News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[TIP] Distancing busses

Started by Fabio, August 16, 2010, 10:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

A recurrent issue on the forum was the distancing of busses, which tend to queue and travel in groups.
This is a solution i briefly tested:

Add at one (or both) ends of the line a side branch with a streetlight.
Manually set the green time for getting out to 1 and a waypoint to that branch: busses will leave at a given interval of time, avoiding grouping.  8)

Spike

Can I have that for ships, too, please  ;D

More seriously, that is a very useful invention. Thanks for publishing the tip :)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Aww, I didn't think of this use for it. I'd come up with this basic idea - put in front of undesea tunnels to sort of simulate Chunnel-like delays...

I won't post a screenshot, but here's something you can do to streamline it slightly: If you build an intersection, place a stoplight - you can then remove the other roads, and are left with a two-way light (i.e. it stops or lets traffic through on your road).

I hadn't thought of using it to increase the distance of busses - but that's a brilliant idea.

Maybe we could allow stoplights to be built on regular roads? Or at least exploit this "bug" for this purpose. :)

Hajo: If you can talk Prissi into allowing elevated ways on water, I will back you up on ship traffic lights (because I'd like that too)... :D

(only, would that work? Wouldn't all the ships queue on one tile, and then when the light turned green, all ships proceed?)

ӔO

I hadn't thought of this, but that's a brilliant idea. :D

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

prissi

A stoplight works also on a straight road, after deletion of the branch ...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Ah, Prissi, late to the party:

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 16, 2010, 07:12:07 PM
I won't post a screenshot, but here's something you can do to streamline it slightly: If you build an intersection, place a stoplight - you can then remove the other roads, and are left with a two-way light (i.e. it stops or lets traffic through on your road).

And I came back to post a screenshot:

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/XTHvkgM2XU/simscr27.jpg]

sanna

I took this highly useful tip and added it to the wiki at http://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_RoadPlans&no_bl=y#Vehicle_spacing

If I misunderstood, please update the wiki *smile*

Dwachs

Please keep in mind that the timing infrmation of the trafficlights is not stored in the savegame yet. But it should happen soon.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Foxglove

May I ask, how do u click on traffic lights/signs to make them showing their settings? They simply arent clickable for me.
Also as offtopic I'd like to ask how to rotate signs.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Foxglove on August 25, 2010, 02:53:25 AM
May I ask, how do u click on traffic lights/signs to make them showing their settings? They simply arent clickable for me.

Only works in nightlies: http://nightly.simutrans-germany.com/

Zeno

I've always used the load percent switch for distancing buses: I set it up at several/all stops in the schedule with a wait time of 1/64 month or 1/128, depending on the desired distance. The load percentage also goes from 50% to 100% depending on the route density. That way, if a bus gets too close to another usually the first one takes all the passengers leaving nothing for the second one, so the second will wait at all stops that have been set up increasing progressively the distance to a good one. It takes some more work than a traffic light, but works very well for me.