together...

diegoviagens

It could be a tool in the bus, subway or tram (because these are
most commonly used in urban transport) to let the player's choice to choose the price.
Would be very interesting, because then the fare would be unified, so
each time you send a bus garage, the player chooses his
fare
Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

colonyan

Flat fare rate is real world solution to minimize the burden of management(maintenance)
on network administrator's side. Plus by simplifying the fare system, administration expect
more people to ride it.
In Simutrans maintenance fee is fixed and passengers are always max(as long as
there is connection to the destination).
I think this is not necessary "let's imitate real world" mechanism. It is too complicated for
Simutrans to make the proper sense of flat rate system.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

As much as I love seeing new features in Simutrans, this one doesn't interest me personally. That being said, as long as it's optional, I'll be happy. And if it is implemented and it makes people happy.... I'm happy. :D

Fabio

It's not like i'd care to much (mind it's a discussion and not an extension request 8)).
My idea was gameplay-wise. If the fixed fare is equal to, say, the revenue for 10 tiles, there would be an extra revenue when you start to serve that city (1-2 short lines in the centre) with higher revenue also with less stops.
As the city grows and the coverage expands, urban lines wouldn't be profitable anymore. On the contrary, they would be at loss and needed to be balanced with intercity lines.
Could this challenge be interested for the player?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Hmm... If that's how it would work - you have more of my interest. :)

colonyan

@fabio
Ah, now I see the idea. It sounds more convincing.

skreyola

Your new explanation makes it more interesting, but I think it should be made an option, not a new overall system, if it is implemented.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Fabio

Well, i refrained from putting this explanation because i wanted a general discussion on gameplay effects :)
These are the ones i had in my mind. Is there any other positive/negative effect?