News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Creating an LAN server?

Started by Dreedo, April 26, 2011, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreedo

Hi,

I was just wondering whether it was possible to create an LAN server. Is there some kind of server program that you need to use to host a server? I edited my Simuconf.tab file to the same as it says in the 'how to setup a server' topic. But can't connect to it.

I presume you can only see your server if its registered on the server list? :/

Thanks.

prissi

THe server is only visible, if it is registered on the server list. But you can connect to it without the list, just enter the address. Please only enter server to the list which are actually working.

Dreedo

Well i kept the IP as 127.0.0.1 in the config, booted up simutrans (latest version) and clicked playonline, clicked the add server button, but when i entered 127.0.0.1, it said: Server did not respond.

I uncommented the multiplayer options in the simuconf file by removing the # at the start of the necessary lines, i presume I'm meant to do that.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

VS

You will run Simutrans twice - once as the server*, once as "some" client. The instance started with -server option will be the server, and the other will connect to it. Connecting is where you will "add server".

The address 127.0.0.1 is special (everywhere) and means "same computer". So, you can use that only if you run Simu twice on one machine. Otherwise, you will have to find out your IP addresses yourself...

*Advisable: duplicate the whole Simutrans folder, choose one for server and edit server's simuconf.tab to have singleuser_install=1. This will prevent clashes of two Simutranses running on one computer, when you try stuff.

It's not clear exactly what all you did, so sorry if I repeat the obvious trivia...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dreedo

Wow, thanks a lot, i have it working now. :)

faruq

Yeahhh..
thanks guys!!!!
its work!!!!

Spacethingy

Apologies for the necro, but any chance the 127.0.0.1 address thing could be added to Timothy's very useful stickied post below?
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8230.0

I spent quite a bit of time searching out port numbers and horribly complicated stuff before stumbling on this thread... :)
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Fabio

Quote from: Spacethingy on November 28, 2012, 12:48:33 PM
any chance the 127.0.0.1 address thing could be added to Timothy's very useful stickied post below?
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8230.0

I just quoted Prissi's and VS's tips there.

Spacethingy

Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Fabio

Forum and wiki seem to be in competition, but most players apparently like forum better...