News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Ideas for stop extensions

Started by Zeno, August 24, 2010, 09:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I've been thinking for a long time to have a small but consistent set of stops and extensions for the pak, to provide some diversity for building stations. Actually I was thinking of cargo stations, passengers might come later.

First of all I find very important to have a well developed idea for a starting point, I mean that I should get to a satisfactory "base" model before start painting any extension, because all them should match each other graphically.

You may take a look to this example. It represents an empty platform with several extensions holding steel reels (station most on top), and a wood station (bottom) again with an empty platform and severa extensions holding logs and planks.

Summary:
- The extension level is lowered to fit the platform ramp.
- The extension has same color/texture that platform
- The path through the extension has a lighter color, with player color edges marked
- The cargo in extensions is a bit bigger that the cargo that would be holded by wagons

So, do you like this ideas? Would you rise the extension level up to the platform and remove the ramps? Any other ideas?
Please report whatever your impressions are, good and bad ones will be both welcome :)

grampybear

I think the idea is great. Perhaps I would raise the storage to same as platform this would simulate the height of a delivery truck and extend the crane out over the storage area to simulate actual loading. Just my thoughts. I also like the animation being added to stations.

ӔO

I've only seen one style of cargo transferring from train to something else and they are all at grade level.
Is it a North American thing?

At grade level, I've seen at shipping docks with the crane on rails moving around ISO containers, stockyards moving around automobiles from auto-racks and forklifts moving around palettes from boxcars using ramps.

I've only seen the elevated platform at warehouses, where forklifts move around palettes from 18 wheelers.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

rfg123

Quote from: AEO on August 25, 2010, 02:02:39 AM
I've only seen one style of cargo transferring from train to something else and they are all at grade level.
Is it a North American thing?

I wondered about that as well.. There is not much cargo/material that cannot be loaded with a forklift or in the case of bulk materials a front end loader.. Pouring concrete up to the height of a boxcar is expensive, pouring a dock that spans an entire train length is uneconomical, which is why it is reserved for warehouses or other high value loading areas.

VS

Consistency really is the key. What a shame that the Blender source for "plain platform" is not available - Raven based a number of other stations on it.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

grampybear

One more thought, if I may. The new ideas about animated stops, platforms and storage are great and should increase variety and interest, but I would like to see the ideas expanded to include the truck loading bay.
We already have a variety of platforms for rail, both passengers and freight, a selection of bus stops, and even a choice of sea port docks, but we only have one very sad truck loading bay which is little more than a 3 sided box. It really needs an upgrade. Thank you for listening.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

There are a couple of neat truck loading bays on http://japanese.simutrans.com/ - no time to link you now, sorry, but if you can't find, reply and I'll find later :)

grampybear

Thank you Isaac, I have seen them and even use a couple as well as train platforms I have modified.However, with all the talent on this forum and ideas being tossed out for improvements to the game, the truck loading bay should not be left out. Again thank you

Isaac Eiland-Hall

oh, very true - sorry, was just meaning to reply because it sounded like you hadn't seen them.

I'm a trucking guy in Simutrans - so I'd love to see trucks get more lovin'. (I still remember the first semi truck that was added. oh, the joy! hehe)

grampybear

I have used the modern rail storage shed platform from Pak128 Britian and modified it to be used as a truck loading bay. It works slick and you can add another one in front if you are running tandem trailers. I am willing to share files but not sure how to upload pak,png and dat files.

ӔO

one of the problems with a loading bay designed like this:
http://warehousenews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lidl-co-dur.jpg
is that the truck doesn't face the proper way when it's waiting to be loaded.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Reddog785

I know you said passenger stations might come later, but what about subway platforms and buildings to accompany the Barcelona Underground trainsets?

Zeno

I thought about that. I will need some free time in order to paint anything else, and for the next few days that won't be possible. When I'm back to "normal life" I'll take a look and consider your idea :)