News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

[blender] Anyone else noticed differences between renders in 2.49 and 2.5x?

Started by The Hood, April 15, 2011, 08:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Calling all other blender people:  anyone else noticed some strange effects when trying to render old models in blender 2.5x?  I've just been trying to update some pak128.Britain images using models from old blender 2.49 files and I get different results in blender 2.5x - very frustrating especially as I'm loving Zeno's new automated render script for blender 2.5x!  If you have noticed - does anyone know how to resolve?

Spot the difference...

vilvoh

Maybe you have to adjust some rendering parameters, light related perhaps? I mean, there are big, really big changes between 2.49 and 2.5.x, so probably the rendering process and output is one of them.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Zeno

That's true. I've noticed my 2.5 renders are darker and not so clean as 2.49 ones. I don't know yet why, but I'll have plenty of free time to dig into it during the next week. I'll let you know what I can find out.

Quote from: The Hood on April 15, 2011, 08:27:51 AM
very frustrating especially as I'm loving Zeno's new automated render script for blender 2.5x!
It's hard to get back to the old manual slow method... I know! heheh 8)

The Hood

I've had a bit of a play.  It seems that surfaces with the "set smooth" property are generally worst affected.  Not sure how to fix, other than not to use smoothing!

Djohaal

I don't know what is the name of the tool in blender, but you must set normal groups on a per-face basis. The shading and cornering in the first image is due to normals bending over the corner of the box shape, perturbing the light display.

For more info take a look at shading models such as phong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_shading

vilvoh

If I remember correctly, when the surface has been set as smooth, you have to recalculate the normals, pressing CTRL+N or splitting the surface into smaller parts, to reduce the amount of vertex affected by the smooth modifier.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

Have you tried with the latest stable of Blender, 2.57? Incidentally, I'd say that the 2.5x render is the better of the two.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Same in 2.57.  If you get them in game, you will soon see the 2.5x version is not appropriate for simutrans - the grey-white shading on each carriage just looks very odd indeed.

Anyway, for the scale of the models at 128x128 tile size, it's perfectly fine to render flat surfaces rather than smooth.  I tried a bit in 249 and you can barely notice the difference.

jamespetts

Recalculating the normals just makes things worse, alas, as one gets inconsistent patterns of light and dark. Selecting "flip normals" works to give a stable overall dark roof, but then the results are darker than the roof images from 2.49 (but much closer to the colour actually seen in the 3D viewport in Blender). Selecting all the faces and setting "shade flat" produces a stably light roof, but the appearance is a little lighter than in 2.49, I think.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.