News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Roads for public transport only

Started by Foxglove, October 06, 2010, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxglove

Since some real towns have made a few streets for public transport only, I thought it would be good if Simutrans would allow us to build roadsigns "start/end of road for public transport only". Is there any problem which makes this suggestion being impossible to realize?

vilvoh

What do you exactly mean with public transport? vehicles owned by the public player?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Depending on what you mean, "private" road signs may be exactly what you are looking for: They do not allow vehicles not owned by the player (the player that owns the sign) to pass.

(As with any sign, they apply only to the tile on which they are placed - this is the nature of road signs - and rail signs, for that matter)

arnoud

I think cars only that can carry passengers

Foxglove

Nop, I meant buses and trolleybuses only. In center of some towns in old Europe you may see streets for buses or trams only, so thats what I was asking for - to make it possible to close road for all transport except buses/trolleybuses.

An_dz

As Isaac said, you can use private signs, pak96.comic and pak192.comic have it.
For other paks maybe you need to search for an addon or ask for the pak team to consider creating it.

Foxglove

I use pak128, usual one. There is no such sign?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

paco_m

Well, private road signs are not exactly what was asked here - they limit the traffic to vehicles of one player,
not to a certain type of vehicles.

At least in the experimental-version exists the possibility to do that:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=2112.0 (see Way constraints)
Any kind of bus could receive a special "public transport" flag and then you would be able to make roads only for that type of vehicles
where all players could run their buses but no other vehicles like trucks or whatever, especially for multiplayer-games this would be very useful
in larger cities. ;)

Fabio

Also without a flag: it could restrict the passage to vehicles for pax and mail.
i see it interesting. And if put only in one direction, it could allow pax only in one direction, all traffic in the opposite.

Foxglove

Well, I would like to see it in basic pack-128, is it possible?
Thanks for Private Road Sign btw.

DirrrtyDirk

Well currently this is simply not possible. And unless one of the developers programs such a function in the future (which I doubt somehow, based on earlier statements by prissi for example), this is not going to change, I'm afraid. It's definitely not a question of the pakset - basic or addon.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Foxglove

Well, I hope developers will add this request as new feature in next stable version of the game...

paco_m

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 08, 2010, 08:24:18 PM
this is not going to change, I'm afraid.
We are just talking about implementing a function that already exists in the experimental version of the game.
As far as I know this version is to test new function and implement them in the standard when they work fine and are considered useful or whatever...
so why is this not going to change when the necessary program changes are already done?

DirrrtyDirk

No, Simutrans Experimental is not just some testing platform for normal Simutrans, it is an independant branch of the game, and actually most things developed there will probably never become part of the standard version.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****