News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Networkmode

Started by prissi, November 23, 2010, 10:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

Since the network mode is aparently quite stable (and I cannot really post under praises ... ) I have to think that the network mode is really something great. I can play like one or two hours in the evening an see the world and one's competitors evolve during time. It brought me to playing simutrans again beyond simple testing. I would not have expected it to be like this though, when it was started.

Spike

While I didn't try the network mode yet, I think this is a great achievement too. Once, because I know many people wanted it, but more because I'm impressed that you could do it with the codebase, that originally really wasn't suitable for networking.

So, thumbs up for the good work :)

Xelofino

I am very glad that you started this monster project ;D. It is something completely new and enhances the gaming experience of Simutrans.

Thank you for this great network mode!

Xelofino  ;)

Combuijs

QuoteI think this is a great achievement too.

I have not tried it out yet, but to be able to get a playable networking version this soon while the original code was not designed for it tells me:

1) Prissi and the other developers have done a tremendous job
2) The original design by Hajo was solid as well.

Well done all of you!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jamespetts

This is indeed a most impressive development. I haven't had much time for Simutrans in the past few weeks, but I tested it when it was very new and it is quite something else to play in a persistent world against real human players. It takes the game into a whole new and very enjoyable dimension. Thank you to all the coders!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

IgorEliezer

YAY!

Spectator mode was implemented, that was my idea.

wlindley

Where do I find how this works?  I am using r3987 with pak64 r333... I press 'n' and get a dialog, there are four servers listed including localhost.  Server gift.physik.tu-berlin.de shows a game with "7 players (7 locked)" and all of the servers have the "Join Game" button greyed out. There is a button "Find mismatch" which thinks for fifteen minutes and comes back with a long list of stuff. Nor do I see the Spectator mode that Igor mentioned.  What do I do?  This sure *sounds* fun...

IgorEliezer

Spectator mode is just a player that doesn't play at all. It exists so you join a netgame server and, say, watch the people playing; you don't need to own a company to stay on there.

prissi

In the betwork dialogue you will see in the left corner the version of the pak the server runs and the program version the server runs. Both need to match to join a game. Since the server runs usually a week (gift does this, if the stability of the game permits), the nightly program version is from the beginning of the week, as well as the pak. This will get better, when there is the next stable version, then using a stable should fix this all.