News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Stop sign with configurable "tiles of clearance" (also yield sign)

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, August 02, 2010, 01:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Here's how it would work:

A stop sign would be bi-directional, not four-way.

A convoi reaching a stop sign would come to a stop.

No matter which way the convoi turns, Simutrans would look in at least one direction to see if the road was clear for X tiles (configurable by player?). Note that checking-for-clear would terminate at any intersection - if a player wishes to control traffic for close roads, use traffic lights.

If a convoi turns in the direction that would not require it to cross a lane of traffic (i.e. for right-hand drive, a right-turn), only the left tiles would need to be checked. Otherwise, if it was turning across or going straight, both directions would have to be checked (both of the directions not required to stop).

Benefit: Traffic coming from the directions required to stop would cause less slowdown for traffic crossing not forced to stop.

NOTE: For a four-way intersection, placing should toggle between the two ways. For a three-way intersection, one "stop" and two "go" should go around - it might be that the "main" road makes a turn, and a "side" road goes straight... So there would be three possible configurations...
________

Yield sign: Same as above, but convois are not forced to come to a stop - if they must stop while the calculation happens, that's okay - but if the way is clear, should resume at full (or perhaps half) speed).

_______

Four-way stop: Simply causes all vehicles to come to a full stop. If the tile is clear, immediately allowed to accelerate into the intersection.

I think this would allow more realism in Simutrans. :) (I like using traffic lights, but only at 'major' intersections)

ӔO

I had similar thoughts that I wanted to post up, but you beat me to it.
I was particularly thinking of the the 'clear tile by x' or 'do not block intersection' as something necessary.

Right now if you set up 3 or 4 road routes that intersect with each other and there are enough convoys, there can be a situation where these routes will encounter a complete gridlock, because the convoys in each line are blocking the intersection where the other convoy crosses over.

forcing the convoys to not stuff up intersections is a must have, especially for hubs with many road connections.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Fabio

I like this idea, as i do with everything which adds realism and... the possibility of interesting setups :)

skreyola

:support:
Having everything stop at the intersection doesn't improve the flow. side-/main- street stop signs are a great idea.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

gforce

i like the idea, it would also come in handy on highway entrances.

only one little problem: diagonal crossings. cause in simutrans this are actually 2 T-crossings and that would mean the signal only looks only way cause on the other side there is a crossing.

prissi

In any case, "clear" would at most mean "clear until next crossing".

gforce

Quote from: prissi on November 05, 2010, 04:32:54 PM
In any case, "clear" would at most mean "clear until next crossing".
That is what i meant as a problem, when you have a diagonal street crossing a "straight" street it would be 2 crossings and the system would only work one way

skreyola

You'd have to adjust the road path so it wasn't a diagonal crossing... or if the diag is important for speed, bridge it with the straight road and put access lanes? I'm not sure this is more than an outlier case. Thoughts?
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

gforce

That's also an option, but I was just saying this so it wouldn't be seen as a bug afterwards

greenling

A super idea too kepp fluid traffic in a city with many trafic.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!