News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

pusher engine

Started by uci, May 10, 2011, 12:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uci

Is there a reason not to have a pusher engine in pak128?

Zeno

Probably could be done by not adding constraints to a loco, but never tried. Never seen a real one, although they probably exist :)

Erik

The add-on with Dutch trains (NS-pak) has such locomotives.
So yes it is possible and it exists.

uci

Quote from: Erik on May 10, 2011, 06:53:51 PM
The add-on with Dutch trains (NS-pak) has such locomotives.
So yes it is possible and it exists.
Thanks.

Indeed, they exist in reality, and sometimes we "need" them in Simutrans , for example in large convoys.

DirrrtyDirk

I think (if I remember correctly, that is) constraints were added to pak 128 engines a long(!) time ago - and for a while not even double traction was possible then. This was fixed later, but maybe we should remove constraints from most/all engines completely now...?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Zeno

Well, removing all of them would be an option. Another thing is whether it makes sense allowing put different engines together... I'm afraid I don't have knowledge enough to give a solid opinion :-/

Lmallet

To support Dirk's comment, I think locomotive restrictions should be reviewed in pak128.  For example, the Budd passenger cars were pulled by all kinds of locomotives, not just the E8s (and vice versa, the E8 could pull other cars than Budds, but would not have been powerful enough to pull freight cars).  Many Budds are still being pulled today by modern locos (look at Via Rail Canada for example).

VS

I think Napik wanted to improve the game and make it more diverse by forcing some of these semi-artificial constraints... Take the following as somewhat dubious, since it's all from my ementaler memory ;)

His calculations showed that a locomotive gives maximal revenue when loaded to 60% speed slowdown (in the context of prices back then, not sure how much is this still true).

Another argument was that small locos are cheap, so that stacking them would yield more economical convoys than big engines. (I guess this could also be one of the reasons for high infrastructure costs?)

I'm not saying it should stay that way, though :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

paco_m

Quote from: Zeno on May 11, 2011, 03:14:35 PM
Well, removing all of them would be an option. Another thing is whether it makes sense allowing put different engines together... I'm afraid I don't have knowledge enough to give a solid opinion :-/

This pusher engines or secondary pull engines or even both (depends on train config) are used at nearly all railroads crossing the alps. Normally they are only used to support the trains going up to the top (pass) and there they are removed from the convoy and return to support the next train. In most cases this supporting engines are powerful but old engines that due to low max speeds (70-100km/h) are not used for normal operation any more.
So it is quite rare that the supporting engine is of the same type as the trains main engine ;)

VS

Well, since adding dynamically is not possible, let's concentrate on other uses...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Right, it would be impossible to simulate that behaviour since the pusher would restrict the convoi's max speed - in case of old powerful and slow engine used as pusher. Dunno if would be useful to add an engine at the end of a convoi, f.i. when talking about low power locos.

Lmallet

Another thought: in real life adding remote control locomotives to the middle of a train is often used on very long trains.

DirrrtyDirk

True, but we have a maximum length of 24 vehicles in simutrans - that hardly qualifies as very long train, compared to real life, right?  ;)

On the other hand, I personally  like the freedom to do certain things as eye candy once in a while... but then again, allowing engines to push instead of pull trains, affects the economical balancing of the game. Pulling engins must fit into stations (requiring longer stations with higher cost and maintenance) while pushing engines can stay outside... difficult to say how big this influence would be in the end, but it would be there.

VS

Ah I forgot one argument, too - stacking weaker locos means that stronger locos are redundant, so making locos "head only" forces player to use wider range of engines.

Zeno

Quote from: VS on May 12, 2011, 09:50:07 PM
stacking weaker locos means that stronger locos are redundant, so making locos "head only" forces player to use wider range of engines.
Well, you can stack weak locos in front and ignore stronger locos anyway :P

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on May 12, 2011, 09:33:18 PM
[...] pushing engines can stay outside... difficult to say how big this influence would be in the end, but it would be there.
I would say it wouldn't make the difference. You pay RC anyway for the pushing engine, but despite keeping it out of the station I'd say you could benefit from it only in fewer cases (stacking quick locos with low power).

Anyway I'd rather keep things like they are, with locos in front. With such short trains we have in ST it makes no sense to me putting an engine in the back of a convoi.

DirrrtyDirk

I wan't actually thinking about running costs, but station maintenance there, which IIRC is a major factor in the beginning of a game - at least last time I tried freight services by train in 1930 (but that was several months ago). The effect will certainly shrink in more developed games - but sooner or later you'll drown in money anyway... ;)

paco_m

Quote from: Zeno on May 12, 2011, 10:02:27 PM
Anyway I'd rather keep things like they are, with locos in front. With such short trains we have in ST it makes no sense to me putting an engine in the back of a convoi.

I agree on that, the cases when real trains are pushed or supported from the end or even middle can not be simulated in Simutrans anyways (would require dynamic convoy arrangements like in RT) so I think there is no need to have this engine at the end feature here ;)

greenling

excuse me i like be pushed train.
In Germany it´s the push a train big in useing most InterCity have a steeringcar and the most
Regioalexpress have a Steeringcar.
Trains they be not be pushed are be geting rare.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

uci

Quote from: greenling on May 21, 2011, 07:32:25 AM
excuse me i like be pushed train.
You can do what I did. Change some sources in pak128 and create an addon as you like.

But, I should say that pak64 does have pushing engines. This was the reason that I asked for it.

Václav

All what is need is to have locomotives with possibility to be at the end of train.

I don't know situation in locomotives what are included into main set but you can download Czech ones available in Czech board. Most of them can be set on the end of trains - they are for pak128, of course, when this topic is inside pak128 board.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní