News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Here's a new video featuring the Brighton main line:

As well as taking a trip on the Brighton line, I talk about how I tackle two problems: (a) splitting and joining trains, and (b) airport rail traffic.

Here are some screenshots from the video:

Gatwick Airport

Croydon

ant123

Carl, I saw they videos you put on Youtube and loved them! I worked on the Brighton Main Line for a bit. Could you give a download link so I can see all the great work you've done? Keep it up!

Carl

Thanks for the kind words ant123! Here's the latest version of the savegame and pak folder: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61716/ukmapapr13.rar
Remember that you'll need the Experimental version of Simutrans to run this map.

And here's a screenshot of the newly-built lines under Heathrow, complete with Heathrow Express/Connect services and the Piccadilly line tube:

(click for full size)

greenling

Hello Carl
gives from your new Pakset the png and datfiles?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Carl

Not yet, but I plan to publish those separately soon -- as part of a set of British trains using the images I've painted for this map. Don't expect too much, though; my pixel art is not fantastic! Watch this space, anyway.

rsdworker

on heathrow 4 - i noticed the heathrow express platforms (one on picture) but in real life - there two platforms with crossover

there twin tunnels between H4 and H central

Carl

Yes, I will need a second platform at H4 since I've just noticed that the service is every 15 minutes, not every 30 as I had thought.

However, according to the source I've been using, there's only one track between H4 and H123 -- is this right?
http://carto.metro.free.fr/documents/CartoMetroLondon.v2.9.pdf

The map seems accurate in most ways so I've been inclined to trust it.

rsdworker

Quote from: Carl on April 02, 2013, 08:02:18 AM
Yes, I will need a second platform at H4 since I've just noticed that the service is every 15 minutes, not every 30 as I had thought.

However, according to the source I've been using, there's only one track between H4 and H123 -- is this right?
http://carto.metro.free.fr/documents/CartoMetroLondon.v2.9.pdf

The map seems accurate in most ways so I've been inclined to trust it.

looks correct - i thinkjits was my fault because i didn't realise - my last trip on that line was years ago

Carl

Progress update:

-- Greater Anglia routes all complete (London-Norwich express route, Norfolk & Suffolk branches, etc)
-- First Capital Connect routes all complete (East Coast Main Line routes to Peterborough/Cambridge, etc)
-- South West Trains routes all complete (except for the irregular Salisbury-Bristol trains - Bristol is not yet built)
-- Chiltern Railways suburban routes now complete (i.e. routes to Aylesbury, High Wycombe, and Bicester, etc).
-- First Great Western suburban routes now in progress; Reading/Oxford stoppers and Heathrow services complete.

Next up are the London Midland suburban routes to Tring and Milton Keynes (plus the Abbey line & Bedford-Bletchley), which should be fairly simple. Once those are done, all suburban services in London and the South East will be complete -- which is a pretty nice milestone!

After that, the next project is the West of England routes out of Paddington - to Plymouth and Penzance - and the associated Devon and Cornwall branch lines. Following that, Bristol and Cardiff will be in the frame.

Updated savegame:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61716/ukmapapr13.rar

Finally, a screenshot of Norwich station:

If you have any particular requests for route videos, feel free to note them in this topic!

treiskin

Hey Carl, love the progress on the map. Could you do a video highlighting the West of England Main line/Southwest Main Line? Again love the progress :D

Carl

Your wish is my command! Here's the latest video:

In this video we travel on the South West Main Line from London Waterloo to Weymouth, via Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton and Bournemouth.

Here's a screenshot from the area:

(Click for larger)

This is a very busy part of the world. As well as the SWML through Farnborough, you can see the Guildford to Ascot train (headed for Frimley), Alton to Waterloo trains (either side of Ash Vale), and a Redhill to Reading train (at Farnborough North).

Carl

Here's another video following on from the South West Main Line post -- of the line from Basingstoke to Exeter via Salisbury.

No commentary on this one; this is a bonus video as an extension to the last one:

You'll notice there are several single-line sections on this route. At Exeter we see a First Great Western HST -- more of that in the next proper episode!

Here's a screenshot of Exeter St Davids, replete with an FGW HST, an FGW Class 143, and a SWT Class 159:

Carl

Here are two up-to-date shots of subsets of the minimap. In each case you can click for a full-size version.

First, London and the South East -- almost all lines are operational in this section:

Second, Bristol and South Wales. At Cardiff, all of the Valley lines are up-and-running, along with the London routes, the Bristol routes, and some of the lines to West Wales.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

this is a very good illustration of simutran's capabilities. i've set it as g+ profile picture.

treiskin

That is very impressive, all that work in such a small amount of time

Isaac_Clarke

Amazing as usual :) I wonder how many convoys do you have in your map by now

Carl

Thanks all!

sdog -- I'm flattered!  :)

Isaac -- there are currently 1,134 convoys. Given the density of trains in London and the south east -- as well as the several hundred London Underground trains -- I expect and hope that this will be about 1/2 of the eventual total convoys.

treiskin -- although it seems like a lot has been done in a short time, even this version of the map has been in progress (on and off) for about a year. And it benefits greatly from lessons learned from earlier versions of the map, the oldest of which was started two-and-a-half years ago. So it's been some time in the making!  :)

Carl

The trip from Paddington to Penzance will be uploaded in two parts. This first part covers the line from London to Exeter via Reading and Newbury:

I also talk about how I deal with the somewhat irregular timetable in this part of the world.

Here's a screenshot of Reading station, showing the variety of operators and units running to and from the station:

(Click for larger)

treiskin

Love the first part of the video, any chance of an updated savegame? Keep it up :D

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Carl

Well past time for part two of that Devon/Cornwall video, eh? I'm about to go away for a week, but when I get back it will be high on my to-do list :)

benny290

hi
i love the maps and videos well done! however when i try to use the pak texture it comes up with fatal error then crashes the game on load up. Please help?

Carl

Hi benny290. Are you using Simutrans Experimental 10.27?
(Download here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11474.0)

If not, that's probably the problem.

treiskin

Could you upload part 2? I would love to see more of the network!

Carl

Here, at last, is part two of the Devon/Cornwall trip: a journey from Exeter St Davids to Penzance.

http://youtu.be/X8cP4PL4l8Q

Next up -- hopefully without a two-month gap, this time -- will be videos of the Bristol and South Wales main lines.

Here's a screenshot from Plymouth station and surrounds:

Carl

A new screenshot: Greater London, from the highest possible zoom level:

Large version is here: http://i.imgur.com/lFH1rjt.jpg
(or you can click below to embiggen)

I've recorded a video of the Bristol to London Paddington line, and will try to get it uploaded with audio at the weekend.