News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

China non-stoppable train concept

Started by An_dz, December 09, 2010, 02:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

I just received an email with this video and wanted to share, the concept is really awesome and simple. I wanted to share since there are lot of train lovers here.

Youtube link

ӔO

interesting concept.
keeping the heavy part in constant motion while having a lighter part that is able to detach and join.

I'm guessing the bottom part is for express service, while the top section is for every stop commuter service?
Or is it like a mobile platform, where the passengers board the bottom after the top docks to the train?

Either way, I see shortcomings in the design and wonder how they will work it out.
One thing is how will the passengers distribute themselves, when the top part only docks to the middle of the train? wouldn't there be a rush that will crowd up the isles to get to the top piece? What if there are too many that want to get off at once? Wouldn't there be a lot of stress at the rails on top of the train when the top piece docks?

It's certainly more energy efficient, as there's no energy wasted when accelerating from a stop.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

sdog

regardless of technical and safety aspects (have you noticed, the 'backpack' has also the pantograph) i have very strong doubts passengers would accept this. Psychologically it's not far from being shot from a canon.

An_dz

Quote from: AEO on December 09, 2010, 04:24:19 AM
Or is it like a mobile platform, where the passengers board the bottom after the top docks to the train?
From what is written on email that's the way it works.

Quote from: AEO on December 09, 2010, 04:24:19 AM
Either way, I see shortcomings in the design and wonder how they will work it out.
One thing is how will the passengers distribute themselves, when the top part only docks to the middle of the train? wouldn't there be a rush that will crowd up the isles to get to the top piece? What if there are too many that want to get off at once? Wouldn't there be a lot of stress at the rails on top of the train when the top piece docks?
I thought the same. But since it's only a concept i think more enhancements will appear.

Quote from: sdog on December 09, 2010, 05:57:33 AM
Psychologically it's not far from being shot from a canon.
Well, people go to rollercoasters that really shot like a cannon. ;D
I don't think so, as you can see on the animation, not the TV, the acceleration is smooth.

ӔO

IMO, this would be a better way of changing the train crew on freight trains.
especially the heavy freight trains.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: