News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Crash loading level

Started by jorrit, October 27, 2008, 01:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorrit

Hi, I'm playing simutrans 100.1-2070 with pak128 (version 179). When I try to load a level I saved a few days ago I get this error:

FATAL ERROR: dingliste_t::laden()
During loading: Unknown object type 'O'
PRESS ANY KEY

When I press a key it crashes.

Is this a known problem?

Greetings and thanks,

wernieman

You play with windows?

Have you try it with "-log 1 -debug" and can you give us the logfile?
I hope you understand my English

jorrit

Yes I'm on windows. Note that I have upgraded my simutrans nightly to 2076 now and the crash is still here. I generated the log file as you requested but it is 612Kb big. Where can I put it so you can examine it?

Greetings and thanks,

vilvoh

You may make a zip with it. is a text file, isn't it?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jorrit

Quote from: vilvoh on October 27, 2008, 02:08:39 PM
You may make a zip with it. is a text file, isn't it?

yes, it is a text file and I can certainly make a zip of it. But what then? I see no way to attach files to posts here in this forum. But perhaps I'm overlooking something?

Greetings,

jorrit

Aha found it. Here is the log.

Greetings,

prissi

You will get this only with broken savegames ...

jorrit

Quote from: prissi on October 27, 2008, 03:54:09 PM
You will get this only with broken savegames ...

And how can a savegame get broken? I didn't do anything special with it.

Greetings,

vilvoh

Maybe incompatibility with old versions or perhaps you've missed objects used in the original version you played that savegame with. It's known that the use of bleeding edge versions, more known as nightlies, might break some savegames from old versions. Sometimes it even corrupts the file (in extreme cases, of course)

quote from the archive,What version should I use? topic:
Therefore there are two flavours of Simutrans:

The hottest newest version, which might not work for you or eating up your hard disk. Use this for beta test, but expect nasty crashes, unloadable savegames, non-producting industries ..

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jorrit

Quote from: vilvoh on October 27, 2008, 04:11:22 PM
Maybe incompatibility with old versions or perhaps you've missed objects used in the original version you played that savegame with. It's known that the use of bleeding edge versions, more known as nightlies, might break some savegames from old versions. Sometimes it even corrupts the file (in extreme cases, of course)

Well in this case I didn't do any upgrade of anything between the level working and not working. On day 1 I save the game. I go to bed. On day 2 I load the game and it no longer loads. No upgrades or anything (I did upgrade the nightly AFTER finding out it crashed). Also note that older savegames of the same level (I tend to keep backups) do load fine. It was just that single version that failed.

Greetings,

prissi

This error can only happen in a game when an object with the wrong length is loaded. This is only possible, when either an object was not correctly written or the informations before were wrong. This happens in 99% with broken savegames.

Do you have the savegame? Then I can have a look at it. But usually this error means that there was not enough place during saving or writing on disk failed or the file is damaged.

jorrit

I still have the savegame but it is 2.8 megs and compressing doesn't help. This forum has a limit of 200k for attachments.

Perhaps I can email it or upload it somewhere?

Greetings,

jorrit

Here it is:

http://www.simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/eff19_crash.sve

Greetings,

Hmm, looking at the file lengths I notice that it is a bit shorter then my other save games of around the same time. So it looks as if it got truncated somehow. Not sure how that could happen though.

Greetings,

Note by Admin: Too much double-posts. Please, use "Modify" button and everyone will see a "New" tag in topic title in topic index.
- IgorTekton

prissi

Well, the last object just before was a tree. I therefore assume a broken savegame, since the format of trees was not change since quite a while.