News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Hard lags in beginning of each month (8.2)

Started by 6OPMEHTAJIb, September 21, 2010, 12:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6OPMEHTAJIb

Tested on two systems:
#1. C2D 6850(@3600), 4 Gb DDR3, GF8800 GTS 320Mb (1680*1050), onboard sound (always off in game), Windows 7 ultimate x32 on SSD Intel x38 ~lag about 7-10 sec
#2. P4 D 3000, 1 Gb DDR2, GF8600 512Mb (1280*1024), onboard sound (always off in game), Windows XP SP3 x32 on WD 1600AAJS ~lag about 20-40 sec

what happens:
In the first days of each month, the game stops responding to commands from the mouse and keyboard. If you repeatedly click on the game screen, the image freezes and the window title shows "not responding". The problem starts to appear after about 7 years. Number of vehicles does not exceed 50.

Options are standard, even max_route_steps = 100000 and max_hops = 1000. All components (standart + experimental + config + Britain-Ex) were downloaded by following links from this forum. Autosave off (autosave = 0). In "standart simutrans" all is well.

I really like this game, please help solve this problem))

6OPMEHTAJIb

Dumb question, or am I??))) Why no one answers?
I have an idea:
Maybe somebody will give me 100% working SE + Britain-ex? It would be great if you give me last set of compiled nightly SE + Britain-ex. I could do it myself, just do not know where to get Visual Studio and I'm afraid not enough knowledge. Waiting for your help))

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

6OPMEHTAJIb

Quote from: 6OPMEHTAJIb on September 21, 2010, 12:30:43 PM
Autosave off (autosave = 0)
In "Simutrans experimental \ config \ simuconf.tab" I wrote "autosave = 0" and start the game again. I agree, very similar to the autosave. Maybe something else to check?

VS

Oops, I should have actually read your post :-/ You on the other hand checked for common issues before posting. Sorry...

Unfortunately I don't use exp., so I can't help you :-( The most common problem fit your pattern so I just tried that.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ӔO

autosave=0 under 8.2ex shouldn't cause the game to autosave every month.

have you manually deleted any factories or cities under public player?
actually, it's best if you upload your save game to have one of the expert debuggers look at it.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AEO is correct - if you upload your saved game, I can run it in a debugger and, if I can reproduce the problem, try to find the cause.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

6OPMEHTAJIb

Quote from: AEO on September 21, 2010, 08:57:28 PM
have you manually deleted any factories or cities under public player?

Yes, I delete and build many things under public player. In attach saved game and two configs. Thank you that responded.

By the way, I load saved games from "standard" in "experimental" and lags appear.

http://ifolder.ru/19423484

jamespetts

I tried to download that file, but got an incomprehensible page in Russian that I could not understand. Can you upload it elsewhere, perhaps?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Thank you for the upload - I can't reproduce any lags, however: the month March to April transitioned without any noticeable delay at all with the released version of 8.2. My system is very similar to your no. 2 in specifications. I'm struggling to think what this could be - do you get this with Standard?

Combuijs

Quotedo you get this with Standard?

QuoteIn "standart simutrans" all is well.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jamespetts

Dwachs

:D Please re-read Colin's answer :)

The answer was: "in standard all is well" instead of "in standard all is well".
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

6OPMEHTAJIb

I corrected the title, because the problem is not in a graphic package.

Quotethe month March to April transitioned without any noticeable delay
Now I several times load this save game and you right, March always normal change to April, sometimes working fine in the next few months. But always come lags and do not pass. Please, run game at least six months and probably you'll see them.

jamespetts

Ahh, sorry: I was mislead by the title referring to "each" month. Is it deterministic? In other words, if you save just before the change of a particular month, on reloading, will that month always lag?

6OPMEHTAJIb

I tested it and I can say that determinism in that if you save just before the change of a particular month, on reloading the lag is always gone! But they begin again after a few months and then we can all repeat))

Maybe I record a video of this process? Or will you give me a working version of the game is certainly for testing?

jamespetts

What do you mean by the last sentence there?

Or will you give me a working version of the game is certainly for testing?

6OPMEHTAJIb

When I installed the game, did all the instructions, but maybe something went wrong. To exclude this possibility it would be good to try professionally assembled version. Even better would be to try the latest compiled version.

jamespetts

I may have found the problem. When I looked at the game, the lags at the beginning of the months were caused by new industries being built - what took the time was, it seems, finding somewhere to put them, as much of the land was already taken up by industry. Investigating why so many industries were being built, I found that, when loading a saved game, the actual number of industries in the game were not calculated correctly, which error I have now fixed (for the next release). I can't make the industry finding routine any faster (it is unmodified from Standard), but I can at least fix the bug that called it to be invoked too often!

6OPMEHTAJIb

Many thanks for your research. But this means that the error is at all, but suffer from it just me? At least, I did not find similar posts on this forum.
Can I myself fix bug?

inkelyad

Quote from: 6OPMEHTAJIb on September 27, 2010, 07:13:22 AM
Can I myself fix bug?
Get current 9.x and compile it. it is not hard. It will help us debug 9.x too.