News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Pak.Britain Exp 0.7 - Three graphic bug

Started by Milko, December 06, 2010, 09:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milko

Hi

In demo.sve I found this three graphic bug

Giuseppe

Dwachs

When do these error occur? Right after loading? Or did you rotate the map? They should disappear if the convoy is turned around.

I could not reproduce them with p128.Britain standard.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Milko

Hi

I simply start the game and the convoy exiting "Christminster North" (distance_tender_wagon) has the problem .
I have not rotated the map, even if I rotate the map does not change the problem.
The problem disappears when the train is reversed.

Problems Wagons_overlap and wagon_alignment are in the convoy exiting Christminster central railway station.
Also for this convoy:
I have not rotated the map, even if I rotate the map does not change the problem.
The problem disappears when the train is reversed.

It can be a problem with the experimental version only? (I'm using simutrans experimental 8.2 - Pak.Britain Experimental 0.7).

And next I found another problem.

Giuseppe

Milko

Hi

(sorry for double post)

Strange, similar convoys have the same problem but reversed.
After reversed both trains are displayed correctly.

Giuseppe

inkelyad

Gap between locomotive and wagons when convoy is reversed is well known Experimental bug.

jamespetts

Inkelyad is correct - I have never found a way to fix it. The tunnel mouth bug is from Standard, though.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

I've wondered if a fix in image alignment will fix the issue of gaps in the convoy.
I've noticed that vehicle alignments are not consistently centred on the tile, which becomes obvious as the convoy appears to jerk when turning around. More obvious on EMU and DMU, but also visible on other vehicles, as they won't pull up to the end or over shoot the end of the line. It's pretty obvious when using the maglev set, as it shows both behaviours of jerking and not lining up. Gaps and overlapping seem to be caused more by  different vehicle lengths being mixed into the convoy.

lots of tedious work involved in this, IMO.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Dwachs

QuoteIt can be a problem with the experimental version only? (I'm using simutrans experimental 8.2 - Pak.Britain Experimental 0.7).
I think it is a problem of simutrans-experimental, I cannot reproduce any of these bugs with simutrans standard and pakbritain standard (rev 333). The bug might have been fixed already in simutrans-experimental but the bug persists in the savegame, since the precise positions of the vehicles is saved.

I cannot reproduce the tunnel mouth bug either with simutrans-standard.

jamespetts

The bug is related to the reversing feature: if some vehicles in a convoy reverse directions and some do not, then there will be misalignment because, I think, the graphics are not centred precisely on the tile. This is not seen in Standard, as there is no reversing.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Milko

Hi

Since I'm not sure how the relationship between the standard and the experimental, I was wondering ... and if we take inspiration from the routine of the standard version that appears to be working?

Giuseppe

jamespetts

I have to say, I am very confused by this one, as the problem appears to persist in Experimental despite not being present in Standard, and, critically, despite the graphics routines being unchanged from Standard to Experimental.

Dwachs

The tunnel bug looks like there is an error with the tunnel background image (ie this image is not displayed or simply empty). Broken pak, broken pak-reader, no image set: a lot of possible sources.

sdog

# Normal images
BackImage[W][0]=rail-tunnel-brick.1.0
FrontImage[W][0]=rail-tunnel-brick.0.0

looks fine in the .dat and the png.

i haven't seen that bug yet, perhaps because i'm compiling with a rather old version of makeobj-ex. (haven't compiled it in months)

jamespetts

After some investigation, this appears to be a Makeobj bug, as far as I can discern. However, my testing has been hampered by not being able to download or compile the latest version of Standard Makeobj, so I cannot accurately check whether the bug appears in the latest Standard Makeobj, too. What I can confirm, however, is that the released version of Pak128.Britain Standard does not show this anomaly with the tunnel graphics when loaded with the latest Simutrans-Experimental binaries.

Anyone able to look into this issue and obtain any more insight into what is going on would be extremely helpful!

Edit: I did fix a bug in Makeobj relating to tunnels, but, oddly, this seems to have had no effect.

Dwachs

this was indeed a bug in makeobj. should be fixed in trunk revision 4060.

jamespetts

Milko

Hello

Exp 9.0 - Pak.Britain 0.7.1, the tunnel is ok  :)

For train alignement I send train to the depot and next out of depot (on the track), they become ok.  :)

Giuseppe

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: jamespetts on December 13, 2010, 11:01:47 PM
I have to say, I am very confused by this one, as the problem appears to persist in Experimental despite not being present in Standard, and, critically, despite the graphics routines being unchanged from Standard to Experimental.

It's a misalignement problem, I think. There are some issues even in standard, expecially with small vehicles.
If you look closely at a train made of short carriages (such as early passenger cars and nearly all of the goods cars), you'll see that they fly on a downward slope, or that they go straight outside tracks on some curves.

EDIT:

jamespetts

If it is a graphics alignment problem, I fear that it may be extremely labour-intensive to solve it.