News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Large screenshot handling

Started by prissi, December 03, 2010, 09:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prissi

Since OpenTTD has the function of saving a screenshot of the entire map (if there is enough memory), they developed also a tool for tile based updates: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=51592

Zeno

Wow, impressive! That could be very useful for players in order to share their play style whithout having to upload the full savegame. I wonder which pros/cons it would have instead of sharing the sve, if it could ever be implemented in ST.

Combuijs

Indeed, very nice to see!

QuoteI wonder which pros/cons it would have instead of sharing the sve, if it could ever be implemented in ST.

Well, it's a still, you only can see the landscape. No trains moving, no line or schedule information.

But my guess is that the "screenshot" of the whole map in Simutrans in png is not difficult to program using that png extension lib. Would be a very useful and impressive extension.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Zeno

Quote from: Combuijs on December 03, 2010, 09:32:56 AM
Well, it's a still, you only can see the landscape. No trains moving, no line or schedule information.
Sure. For some cases, though, it could be good enough to see the whole tracks disposition... let's say you could see a global network preview. At least it would be version and pak independant and could be watched online. :)

Erniii

I agree - having the ability to share a screenshot of the whole map would be very useful.

Spike

Quote from: Zeno on December 03, 2010, 09:24:02 AM
I wonder which pros/cons it would have instead of sharing the sve, if it could ever be implemented in ST.

I can imagine these:

- Possible smaller file than a .sve
- Can be hosted on free image hosters
- Can be watched directly in a browser, no need to have the matching pak and Simutrans installed.

Fabio

- SSC Contests with full maps :)
- Other Arena competitions: post the screenshot at the final year to compare partecipants' performance (without need for SVE)

VS

Full map screenshots will be definitely larger than saves. They are constructed from individual sprites, repeated many times... But the cross-platform potential is attractive, too.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!