News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Player colour stations

Started by The Hood, March 01, 2011, 08:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I've used Zeno's player colour processor to develop a player colour version of the brick overbridge station.  I've got some screenshots below and I'd like opinions - I know there's some tidying up of the alignment to do, but it's the overall effect for now.  I'm not 100% convinced myself, some colours work better than others and some are so obviously out of tune with the pak colours it's very cringeworthy.  Some of the better ones are below.  The main question I'm asking here really is this: is it worth doing this for all of the other stations or is it better to stick with what we've got?

alexbaettig

I think the current graphics are far better. These don't look very well with the general design of the pak.

ӔO

maybe an extension request for pakset defined player colours?

overall, I think the vast majority of player colours for pakbrit are too vibrant.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

VS

The player colour schemes overlap with other special colour lists, so you can indeed optimize for ugliness :P The "weird blue" on last picture is actually for water on minimap, I believe. IMO there are at least four viable colour schemes, though.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

I'm in favour of having player coloured stations. The issue of clashing colours with the scheme is easily remedied by players not, in fact, choosing clashing colours. I think that player coloured stations adds a real element of depth and is of great use in online games.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

@James - do you think the first 4 above are worth persevering with?  If yes then that's probably OK, as most graphics have less player colour than the over-roof (hence why I started with that).  The last is an example of the slightly more out-of-place.

VS

You might want to think also about number of players - what if the pool of "good colours" is exhausted?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

How many is that?  "playing" is rather an alien concept to me... :s

ӔO

I think it's up to 13 players + 1 public and 28 colours to choose from.

Colour safe chart:

VS

Same here, I'm afraid.

One more thought: In the long run, player colours can perhaps change for better, but graphics must be ready for them... so keep the pictures ;)

jamespetts

An alternative if the player colour overall roof is considered too garish to accomodate some of the player colours: keep the existing roof colour, but have player coloured seats and signs: then, even if the colours are a bit much, the effect is far more subtle. I always thought that the bright red lamp-posts of the modern station types (presumably, following the Network SouthEast style) was a little garish and would do well to be in player colour.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

Support for player-color on benches and signs on historic and modern stations.  Same for depots, eventually, would be wonderful.

Perhaps player-color only on the "main ribs" of the train-shed, with the remaining steel in grey or as sdog says a muted version of the ochre?

sdog

@james +1

i very much like that picture of the blue and yellow ocre roofs. Any chance to have the stations in this colour. Not as a player colour, but as a fixed one. The green is a bit too inconspicious. :-)

And there should have been blue and ocre anit-rust paint in 19th century too, not just the ubiquious green one. (the foundation was likely lead-teroxide)

The Hood

I've decided to bite the bullet with this one - I've added player colours to most rail stations now (but not in SVN just yet).  I think I'll keep the player colour roof too - on reflection a fair few colours work OK and it's better once I'd fixed the alignment of the roof images.

ӔO

just a thought, but would it be practical to add player colours to rail and road ways by adding a small fence or pipe that runs along the side?

It may not be immediately obvious who owns the way as it stands now.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Excellent! This will definitely enhance things.

The Hood

@AEO - I'm not that keen, it's a lot of work, but would probably include any graphics someone else produced if the player colours were subtle.

sdog

it's probably not necessary to have it at all parts of a track. a few colour dots at points or buffer stops might suffice.

greenling

The station to give a Playercolor it´s for a networkgame good!
There can you view on a look how what´s for a Player there play!
That make the talking betwed the Player lighter!
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Milko

Hi

Quote from: sdog on September 12, 2011, 08:00:42 AM
it's probably not necessary to have it at all parts of a track. a few colour dots at points or buffer stops might suffice.

Yes, I also think that some colored pixels superimposed on the normal image can be a good solution, it would not be necessary to revise the graphics of the pak and you can also disable the display through a setting in the software.

Giuseppe

The Hood

Some of the stations (all rail passenger and some other ones) now have player colours in SVN.  Some of the rail platforms now also have snow.

sdog

QuoteSome of the rail platforms now also have snow.
that last but one winter really had an impact on you people living in real-life pak-britain! Two years ago hardly anyone would not have considered snow images in pak britain superfluous work. ;-)

jamespetts

Excellent - I have been looking forward to these!

wlindley

After makeobj BritStation-Ex.pak ... Yay! These make all the difference in a multi-company game; they are simply marvelous!   :award:

The Hood

Glad these are appreciated.  Adding a few more snow images for stations now.

jamespetts

I have noticed an error in one of the player colour station buildings: this image has only incomplete player colours applied to the doors.

The Hood

Yes - that's because only the first 4 images are used.

wlindley

Borrowing the basic design from pak128.Japan, here's a station stairway and overpass, in both brick and concrete platform versions.

Comments, before I add the snow versions?

source, and playable .pak file here.

jamespetts

Hmm - I like the idea of a bridge, but the style does not seem to fit in with the other graphics as well as it might: it appears too bright, slightly too small in scale and does not look particularly British. What era were you considering with this graphic?

The Hood

I would agree with James. The white appears too bright and the ovetall style does not fit. Scale looks about right to me though, even too large.

sdog

the asphalt floor version would fit perfectly well in pak128.

a good extension would be a conexion to the outside, pregerably to a bus stop next to it.

wlindley

OK... I have a couple specific prototypes in mind, now that I actually look at the fotos again.  And now that I have a "layered" Gimp file, these should be easy. Theoretically. **ponders**   

ӔO

from my understanding, most busy british rail stations have an underground pass instead of an overhead, don't they?

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: AEO on December 31, 2011, 08:23:15 PM
from my understanding, most busy british rail stations have an underground pass instead of an overhead, don't they?

It varies quite a considerable degree - both styles are and were common.