News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Roads and Road Signs

Started by TheMachineguy, December 29, 2010, 01:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMachineguy

Public Roads

This type of road sign is like the 'Private Road' sign, but only city cars can pass through these signs. This does not allow player's vehicles (trucks, buses, ) and even other players to get through.

No Turning on Intersections

This lets all cars that arrive at intersections will not turn at a specific direction if using a specific 'No Turn' sign(eg. No Turning Left or Right). But it allows other cars from another road to go into the road that the first road is prohibited from.
Note: (I can better explain this with an image from my computer but I can't put it.)

Edit Traffic Signal Timer

Traffic signals in Simutrans (pak128) usually have a timer for 1 Hour in Red and Green. Maybe there is a way to change the R to G and G to R timer to have better control of traffic.

One Way Roads

This can be either used by the road itself or by signs.

If Roads,
The road can be completely be a two laned road going in one direction, but the traffic is occupying both of the two lanes(eg. slow cars in one lane, fast cars on the other but move continuously instead of overtaking the old way)

If Signs,
It acts like the Remove Roads tool (pak128), what it does is it highlights the road while editing and when it is done it places one sign on each end. The first sign tells that the two lanes can now be occupied, the second end tells that it is back to using one lane again and does not allow vehicles coming from the other side not to enter. The direction of the one way depends on how the placing was(eg. The placing was from left to right, so the one way traffic will go left to right)

This is my first post, I am new to the community but not at playing Simutrans, I started playing about 2 years ago. And I am impressed by the development team, thank you for all the people who help in the making of Simutrans.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I like the public road sign idea.

I also like the no-turn sign.

Not sure of the state of traffic signals, but at least in nightlies, they can be edited already. Maybe next stable will have? (i.e. maybe this stable doesn't have?)

One way roads are not possible in the Simutrans engine, and are actually on the FAQ of things that cannot happen. (As in, using both lanes in one direction). The only reason passing works is because of cheating :)

Welcome to the community, if not to the game... ;-) Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

jamespetts

I'm not sure that I understand the point of the public road sign (perhaps I'm just being slow: forgive me), but the no-turn sign idea seems a good one.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

How I'd use the public road sign -- in conjunction with a private road sign to separate citycars from my vehicles - it forces convois not to pass the sign, just like citycars can't pass a private road sign - but convois are routed, and might otherwise take an undesired route. Sort of like a "NO TRUCKS" sign or "No commercial vehicles" sign...

Could also help route to desired routes without waypoints - put them on either side of main city thoroughfares to make sure all your convois stick to main routes, perhaps.

jamespetts

Interesting!  Hadn't thought about that.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

An_dz

The public road idea is cool, and the traffic lights time is already implemented on latest nightlies and are working cool from my tests.

skreyola

I really like the No Trucks sign idea!
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

sdog

We can have that easily in simutrans experimental through weight limits. Just check if the sign is there and limit the max weight for the way to 7 t.

jamespetts

Hmm - why would you need a sign to do that? You could just have a road with a weight limit of 7t...

skreyola

Don't they still drive on it, just real slow, for over the weight limit?
I don't think weight limits make sense, anyway, as this type of limiter. I think it's better to have a sign that prevents commercial vehicles ("No Trucks").
A better question would be whether this sign would apply to busses or not.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.