News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Fences

Started by ercsim, May 14, 2011, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ercsim

Any fences (placed by players to separate cities from growing into land reserved for future development purposes) that is compatible with pak128.britain that can be downloaded?

EDIT: These fences can be used. But, it doesn't really fit into pak128.britain's graphic set.
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/doku.php?id=en:fences
Experiments with Simutrans experimental + Pak128.Britain Experimental

jamespetts

Pak128.Britain already includes fences; or do you mean fences placed by the player, rather than those which appear automatically at the edges of buildings near sharp drops?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ercsim

My personal preference is to reserve a whole lot of land, for future station/rail expansions. Fences provide me with those options, as they would prevent the city from growing inside restricted zones.

jamespetts

Ahh - in which case, nobody's produced that sort of fence for Pak128.Britain yet. Perhaps you could alter the existing fences by reducing their brightness and colour saturation in the GIMP, if you have access to the sources?

Edit: Of course, the more realistic answer to this issue is just to buy the land using the "place sign" tool...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ercsim

I see that it is another attempt to find more players to become graphics developers. LoL.. The only stuff I have is the pak files. How do you suggest I proceed?

EDIT: Is that markers, in special construction tools? How many markers do you want me to place? haha...

jamespetts

Markers, yes. You don't actually have to put any text in the label for the markers. The view that I take is that, in reality, transport companies don't get to fence off cities, but they can buy land.

ercsim

Yes, I agree with you on that part. But I can only buy 1 tile of land (30m by 30m) per marker. Unless I can buy a huge chunk of land at one go, using markers isn't exactly a great way either? I definitely wouldn't mind paying for the land, especially where you earn huge chunks of money in long standing games. (I generally start my games in 1990 and end it around 2100, where no more new vehicles are introduced)

I believe many railway lines (un-elevated) are generally fenced as well in reality. Just a thought. I don't think I will go fencing every single double tracks that I have in game.

Tha1337er

Here in America most of Amtrak's mainlines are fenced or Amtrak only uses the middle track(3 track)
Pak128 Britain FTW.

jamespetts

There might be much to be said for a means of buying more than one tile at once - perhaps make a suggestion in the extension requests board? Tools that allow doing things to multiple tiles at once generally would be welcome, I think.

As to fencing of railways: that is quite a different issue; if fencing of railways were to be simulated, the fences would simply stand on the outsides of the railway track tiles, not in their own tiles, and would not be able to be used to fence off cities to prevent them from expanding in certain directions (or at all). Such a feature, however, would be purely cosmetic and probably not, therefore, worthwhile spending time implementing.

ercsim

This would probably the the third time I would have to say,  I agree with you. Back to the original objective, which is to be able to "fence" off land that is required for development, not to fence every single track. *We don't have any terrorist threat/vandalism in simutrans* I will start another new topic in the extension thread.

Tha1337er

I would like a rail way that has fences, it could be useful for making modern era demo.sves, using the fenced track in the middle of a 3 track mainline that connects the mainline to local freight, the middle fenced track being reserved for the Eurostar
Pak128 Britain FTW.

jamespetts

Quote from: Tha1337er on May 14, 2011, 12:19:17 PM
I would like a rail way that has fences, it could be useful for making modern era demo.sves, using the fenced track in the middle of a 3 track mainline that connects the mainline to local freight, the middle fenced track being reserved for the Eurostar

I'm not sure how fencing would help here...?

ercsim

Quote from: jamespetts on May 14, 2011, 01:03:53 PM
I'm not sure how fencing would help here...?

Its for graphical purposes, I believe.

Tha1337er

Realism, you would realistically put a fence around the track that high speed trains use, because I don't know about you, but I'd rather not wander onto the tracks into the path of a Eurostar, HST, ICE, Acela(Amtrak), or any other high speed train(Ironic that HST means high speed train huh?)
Pak128 Britain FTW.

ercsim

It just mean, we gotta paint those fences first!!!

Tha1337er

May i suggest a stone masonry wall for older tracks and a brick wall for newer tracks?
Pak128 Britain FTW.

ercsim

Well, I gotta learn how to do it first?

Tha1337er

That's fine because The Hood said that a new version will be released after the snow graphics for industries are made.
Pak128 Britain FTW.

jamespetts

In the UK, one generally has fences around all railway lines aside from tramways.

Tha1337er

I think stone and brick walls would fit the pak better
Pak128 Britain FTW.

ercsim

Now now, don't get too excited... Hahaha... Let me try out this blender thing first.

Tha1337er

Coincidence? I'm also going to be trying Blender :P
Pak128 Britain FTW.

AP

What about hedgerows rather than fences? Green and pleasant land and all that!

alexbaettig

I like the idea!
Maybe I can make a suggestion as well: what is typical for the British countryside for me are these walls: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dry_stone_wall_Gordale_03.JPG
They would fit very well for the pak.

ercsim

I need some blend files to try out blender. Perhaps I will try my luck on elevated rails first.