News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Names for Depots

Started by Václav, September 04, 2010, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

This idea could be written in own topic but it is very close to matter of this topic. So I decided to write it here.

Depots could get names (too). And why? Here is explanation: I don't know how much people have set messages about vehicles' coming to depots - and currently I have set them off. But I would like to read in message what depot vehicle went in.

After change text for it could in this form: %s has entered a depot %s. And after replacing of %s by real texts there could be (for example): Škoda 109E has entered a depot DKV Praha I. But of course, this is not good example - due to DKV means in English language depot of railway vehicles.

Škoda 109E is the latest (highly modern) locomotive by Škoda Plzeň - and into game introduced by Sindor (original version by Pininfarino, already in game) and TommPa9 (design by its producer, available as addon - inside Czech language board).

discussion splitted from Depots extensions ~vilvoh

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Slightly off-topic: If depots get names, it would be nice if factories also got names :)

Václav

Strange idea, names for factories Isaac - I know about names for some ones - but they cannot be transferred or translated into else languages because no one else could understand/comprehend it - because most of them are based on history - age between 1948 and 1989.

ӔO

I don't think it's a bad idea.
I sometimes lose sight of where my nearest depot(s) is.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on September 04, 2010, 07:08:12 PM
Strange idea, names for factories Isaac - I know about names for some ones - but they cannot be transferred or translated into else languages because no one else could understand/comprehend it - because most of them are based on history - age between 1948 and 1989.

I'm so tired of you not understanding what anyone is saying. It's really tiring.

What you're talking about is the ability to name depot like stops are named, yes? So I'm talking about the ability to name factories, like stops, also.

That's not a strange idea at all.

And of course it would be trivial to some up with lists of default company names, just like each language has its own list of default stop names.

prissi

Tried to put labels on top of depots?

gauthier

I don't think naming depots and industries is really useful, but why not ...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: gauthier on September 05, 2010, 09:31:05 AM
I don't think naming depots and industries is really useful, but why not ...

Do you normally only use a single depot, or are the scattered around the map? :)

And as far as industries go: Which is better:

Tree Farm (146,23)
Tree Farm (152,3)
Tree Farm (203,134)

or:

Angleton Tree Farm (146,23)
Barksby Tree Farm (152,3)
Caterin Tree Farm (203,134)

Assuming I gave them names of the towns they were close to; or autonamed... It's similar to stops - even if there's a tourist attraction outside of town, "Angleton Attraction External", and I know what part of the map it's on. :)

That's the idea, anyway

gauthier

Well, when convoys come back to depot, I find it with the message box simply. For industries I use the map and I see where the good industries are.

sanna

I support the idea of names for both depots and factories, but for me it would be mostly a question of flavor (at least as far as factories are concerned); but then flavor is important too *smile* Having an autoname function similarly to stops and attractions would be very nice.

However, IMHO it is not a high-priority question.

skreyola

I support the naming of depots, and you make a good point about factories, but I'd be less inclined to jump into naming factories, because stops near them are already named based on the nearest town, and how often do you see a message about the factories where you'd need their names. In the connection listings, they have jump-to buttons, so that's not as big an issue as the depots, which can get quite confusing if you have a large number of them.
I think the depots should be named based on the nearest city (with duplicates getting a numeric differentiator (Town Depot, Town Depot 2, etc) and don't think they need to be player-editable.
:support:
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

ӔO

for factories, I always name their stops based on location and chain they're connected to.

stops: oakham Farm 01, oakham farm 02... etc.
line name: F Oakham Grain mill <- farm 01 and so on.

I don't think it's necessary to do factories

Colour safe chart:

Gryphonite

Additionally to this would it be possible to have a list of depots created similar to the list of stops and vehicles etc. It can be a pain sometimes finding a specific depot, especially on large maps.

gauthier

to fix this problem, what about a find nearest depot function ? using this tool on a way should center the screen on the nearest depot of this waytype, for trams, ctrl key would be used. It would be much easier to find depots !

Because trains going to depot find depots themselves, this function should be used to send trains from the nearest depot so the path would be calculated reversing signals.

AvG

I support the idea of depot-names.
Playing a large map on 21-bits mode takes a very long time. After 10 gameyears it is very difficult (at least for me) to remember where the depots are. Especialy in early years, when vehicles are slow and road-depots are not so expensive, you build quite a lot of depots. When there is for a line the need of a new vehicle you have to look for it yourself.
If the depot-window shows a name (i.o. only coordinates) it would be very helpfull.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

prissi

Why don't you put a label on a depot???

ӔO

Quote from: prissi on September 07, 2010, 08:02:03 PM
this is what I do currently.
sometimes I lose track of where they are if the marker is placed as the same player. In order for the labels to stand out, it's best to use another player and colour.

Colour safe chart:

skreyola

Quote from: gauthier on September 07, 2010, 06:07:33 PM
to fix this problem, what about a find nearest depot function ? using this tool on a way should center the screen on the nearest depot of this waytype, for trams, ctrl key would be used. It would be much easier to find depots !

Because trains going to depot find depots themselves, this function should be used to send trains from the nearest depot so the path would be calculated reversing signals.
This is a good idea, too... but when a vehicle goes to a depot, it would be nice to have a name so the player can find that same depot without having to open a random depot and cycle through them all until he finds the vehicle he wants.

Because that wouldn't link "vehicle XYZ has entered a depot" with a particular depot so the player knows which one will be where the vehicle is. But if depots have names (they don't even have to be user-editable, FMP), then the message would read "vehicleXYZ has entered Townville train depot (2)", and I'd know exactly which depot it is.
--Skreyola

inkelyad

Quote from: skreyola on September 11, 2010, 05:23:10 PM
This is a good idea, too... but when a vehicle goes to a depot, it would be nice to have a name so the player can find that same depot without having to open a random depot and cycle through them all until he finds the vehicle he wants.
Try to click on image in "vehicle XYZ has entered a depot" message window.

Ters

I would also like named depots, and labels won't work for me.

Usually when replacing vehicles, especially buses and locomotives, I keep the old vehicles around in case I find use for them somewhere else later. (Seems more realistic that way.) I then use the vehicle list with "in a depot" filter to look for suitable vehicles. When I click on one of them, the depot window pops up, but I can not tell whether the depot is nearby or on the other side of the map. Clicking the next and then the previous button moves the view to the depot, but it's cumbersome.

An_dz

I see no need for a name in depots, cause I just click on the image in the message box.

Also it's not easier to make a depot list? Just like other lists it can show how many vehicles are stored in each depot and how many pieces of vehicles are stored too. And maybe the total number of both at top of depot list dialog.

prissi

The last thing you can do with the vehicle list; just filter for vehicles in depots ...

VS

Depots can be highlighted on minimap, too...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

An_dz

Quote from: prissi on September 16, 2010, 08:52:16 AM
The last thing you can do with the vehicle list; just filter for vehicles in depots ...
WOW I never saw this? I can't believe.
But it only shows the vehicles stored in depots, the disassembled vehicles parts are not shown.
Quote from: VS on September 16, 2010, 10:57:13 AM
Depots can be highlighted on minimap, too...
At least this I already know. ;D

Václav

Quote from: prissi on September 16, 2010, 08:52:16 AM
But after clicking on vehicle you don't see in what depot vehicle is - here is needed relocation just in time to chosen depot. But names for depots could be (at least) partial solution here - for some time

Quote from: An_dz on September 17, 2010, 08:04:03 PM
The disassembled vehicles parts are not shown.
It is not good - one more filter could be added - also for showing of disassembled parts.

Currently I use r3825 ... and I cannot do that.

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on September 05, 2010, 11:50:49 AM
Do you normally only use a single depot, or are the scattered around the map? :)

And as far as industries go: Which is better:

Tree Farm (146,23)
Tree Farm (152,3)
Tree Farm (203,134)

or:

Single depot? No, the scattered around the map - but limited to big transportation junctions (so cities have often only one depot - and it is shared by close industries)

This is better:

An_dz

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on October 13, 2010, 08:00:15 AM
But after clicking on vehicle you don't see in what depot vehicle is - here is needed relocation just in time to chosen depot. But names for depots could be (at least) partial solution here - for some time
You can click on the "arrows" in title bar, click one time left and then right and depot is shown.

Václav

I, of course, know about it - but it is a bit uncomfortable.

wlindley

Quote from: An_dz on October 13, 2010, 06:06:25 PM
You can click on the "arrows" in title bar, click one time left and then right and depot is shown.

This fails when there is only one depot of that type, but you cannot remember where on the map it is.  A way to view the actual depot, like the "right-arrow" in the city lists of a line schedule, would be very nice.

skreyola

Quote from: wlindley on October 14, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
This fails when there is only one depot of that type, but you cannot remember where on the map it is.  A way to view the actual depot, like the "right-arrow" in the city lists of a line schedule, would be very nice.
I agree.
--Skreyola

An_dz

Quote from: skreyola on October 15, 2010, 02:21:56 AM
Quote from: wlindley on October 14, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
I agree.
Yeah support for it.

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on October 13, 2010, 08:00:15 AM
Quote from: An_dz on September 17, 2010, 08:04:03 PM
The disassembled vehicles parts are not shown.
It is not good - one more filter could be added - also for showing of disassembled parts.
Yeah a new filter to show only disassembled parts will be cool.

Foxglove

Quote from: Vonjo on January 13, 2013, 06:42:25 PM
I'm sorry, may be a little bit off-topic...
I'd like to also have a depot list. It is similar to the list of station, city, goods, label, and factory, which have been available in Simutrans.
By the way, this is quite useful idea. Would like to see this too.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Foxglove on January 18, 2013, 11:38:52 PM
By the way, this [depot list] is quite useful idea. Would like to see this too.
Me too. It is a must.

First off, we need to be able to name the depots, or at least they could be numbered. In real life, big transportation companies usually name their depots, yards or "bases" by giving them regional names (such as the municipality or district where they are) or some kind of code.

Lmallet

The main reason I would like the original request is in cases where you loose track of the depots.  I have lost sight of many depots in many large cities.

Combuijs

Still, a list of (named) depots would be very, very useful. The naming would require a change in the savefileformat though.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

wlindley

Suggestion: Can someone first code a list of depots?  And perhaps we could get a list of Monuments as well -- why can we list factories but not depots, attractions but not monuments?