News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Year-Mode problem

Started by Muliki, September 12, 2010, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muliki

I am new to the forum, hope you all welcome me to join  ;D

Below is my problem on playing simutrans:

I have played a save for about 130 years (1970-2099) in simutrans world
But many buildings, trains, trucks and ROADS,etc are no longer exist anymore due to the "Retire Date".

As I know, I can click "show obsolete too" in the depot for trains and trucks.
But how about ROADS? I want the roads back.

Can I cancel the year-mode? or any other method(s)?

Hope you all would accept my grammatical mistakes made :P

jamespetts

Ahh, this is something of a difficulty, yes. What I suggest is that the retirement dates are deleted (or rather, commented out) entirely for anything that does not have a replacement. Incidentally - welcome to the forums!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

Actually, commenting out would give the default retire date of 2999 which is quite close to the normal timeline :(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

VS - what do you mean by "close to the normal timeline" here?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

VS

Apologies - perhaps I wasn't clear enough (as is too often the case). I absolutely agree with you that removing retire dates helps. But I wanted to point out that using no retire date is not perfect either. Why:

If you play regularly games for 150 years, getting to 1000 is not really impossible. Which will bring you to the default retire date and ruin the game. There were a few players who actually did that. After all, it depends on the time speed settings, too.

Now... this is only my opinion, but people who stay with their game so insanely long clearly are dedicated and perhaps might be valuable members of community... And this annoyance can be fixed just by pushing the default value to maximum (65536 or whatever works there). And current 2999 is still better than the 2099 that some are tempted to write.

Strictly speaking, it isn't my problem and it hasn't been brought up yet. Still, it's better if developers are aware of some limitations... :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Muliki

Actually, Can I edit the pak and set "no retire date"?
If it can, how can I edit the pak?
** Do I need a permission from inventor(s)?

Combuijs

Depends on the pak you are using. For example Pak64 can be modified, pak128 has both an open version and a closed version, and pak96.comic can not be changed without permission.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jamespetts

Pak128.Britain (and its Experimental version, Pak128.Britain-Ex) can be modified without permission.

Edit: But please observe the terms of the Artistic Licence (v. 1.0) when so doing.

yoshi

Quote from: Muliki on September 13, 2010, 04:13:33 PM
Actually, Can I edit the pak and set "no retire date"?
If it can, how can I edit the pak?
** Do I need a permission from inventor(s)?

As long as you use the modifeid files for yourself, you don't need to obtain a permission. However, you will need source (dat/png) files to modify pak files, or you will need to edit pak files directly with a hex editor.

Altanatively you can simply install an addon road which retire date is later.

Muliki

Thanks you all :D
Hope i can solve the problem :)

Muliki

If I now try to edit the pak with the source(dat/png), what program should I use?

yoshi

You need to edit the dat file to change the retire date. The dat file is a plain text file and can be edited by a text editor. If you are on Windows, Wordpad is OK.

Refer to the Simutrans Wiki for details.
http://en.wiki.simutrans.com/index.php/Creating_addons