News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[New vehicles] Steam locomotives

Started by jamespetts, December 31, 2010, 02:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Some steam locomotives now. First, the LBSCR D1 class, similar to the A1 "Terrier" class but larger and more powerful (and, significantly for Experimental users, also heavier: this will not run on wrought iron track, unlike its smaller sibling). This locomotive is useful for suburban passenger traffic of the sort commonly carried by the Brighton line in and around London. This locomotive should go well with the LBSCR suburban carriages here, or alternatively the existing 4-wheel LBSCR carriages painted by Kieron and The Hood some time ago.

Secondly, a locomotive already in the latest Experimental release that I'd finished some time ago but hadn't got around to uploading here for the benefit of Standard users: the BR Standard (no pun intended) 5MT; an evolutionary development from the famous LMS "black 5" design, which SDog has already put to good use in an Experimental game here.

.dat and .png files attached; translation texts below:

LBSCR-D1
LBSCR Class D1 0-4-2T
BR-5MT(Black)
BR Standard Class 5MT 2-6-0
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Here is a Midland Railway 1833 class tank locomotive, built between 1873 and 1900: see here for more information. This should be a useful locomotive for outer suburban passenger traffic in the late 19th century.

Attached are the .png and .dat files. English translation texts as follows:

MR-1833
MR 1833 Class 0-4-4T

Edit: Updated image and .dat file: the original image was re-scaled in the GIMP, but did not look right, so I re-scaled it in Blender and re-exported it, and now it looks much better.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Milko

James

SLOW! or pak.britain will explode  ;)

Thanks for the wonderful material you are adding to the rail pak.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

At the risk of causing a pakset explosion, here are some useful additional tender locomotives for light passenger work from t he 1890s to the 1930s made by recycling existing graphics (and, in one case, recolouring them). The LMS 4P, LMS 2P and MR 483 class were all based on more or less the same design, and did not look significantly different from the exterior, with the exception that the 4P and 1000 class had outside cylinders, whereas the 483 and 2P did not; however, I do not think that the presence or absence of the relatively small outside cylinders of the 1000 or 4P would be noticeable at pak128 scale. The 2p I have made black by recolouring the graphics, as such small locomotives would have carried this livery in the days of the ever frugal LMS.

These are all based on the existing MR 1000 class, a compound locomotive of power classification 4P. Having small tender locomotives, as opposed to tanks, is useful in Experimental because they have less weight for the same amount of power, albeit they take longer to turn around at the end of the journey and tend to be more expensive to build. I noticed that SDog made good use of light tender locomotives (the much later BR 4MT) in his recent saved game. The 483 / 2P is an even lighter (and cheaper) version of the 1000 / 4P and can be useful for lightly trafficked rural lines. They are all passenger locomotives.

.dat files and recoloured .png files attached; translation texts below:

MR-483
MR 483 Class 4-4-0
MR-483(tender)
MR 483 Class 4-4-0 (tender)
LMS-2P
LMS Class 2P 4-4-0
LMS-2P(tender)
LMS Class 2P 4-4-0 (tender)
LMS-4P
LMS Class 4P 4-4-0
LMS-4P(tender)
LMS Class 4P 4-4-0 (tender)

waerth

How on earth do you keep on making these so quickly?

W

jamespetts

The last ones were made by recycling the graphics of the MR 1000 class, so that didn't take a great deal of time :-)

jamespetts

A very slightly updated locomotive that I have released before (itself made by recycling existing graphics), the LSWR N15, with a slightly more accurate shade of green to match the carriages in this thread. Only the graphic is new, so only that is attached.

jamespetts

Here are some LMS 4P 2-6-4T express tank locomotives for use on lighter express passenger trains or intermediate regional services; they are both predecessors of the BR 4MT 2-6-4T, and the graphics are derived from that locomotive. The first is the Fowler version introduced in 1927, and the second the Fairburn version from 1945 (which is very similar indeed to the BR 4MT).

.png and .dat files attached, translation texts below:

LMS-Fowler-4P-Tank
LMS Class 4P 2-6-4T
LMS-Fairburn-4P-Tank
LMS Class 4P 2-6-4T (Fairburn design)

jamespetts

Here is a small tank locomotive from the LMS from the 1930s: the 2P 0-4-4T. An evolution from the MR 1833 class (above), this locomotive was commonly used for push-pull workings.

.dat and .png files attached: English translation texts below:

LMS-0-4-4T
LMS 2P Class 0-4-4T (push-pull)

jamespetts

Here are some push-pull versions of existing LMS, Midland and BR locomotives to work with the push-pull carriages fron this thread. In Experimental, they can all be upgraded from their standard types. There are no new graphics for these, as they are not noticeably different at Pak128 scale. Note that, although the MR 1632 class, based on the MR 2441 class, and the LMS development often called the "Jinty" were officially classified as freight locomotives (having a classification 3F), a number of them were adapted to use with push-pull sets: see here for an early example.

jamespetts

Here is the non-streamlined version of the LMS "Princess Coronation" class, the original streamlined version being included with the pakset for quite some time. These top-link express locomotives were built during and after the War without their streamlining, and the streamlining was removed from existing locomotives from 1946 onwards, as it was found to be of limited benefit, and served to increase the locomotive's weight and maintenance costs. Accordingly, the non-streamlined version is cheaper to buy and maintain than the streamlined version, and, in Experimental, can be upgraded from the streamlined version at modest cost.

.png and .dat files attached, English translation texts below:

LMS-Stanier-7P-non-streamlined
LMS Class 8P "Princess Coronation" 4-6-2 (non-streamlined)

jamespetts

Two tanks here from the LBSCR, the pioneer of the express tank locomotive; the first a slightly smaller version of the enormous "Brighton Baltic" "L" class tank already included; the "J" class, which, although only two were ever made, was a successful design, and fits a useful gap in the size/performance ratio. The second, the I3 tank, has an important place in the development of locomotive design, as it was the first production locomotive in the UK fitted with superheating, resulting in far better performance and economy for the weight than was previously possible.

.png and .dat files attached, English translation texts below:

LBSCR-J
LBSCR Class J 4-6-2T
LBSCR-I3
LBSCR Class I3 4-4-2T

jamespetts

Another LBSCR tank in descending order of size from the previous examples, this time the outer suburban passenger E5 0-6-2T tank from 1901, which was, at the time, the largest tank engine operated by the LBSCR.

.png and .dat files attached, translation texts below:

LBSCR-E5
LBSCR Class E5 0-6-2T

jamespetts

Some more graphics recycling: the LNWR "Precedent" class using the graphics of the outwardly near identical later LNWR "Jumbo" class, already in the game. The "Precedent" is important because a great deal of information exists about its performance, having been involved in the Newark Brake Trials, and I have added it in order to assist with steam locomotive physics balancing. This should be tuned to more or less accurate performance in Experimental.

.dat file attached, English translation texts below:

LNWR-Precedent
LNWR "Precedent" Class 2-2-0
LNEW-Precedent-Tender
LNWR "Precedent" Class 2-2-0 (tender)

jamespetts

I have recently uploaded a large number of new steam locomotives to the Pak128.Britian-Ex Github repository, and thought that it might be worthwhile announcing them here. Unfortunately, as discussed in this thread, vehicles whose .dat files are written to take advantage of Experimental's new livery feature are not, without adaptation, compatible with Standard (although I have posted an extension request in the Standard board, as in the above linked thread). Many of these vehicles have livery schemes defined, so will need some adaptation to work with Standard. Nonetheless, I post them here for interest and in case anybody does want to adapt them for use in Standard. I shall not reproduce all of the files here, as there are a great many of them, nor do I yet have translations, but I shall link to the pictures on my Github repository, wherein the .dat files may also be found (under "/trains").

The purpose of these new locomotives is to fill in gaps in the 19th century (although there are also a few early 20th century examples). The focus is primarily on the London & North-Western and Midland Railways, although there are also some from the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (augmenting the considerable number of tank engines of that railway added in the last round of new locomotives).

Herewith the list:

LBSCR C1 class

Planet Goods locomotive

LMR Bird class

LNWR Crewe-type locomotive

LNWR Sharp tank locomotive

LNWR Sharp goods locomotive

LNWR side tank

Midland 480 class

LNWR McConnell side tank

Midland 133 class

LNWR B class

LNWR G1 class

Midland 800 class

Midland 700 class

LBSCR C class

LNWR 17in coal engine

LNWR 18in goods engine ("Cauliflower" class)

LNWR 0-6-2T "Coal tank"

Midland 1738 class

Midland 1357 class

Midland 1377 class

LNWR "Mansion House Tank"

LBSCR D2 class

LNWR George V class

LNWR Whale Precursor class

LNWR Claughton class

LNWR Precursor tank class

LNWR "Prince of Wales" tank class

greenling

The New Trainvehicles looks good out!
Cam the Vehicles all in the Paksets
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

would it be possible to have a zip file / git download of just these new ones?  The list is rather long to sift through and pick out just the new ones!  I will happily adapt dat files to standard.

jamespetts

Have you tried downloading a .zip of the whole repository, then sorting by date within the .zip file? If that doesn't work or is impractical, I can sort you out a special .zip file, but I have quite a lot of work on this week-end, so it might be a little while before I can do it. Thank you for putting these into Standard, though. Do you think that the LNWR Coal Tank might be a bit out of scale?

The Hood

I managed to get the files from a download of the repository.  One thing I've noticed though - most of the new trains are 180o out - the wrong images are being pointed to...  I've fixed that for the standard ones, but I've also combined the images into a single file per loco as per the convention with the rest of the standard images.  There are also some alignment issues on some of the locos which I have fixed in standard with image offsets.

jamespetts

Hmm - that's odd: I don't find that the wrong images are being pointed to when I see the vehicles in game, and the code for this is not different in Standard than Experimental. Which locomotives are affected?

Incidentally, is there a reason to combine the images? The idea of having separate images is to eliminate the need to go through a separate step of aligning the images onto a template graphic and then paint over the template guidelines for each vehicle by use of an automated exporting script. I find that this saves a great amount of time. Do you not think that this is a useful way to proceed?

The Hood

I'm mainly against individual images because of the sheer number this would entail - I don't like having too many files floating around in one directory.  Incidentally Zeno's ImageMasker programme combines the images into one at the click of a button (use the same image as mask).  I'm considering asking for the source so I can make it fit better into the pak128.Britain workflow.

For the rotations, all new images except the LBSCR ones and the LMR Bird are affected.

jamespetts

As to the orientation - that is very odd indeed. The LNWR Prince of Wales Tank, for example, displays correctly in Simutrans-Experimental 10.x pre-release with the following code for the graphics:

liverytype[0]=LNWR-Black
liverytype[1]=LMS-Standard

EmptyImage[E][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_E.0
EmptyImage[SE][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_SE.0
EmptyImage[S][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_S.0
EmptyImage[SW][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_SW.0
EmptyImage[W][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_W.0
EmptyImage[NW][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_NW.0
EmptyImage[N][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_N.0
EmptyImage[NE][0]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank_NE.0

EmptyImage[E][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_E.0
EmptyImage[SE][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_SE.0
EmptyImage[S][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_S.0
EmptyImage[SW][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_SW.0
EmptyImage[W][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_W.0
EmptyImage[NW][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_NW.0
EmptyImage[N][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_N.0
EmptyImage[NE][1]=./images/lnwr-PoW-tank-lms_NE.0

The LMR Bird uses this code:

EmptyImage[E]=./images/lmr-bird_E.0
EmptyImage[SE]=./images/lmr-bird_SE.0
EmptyImage[S]=./images/lmr-bird_S.0
EmptyImage[SW]=./images/lmr-bird_SW.0
EmptyImage[W]=./images/lmr-bird_W.0
EmptyImage[NW]=./images/lmr-bird_NW.0
EmptyImage[N]=./images/lmr-bird_N.0
EmptyImage[NE]=./images/lmr-bird_NE.0

Both display correctly, and in both cases the orientation specified in the EmptyImage[xx]= line matches that in the image file name. Looking at the images themselves, lmr-bird_S.png (the Southern image) has the front of the locomotive facing the bottom left of the image; likewise, lnwr-PoW-tank_S.png also has the front of the locomotive facing the bottom left of the image. So, the orientation of the images in both cases is the same, as is their representation in the code; I am confused, I must say, as to how the LNWR Prince of Wales tank is rotated and the LMR Bird is not; are you sure that it is not a mistake at your end?

As to the workflow; I am not familiar with ImageMasker; do you currently use that for exporting Pak128.Britain graphics? I have a vague recolleciton of software designed for working with masking, but doesn't that require a totally different workflow (producing images with a different appearance) to those used in Pak128.Britain?

The Hood

I've just looked into this too - seems that the images that "don't work" are the ones I did after I realised I could do it in ImageMasker - must have been tired when I checked as in fact your original source images are fine.  Sorry for the scare!  I don't normally use ImageMasker but it does combine 8 source images from blender into a single png quite nicely (except the bar at the top which I have to remove manually at the minute).  It was designed for use with a "mask" render and to allow automatic conversion of player colours, but using the same image for base and mask means this functionality is not used.

jamespetts

Thank you for re-checking that.

Hmm - interesting, re: ImageMasker. Does it re-align the images from centred images (as are outputted in Zeno's original script), or does it require pre-aligned images (as in my modification of Zeno's script)? If the former, does it produce different alignments for road vehicles than for other vehicles as is necessary to align them correctly? Currently, my Victorian mail carts are not properly aligned.

The Hood

Don't think it realigns images, and I wasn't aware that the blender render script auto-centres images.  As far as I know it just depends on where the object was and rotates the camera.  As I mentioned above some of your new images are misaligned anyway, which would imply your script doesn't work as well as intended.  IIRC, if you set the object in blender so that the front of the image is four blender grid squares from the origin that should get it to align correctly.

Edit: not sure the alignment thingy works perfectly with Zeno's script after all - that's a hangover from the old workflow I inherited from Kieron...

jamespetts

Are you referring to Zeno's original script here or my edited version of it? The errors in alignment in my images may be a fault of the position of the vehicles in Blender rather than the script itself.

Zeno's original script puts the vehicles in about the middle of the 128x128 block, which is not correct for Pak128.Britain. My revised version of the script puts them in the positions necessary for them to align properly without being processed further (at least, most of the time: I had some trouble with the re-liveried Mk. III vehicles, but it looks as though those were made with a slightly different workflow for some reason).

jamespetts

Three more steam locomotives, also on Github, and in Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.8.2 (released to-day):

LBSCR E1 class

LBSCR E3 class

LBSCR E4 class

There are also some improved graphics for two LBSCR classes - the D1, which looks better generally, and the C and C1, which now have the correct "goods green" livery, instead of the "improved engine green" (ochre) passenger livery incorrectly carried before:

LBSCR C1 class

LBSCR C class

LBSCR D1 class

jamespetts

Here is the Metropolitan "A class". Although used primarily on the Metropolitan Railway in London, these were also used by the LNWR, MR and LSWR. For the time being, only LNWR and MR liveries are included (for Experimental). I suggest that the Standard version takes the LNWR red livery. Translation texts below:

Metropolitan-A-Class
A Class 4-4-0T

I have added this locomotive because I noticed on looking at AEO's saved game here that there was a shortage of heavy suburban locomotives in the 1860s. This particular locomotive was widely used and lasted many years, so is a good candidate. Metropolitan and LSWR liveries might follow later when I produce more stock for those railways.

jamespetts

Here is an early LBSCR tank locomotive of 1855 (see here and here for images of a model of this locomotive, the only reference for it that I have). I did not have technical data for this one, so I have assumed it to be similar, but slightly smaller than the LNWR side tank of the same era.

The translation text is:

LBSCR-0-4-2T
LBSCR Craven 0-4-2T

Edit: Below is an in-game screenshot of it with some of the new early LBSCR carriages.

jamespetts

Some slight reworkings of locomotives from last summer, with realigned graphics and more accurate power and speed figures: the LMR Planet goods locomotive and the LMR Bird class, both 1830s era locomotives. Files attached.

The Hood

All of the latest additions/mods are in Standard now.

jamespetts

Excellent. I can do a Metropolitan livery for the A-class when we get the Underground things started (which would probably be the best livery for Standard, as that was the livery in which it appeared most often).

jamespetts

Hmm - I produced a graphic for a Midland Railway 800 class ages ago, but only this evening realised that I forgot also to produce a .dat file for it. I have also updated the graphic. The new .dat file is here. The graphics are below:

The locomotive uses the 156 class's tender. The translation text is as follows:

MR-800
Midland 800 Class 2-4-0

Incidentally, I have re-scaled the graphics for most Midland Railway locomotives, including the 156 class which was part of the original Pak128.Britain from some time ago, as they were all too large. I recommend using the re-scaled graphics (and accompanying .dat files, as the new graphics are in different formats) in Standard, too, as the old graphics look awfully out of place.

jamespetts

Here's a minor addition: the LNWR Newton class: very similar to the LNWR Precedent class, except an earlier and less powerful version, without a full cab. This fills in a gap in the LNWR timeline in the late 1860s/early 1870s. The tender is the same as for the Precedent and Jumbo classes.

Graphics:

.dat file here

Translation texts:

LNWR-Newton
LNWR "Newton" Class 2-4-0

greenling

jamespetts
the new railvehicels look good out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!