News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

passenger destination and number of transfer/stops

Started by next-ticket, September 25, 2024, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

next-ticket

Sorry, I'm new to Simutrans, currently playing the latest version of Simutrans classic (from Steam) with pak128.
I don't understand how passenger behaviour works, when I check the passenger destinations in the city tab, I can see many orange dots (see image), despite having connected the destination. I suppose it's because the there are too many transfer and stops between the origin and destination but this is not clear in the Wiki. So how does this work? Where is this documented?

edit: version 124.1
edit 2: image: https://imgur.com/a/passenger-behaviour-FthwUUv

prissi

This depends on the settings.

There are dark_orange, orange and yellow. But the small map is only 128x128 pixels, so on a larger map, the information is for a larger square.

First, this maps displays pax=passengers+mail So there will be red pixels if there is no mail transport set up. Maybe that should be changed at some point as nearly no one plays with mail.

Next, the last entry for a pixel wins. So if there was an unsuccessful followed by a successful one, the successful wins.

DARK_ORANGE: no connenction
ORANGE: All starting stops are overcrowded (so no route is checked to save time)
YELLOW: All fine, pax queued for departure

next-ticket

There is mail transport, stations are rarely crowded.
What is strange is that this pattern is true to all cities, more orange dots the further away is the destination, if it was due to crowded stations, the distribution of orange dots should be random no?

Sorry I can't quite see/tell the difference between dark and normal orange.

prissi

Maybe I need to review the color and set it to red then.

ALso, depending on the setting sin simuconf.tab, a route has 8 stops. However, if "no routing over overcrowded" is on (it should be off by default pak128) then no route if found if any of the intermediate stations are overcroded.

next-ticket

A more distinguishable colour would be awesome!

Ah, the number of stops, that could be it. I will try tweaking with the simuconf.tab to see if maybe that is the limiting factor here.

next-ticket

Another quick question, does changing the max_transfers variable in simuconf.tab affect existing games? Or a new game needs to be started?

prissi

You need to change it in the extended setting during a game, then save this game and load it again to afffect the setting. Changing simuconf.tab will only affect new games.

next-ticket

Sorry for the total noob question, but how do get access the extended settings? I can see the help page for it, but I don't see how I can get to it in the options pop-up...

prissi

Which pak set?

Otherwise, what always works is to load the game then select to start a new map and in the map creation window there is a button for the extended settings. Change what you want to change and close the windows (not starting anything new) and save the game. Reload it.