News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Newbie savegame's questions :)

Started by aron48, December 02, 2010, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron48

Hi :)

At first I would like to welcome everybody as this is my first post :)
Here is my story :) I loved playing TTD and later OpenTTD so it's natural that I searched for other games of this type. And I found Simutrans which I think is next step further :)
As a TTD player - I had problems with starting my first games as I went bankrupt often. Here I attached my first succesful savegame.
I would like to ask you about what can be inproved in my track building.
I love to play with node stations and multiple trains running on the same lines.
The map is very small because I wanted to learn on something small.
Today I realised that I use end-of-choose singnals the wrong way so this one is not something I don't know
Map was generated but I added some factories as a second one of the same type to keep the production/cosumption on good level (2nd supermarket, second grain mill and second fishpond at the same stations).

What are your thought about my game?

PS. My game version is 102.2.2 and I'm using pak128

Savegame:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/aba.sve

Screenshots:

prissi

I think you are using too much tracks in station. Most of your stations have five tracks or so but few trains are waiting there. Other than that, you have a quite a lot of tracks there going around.

aron48

The number of platform is like this because with slower (older) trains I used more trains and because of "low amount" of free tracks - I wanted them to wait at station and not block the junctions for other ways. Now less trains is needed because they can deliver the goods faster :) but as I'm making the profit - I don't want to delete spare station tracks :)

But I'm preparing to play on bigger maps with probably longer routes and I'm wondering if my general track building idea and details on plannung the stations. Am I making any bigger mistakes?
PS. Those big stations started as 1-3 platform stations and after more industries came - they were in constand developement :) As the map is small - new industries were built close to existing stations and I had used the same track and built additional platforms :)

Combuijs

Nice savegame!

Quoteyou have a quite a lot of tracks there going around

Very true, and what's more, it does not seem to be enough. You use Shinkansen passenger trains that can run 310 km/h, but they are only on 160 km/h track, and seriously hampered by slow goods traffic.

If you make seperate fast track for your Shinkansen trains then you would need less trains to transport passengers.

Further, all city stops are crowded. Your bus lines don't have enough capacity. You could try using trams to increase capacity. Your cities will also grow faster then.

Anyway, you can see that you have enjoyed your game, and that's the main thing. And you can play it as you like, so don't take the remarks above too seriously!

And out of interest: which game do you like best: Simutrans or (open) TTD?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

aron48

about passenger trains: from what I understood - the money I get after the train reaches the destination is calculated based on the train speed not on the track max speed? Is that correct? because based on that - i use the same tracks for every train. Maybe I'm wrong and have to rethink my way of playing? Because if I'm correct - on this small map - it would be difficult (and costly) to make additional tracks only for 2-3 passenger trains. I don't use freeplay so i also calculate the maintenance money. This is why I use this track for all types of trains.
Hm.. City stops - they differ :) I just made a save at the moment of playing but generally I put additional bus when the stops become crowded. Also - Trams - more costs of tracks and power lines. Is it worth?

And yes - I enjoy this game and I'm planning to anjoy bigger map :) on bigger map with bigger amount of cities and bigger cities (here i tried to limit the cities to have the space for tracks and new industries) separate trucks for different speeds of trains may be worth thinking of :) But I like to see 30 trains on one set of track than 3 trains on 10 sets of tracks :)

Simutrans or OpenTTD? I started my "tycoon" playning with TT. It was simple but interesting... TTD kept me for 4-5 years with plenty of new games :) There I started to like to make big (5x4 :P) station for all trains comming :) One central stations and all connected to this station. OpenTTD was just some upgrade of TTD for me. I never made big changes but used the functions that i missed the most in TTD (instant tracktype changes rail->monorail->maglev with just one click or adjusting speed changing on corners and hills).
But Simutrans is much better than even OpenTTD - mainly because of the station-buliding tools. I don't have to stick to 5x4 station pattern (bigger in OpenTTD) but can arrange it the way I like and even in two (or maybe more - don't know still) levels (underground and overground) :) and routefinding and platformchoosing is better for me. I like to play with big hub stations and the options in TTD were not enough for me :) Here I can play the way I like :)
The economy is different of course but after some tries - i learnt how to manage it :) small steps - not one big building site in one year like in TTD :)

But the thing I don't like in Simutrans is that there is so many different patches, paks, builds, experimentals and so on :P I would like to have one big version of game compatible with newer versions (just one upgrade once in a while) in which you can switch on or switch off something. I know how to change files, add patches and so on - but I don't like that I have to do this to upgrade my gaming experience :D So probably I will stick to standard version and get angry that in another version there is something that I would like to implement in mine :)

Combuijs

Quoteabout passenger trains: from what I understood - the money I get after the train reaches the destination is calculated based on the train speed not on the track max speed? Is that correct?

You are absolutely correct (train max speed to be precise, but that's what you meant obviously).

And there we differ in the way we are playing. You are playing to optimize economy, I'm playing to optimize customer satisfaction. I try to reduce waiting times, you try to get as much money as you can. That's what I like about Simutrans, there is no one way to play it.

felo

QuoteYou are absolutely correct (train max speed to be precise, but that's what you meant obviously).

Train max speed or current train speed?

Combuijs

jap train fan

thats a very neat save i must say
try a way bigger map and many cities so you can build bigger and better networks
ps i am suprised that you can fit 100 something lines on a small map

aron48

Quote from: Combuijs on December 02, 2010, 04:01:24 PM
Train max speed
i need to ask - locomotive max speed? slowest car max speed? or combined max speed?
For example: locomotive 230 max, car 150 max
but lets say locomotive+10 cars - 130 max speed (due to low engine power)
which speed is taken into calculation?

@jap train fan
Generally I like to play with plenty of lines on small area :) that's why I have so many of them. I could get more because some factories are not connected yet :) but I decided that investing in this map won't bring more fun - that's why I plan to make bigger map.

And yes - I first start to make good economy because this was my main concern in first games... Maybe later I will make economy+satisfaction :) who knows :)

Combuijs

Quotei need to ask - locomotive max speed? slowest car max speed? or combined max speed?
For example: locomotive 230 max, car 150 max
but lets say locomotive+10 cars - 130 max speed (due to low engine power)
which speed is taken into calculation?

Combined max speed. In your example 150.

jap train fan

In pak 128 britian you can expand the map. I am not sure about pak 128 though.

Combuijs

QuoteIn pak 128 britian you can expand the map. I am not sure about pak 128 though.

You can always expand the map, no matter what pak you use.

jap train fan

ok
so that means i can expand aron48 's save and play it
upload a save when i am satasfied

Junna

Download link doesn't seem to work?

aron48

Quote from: Junna on December 04, 2010, 06:52:54 PM
Download link doesn't seem to work?
working again :)

and I've got another question. how the distance that the cargo is traveling is calculated?

Is the direct distance between supplier and factory in a straight line is taken into calculation?
Maybe the shortest distance calculated by track and road?
or maybe the distance that the cargo has really travelled on board the train/truck?

Combuijs

Default behaviour: in every station that the train stops the distance will be the straight line (e.g. sum of absolute differences of both coordinates) between previous station and this station. However there are options to change this behaviour:

See this discussion: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5489