News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Highspeed Rail in United States?

Started by MeHazTrainz, November 14, 2010, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeHazTrainz

Hi. i wanted to share this with people  :)
I live in United States and I like trains  ;) but there is just one "high-speed" trains in the whole country.(Acela Express) but sucks! it only goes 240 km/h

So I was in youtube and saw something about a speech of the president about funds to make a highspeed rail. So then I when to google and typed "high-speed train in California" because I live in California and a cool website came out http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/ and I couldnt believe my eyes!
The rail is going to go from San Francisco to San Diego! It will go up to 220mph(350km/h) And a trip of 8 hours in car from San Francisco to Los Angeles will only be 2 hours and 40 minutes. The section from San Francisco to Los Angeles is planned to start working at 2020.
I know there arent many people from United States here but I wanted to share this with everyone.  :-*

Isaac Eiland-Hall

The high speed rail referred to in Obama's speech is actually going to be the Tampa/Orlando corridor in Florida.

wlindley

Fast trains alone do nothing.   Japan, France, and other countries with fast trains, all have regional networks of local trains, subways, and trolleys to move people around within their cities.  America doesn't have these networks.  Los Angeles has a few subway lines and a decent local-train network (Metrolink) as does San Francisco, but those are rare exceptions in the West.

The proposed Florida system actually *avoids* existing Amtrak stations! 

Tampa has a tram line, and Orlando plans a local ("commuter") train network, but the "high speed" trains would not connect with any of these!

Such stupidity is a recipe for disaster, written by folks who do not understand trains.

Qayyum

I really hope that someone who planned this high speed rail in US had played Simutrans. :P
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

greenling

I hope that the  Highspeed Rail System growe up in United States.
I hate be hear that some Airports and Some Highways in the usa nearly be get too overlaod of use.
I find that´s the usa to make a step too open for new transportsystems.
And i hope that this new Transportsystems be getting as modell for simutrans.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

prissi

In 1998 already they run at 100 mph between san diego and los angles (on really not the best tracks). Just refurbish those would get you easily to any speed you like as it is straight and flat (along the coast). Los Angles to San Francisco is a little more challenging, depending on the proposed route.

I wonder, why not going the easy way for those routes, as with such high speed you replace planes, not cars.

(As to Isaacs comments: Even current Amtrak station in Tampa is not connected to the Tram system, which only runs from 11am to 11pm and is useless as a commuter system. Since current Tampa station is located in a no go area [I can confirm this classification, albeit we went there by group around 4pm], putting the station elsewhere is not such a bad idea. Upon reading the information on their homepage: The new station will be close to Amtrak. [Albeit one of the streets they give, even google does not know ... ])

sdog

Tampa - Orlando: 130 km that'd be a nice fast local rail...

MeHazTrainz

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on November 14, 2010, 10:13:35 AM
The high speed rail referred to in Obama's speech is actually going to be the Tampa/Orlando corridor in Florida.

yeah I know but then I went into google and found the project in California :)