News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Save map with rivers?

Started by TygerFish, September 13, 2010, 10:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TygerFish

What I would like to do is take one of the lovely heightmaps provided on maps.simutrans.com, add rivers, and save for further re-use, independently of other map constraints (for example, year, starting funds, median city size...).  Is this possible?

Perhaps this is what a scenario would be?  I haven't figured out why the "Load scenario" button is on the main screen...

Combuijs

Yeah, that's one of my dreams.

1) Adding cities to the heightmap including number of inhabitants, this could be independant of pak
2) Adding rivers to the heightmap, but this would very likely depend on pak
3) Adding factories and attractions to the map, including factory linkage, but this would certainly be pak-dependant

I have ideas how I would like to implement this (about the same format as makeobj uses), but no time to work on it. And the real developers are very busy with network functionality. But maybe one day...

QuotePerhaps this is what a scenario would be?

No, a scenario works on a savegame and states a purpose (like getting a certain sum of money).
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

TygerFish

Quote from: Combuijs on September 14, 2010, 07:08:30 AM
Yeah, that's one of my dreams.

1) Adding cities to the heightmap including number of inhabitants, this could be independant of pak
2) Adding rivers to the heightmap, but this would very likely depend on pak
3) Adding factories and attractions to the map, including factory linkage, but this would certainly be pak-dependant

I have ideas how I would like to implement this (about the same format as makeobj uses), but no time to work on it. And the real developers are very busy with network functionality. But maybe one day...

Glad I'm not the only one.  :)  I realize now that I didn't mention it, but adding cities and factories roads would also be another desirable for me too.  Unfortunately, I realize that they would probably all be dependent on the pak; in addition to what you mentioned about paks having different or no rivers/factories, I think the cities would also depend, since different paks have different city buildings, city roads, and even town halls...  but there's no reason we couldn't vary some of the other map properties after having locked in the pak!