News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Passengers?

Started by linesa, September 05, 2011, 05:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linesa

Is there any way make positive result with passenger and mail in 1930?

Many times tried, allways bankrupt... :)

I know, passenger and mail have a very small profit, but also a big speed bonus.

reytm2

I avoid the bus and truck move empty. Putting a minimum load to carry ...

thus avoiding unnecessary expenses.

Mi blog, reytm2.blogspot.es - others, sms a cuba

sdog

linesa, the key for passengers is using the network effect. The larger your network is the more passengers you can generate. Starting slowly with pax mostly fails. Try to connect two areas with enough passengers and build up the local networks there. Mostly ignore mail at first, if you have a fairly stable pax network, you can upgrade your large stops for mail and collect. (you have to do that anyway for overcrowding reasons)

Newby20

start at industries passenger and mails later

Václav

I have to agree with Newby20 - and also with sdog:

1. on the begínning of new game set that every factory will have employees from at least 2 cities. So after start of freight service you can use those tracks (and roads) also for passengers and post

2. build network for buses and post in cities - and connect cities with shared factories

3. trains (or buses) will go on shorter way (than if they should go between cities) - and they will make profit a little easier

4. minor tip for connecting of cities with factories - choose factory with the greatest number of passengers and post

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

wlindley

The late Dr. Adrian Herzog explained the "Matrix Theory" (a.k.a., Network Effect) in two videos:

http://www.unitedrail.org/2007/04/04/dr-adrian-herzog-on-the-matrix-theory/

And a little deeper in this document:

http://www.unitedrail.org/2000/08/31/an-introduction-to-matrix-theory-for-passenger-trains/

There really is no better demonstration of the how this works, than by building a successful Simutrans network!

PatrickN

Something I found was that if I cover every city in an area with stops and put one bus covering all those stops within each city, and then start a line with one bus that travels between one stop in each city (I use city hall stops), it doesn't take long before I have to have about five or ten buses running on the line that travels from city to city, and then I adjust the number of buses within each city to maximize profits.

5 cities:
City 1 has 8 stops and a small bus operating on a line that only covers those 8 stops.
City 2 has 6 stops and a small bus operating on a line that only covers those 6 stops.
City 3 has 5 stops and a small bus operating on a line that only covers those 5 stops.
City 4 has 10 stops and a small bus operating on a line that only covers those 10 stops.
City 5 has 7 stops and a small bus operating on a line that only covers those 7 stops.

One stop in each city is beside the city hall, and is auto-named "CITYNAME City Hall stop".

A sixth line with a large bus travels from city to city, stopping only at the city hall stop of each city (so it only has five stops and then repeats in reverse).

The bus in City 1 brings passengers leaving town from the other 7 stops and drops them off at the city hall stop where they are then picked up by the bus going to other cities.  That bus also drops passengers off to be taken from the city hall and delivered to their final destination at one of the other 7 stops.

[I confused myself each time I tried to type out an explanation of how I do this, so I kept typing until I think I understand myself, so hopefully everyone else does, too.  I've considered a diagram, but that might be overkill. ;)]

Painter, in and out of retirement.

trashhead

I understand your explanation.

I just recently begin to make profit with Pak128, in beginner mode and connecting factories with trucks without bankrupt in the first five years (it my first time ever and  i'm so happy), and i just put a Napik AI for passengers that aloud my cities to grow, and it did what you explain....but guess what, the AI is completly bankrupt....