News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[New vehicles] Steam locomotives

Started by jamespetts, December 31, 2010, 02:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Thank you.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jamespetts

Here is the LNWR 5'6 radial tank: a very common locomotive for local/outer suburban/light semi-fast passenger services. Outwardly, this was nearly identical to the earlier Mansion House tank, except that it had much larger driving wheels, resulting in a higher top speed but lower tractive effort. In the Experimental version, it comes in three liveries: LNWR, LMS and BR. The .dat file can be found here.

The original LNWR livery version of the graphics are here:

The translation texts are as follows:

LNWR-5ft-6-tank
LNWR 5'6 Radial Tank 2-4-2T

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

Quick question James - there are two 4MTs now in your pak, a 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 version. Which one is the one previously called 4MT?

jamespetts

Ahh, that's a bit confusing - previously, I'd had the graphics of the 2-6-0 but with the name and details of the 4-6-0.

jamespetts

I have been improving the graphics of a number of the steam locomotives, as well as producing one or two more. As ever, .dat files and updated en.tab on my Github repository (although I should caution that I have recently completely re-calibrated the power for Experimental, so this might have to be adjusted for Standard).

First, the updated graphics. Some of the updates are very minor, just to ensure consistent alignment; some are re-scaled, and some are significantly changed (such as the Bloomer and Terrier).

GWR Bulldog Class

GNR C1 "Large Atlantic" Class

LNER/WD J94 Class (Choice of liveries available)

LNWR "Bloomer"

LBSCR A1 Class

Next, the new locomotives. Where there are no separate graphics for the tender, the graphics of another locomotive's tender are used.

LBSCR H1 "Atlantic"

MR 1783 Class

MR 2736 Class

GWR City Class

GNR "Klondyke" Class

MR 27 Class

ӔO

I can't wait to use all these new trains!
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Thanks - I will include these in a few weeks when I'm back from holiday.

jamespetts

Here is the Midland 2781 class, the 4-4-0 express passenger locomotive introduced in 1900, two years before the later 4-4-0 compounds of the 1000 class (the latter being in the new numbering series), being an intermediate step between the power class 2 locomotives such as the 2301 class and the larger power class 4 locomotives such as the 1000 class:

Please note that I have re-done the .dat files for all of the Midland 4-4-0s apart from the 1000 class in response to further research showing the original research to be inaccurate, particularly the Wikipedia article for the Midland Class 483, which incorrectly implied that the class was built more or less unchanged from 1883 - in fact, the locomotives built in 1883 were in no way the same class as locomotives built in the 1910s, and had in common only that they were power class 2 4-4-0s: please see my Github repository for a fix to this confusion, including a new .dat file for the 2781 class, which shares graphics with an earlier 4-4-0 because they were visually indistinguishable (at least, as far as could be seen in Simutrans graphics), but were a little more powerful.

The Hood

Just infilling the Southern express loco timeline as part of my rebalancing project. Here is the Lord Nelson class of 1926:

jamespetts

Very nice!

Edit: Any chance of lending a hand to the rather busy maintainer of the Experimental version of the pakset by producing this in multiple liveries (malachite, wartime and BR)?

The Hood

I'll have a go. I can't help thinking the existing SR livery is too pale/bright for malachite green though. Do you have any thoughts?

jamespetts

I thought that the livery in the picture was supposed to be Maunsell era "olive" green...? It looks more or less right for that. The malachite green of the Bulleid era in the game is really very bright indeed (see the 4-COR, for instance).

The Hood

I was refering to the malachite green currently on other images. How about the one in here?

jamespetts

That's very nice! There is an error with the very first graphic, however, in that there are areas where the background has taken over the dark parts.

The Hood

Here's a revised Merchant Navy along with livery variants...

jamespetts

Very nice! Can you upload .blends of these so that I can add them to my archives?

Edit: It would be useful to do this not least so that I can use the same malachite colour on other SR vehicles that I do, as I have a large number of (ex-)LBSCR locomotives and carriages in malachite green (although it will take a long time to change them all...)

AP

These are very good indeed, nice to see the pre-grouping vehicles getting a comprehensive treatment.

Re the LSWR I know we have an M7, but if you're after suggestions I'd suggest looking at a number of the Adams/Drummond/Beattie designs that were long-lived e.g T9, 415, 0298 classes, to pick just a few.

jamespetts

A proper LSWR set is on my list, but I need to finish the Midland carriages first, after which I need to get a better selection of LBSCR locomotives - and that is after finishing re-doing the BR Mk. I carriages with better bogies and a full set of liveries up to the end of the nationalised railway, which I have to intersperse with coding...

The Hood

West country in updated malachite and BR green - don't think these ever carried black or blue.

jamespetts

greenling

Hello The Hood
The Steam locomotives they you have be paint looks very cool out.
But in what for year was those Steam locomotives in use?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

The SR West Country class were built from 1945-1951, and were used until about 1966/1967.

The Hood

SR Schools liveries. Wartime black can also substitute for BR Black (early BR livery)

kierongreen

Nice :) Can I just make a small request though (and this applies to Simutrans Experimental use too). Any special livery for the periods 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 should be designated Railway Executive Committee as opposed to any other name. We don't try to simulate any particular aspects of wider political history in Simutrans. Cheers :)

jamespetts

Looking lovely! As to the names - was "Railway Executive Committee" the exact name for the railway operations during both wars? I know that some locomotives were specifically branded "WD" (for "War Department"), but that might have been a rather separate thing.

kierongreen

Railway Executive Committee ran the railways during both wars yes. The name "British Railways" was also used during 1939-45( 8 ) and is also acceptable. Note the the period 1945-48 is a little murky as the railways hadn't been returned to private ownership yet hadn't been permanently nationalised either. REC, BR, LNER, LMS, GWR or SR would be acceptable in these years

"WD" locomotives were intended for use by armed forces overseas (although when there was nowhere for them to be used overseas they were sometimes used within the UK). "WD" locomotives fall outside the scope of Simutrans.

jamespetts

Even the 2-10-0 and 2-8-0 locomotives that were actually used in UK traffic?

kierongreen

The ones which were bought by LNER/BR after 1945 ceased to be WD locomotives from that point :)

jamespetts

Ahh, so the locomotives are relevant, but the "WD" name is not (except as a descriptor for those locomotives)?

Incidentally, I rather suspect that "Railway Executive Committee" is too long for the Experimental livery scheme dialogue box - do you know whether it was known by an official or semi-official shorter name at the time?

Edit: On testing, only "Railway Executive" is visible.

kierongreen

Indeed. WD use (whether within or outwith the UK) would fall outside the scope of Simutrans. Even as a descriptor it should be left out as ones remained in WD use after 1945.

Use on regular freight would of course be acceptable, but for this I would introduce these as "Austerity 2-8-0" in 1945 and "Austerity 2-10-0" in 1948.

Certainly for the purposes of livery the period 1939-1948 could be treated as an extension of the British Railways era as the name began to be in use during this time.

jamespetts

Currently, I have a "Wartime austerity" livery scheme for both wartime periods, which I have experimentally renamed to "Railway Executive Cttee." based on your suggestion, although only "Railway Executive" is visible as noted above. The company liveries remain active until 1948 in their own schemes, allowing players the choice of whether to implement wartime liveries or not.

Incidentally, was it not the "Railway Operating Department" in the First World War (shortened to "ROD" on many locomotives)?

kierongreen

You could just name the scheme Austerity? Infact this could be a general term used for black liveries used during these periods?

ROD 1914-1918 is equivalent to WD 1939-1945 and should be avoided.

The Hood

I suspect "Austerity" is the best way forward. That said, I really can't see the problem with calling locos WD for War Department or having a Wartime livery - it's just historical fact. It doesn't encourage war or turn simutrans into a war game in the way I can see people might object to transporting troops or munitions around.

Anyway I spotted some realignment problems with earlier uploaded graphics.

greenling

Hello The Hood
The new photos from the vehicle looks very good out.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Are the .dat files (and fixed graphics) for the Lord Nelson class available yet? I should like to add these to Experimental, together with calibration of physics. Also, would it be possible to upload .blends? I should be very grateful.

Edit: In this Git commit, I add the Midland Railway Class 25, as well as recalibrate the power, tractive effort and top speed of some other locomotives, and add one or two other slight variations of Midland locomotives in the 4-2-2 or 4-4-0 configuration (for express passenger work). Only the Class 25, however, has new graphics:

although I have also re-done the graphics of the 115 Class ("spinner") to match: