News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Hi Carl
Love your video's, however the pak file is not applicable now, is there any way you could re-upload it

Carl

Hi Matty,

The download link in my last post should have a pak folder in addition to the savegame. Let me know if that throws up any errors. Note that you'll need Simutrans Experimental for it to work.

Lewis

hi, I have  branched off from your map and created my own services,
i was wondering if you could maybe make one or two re-skins and maybe some freight trains and loco hauled passenger trains
could you maybe do a class 37 in  DRS livery and a class 66 in DB/EWS livery, you you also make some network rail carriages to go with the 37 on test trains.
for passenger trains could you make a class 67 with mk3 coaches with a DVT in Arriva train wales livery also maybe some DRS coaches (Cumbrian Coast Line)
also while im at it can we maybe have some freight wagons

thanks for reading and i hope you do decide to make these

Carl

Hi lewis, thanks for your post - interested to hear about your branch! I'll certainly add those to my to-do list, though I can't promise when exactly I'll get them done!

Lewis

Thanks
all ive done is added my own services to the map mainly ones you cant really simulate and added them to my own timetable,

KneeOn

Carl, forgive my impatience but where are you at with your London scale set? I am quite excited to give it a try!

Carl

You mean the one-carriage-per-tile ones? No progress on those for some time, I'm afraid. I got up to the 377 and little further, I think. Whatever's there should be in the downloadable folder above.

What little Simutrans time I've had this year so far has been spent on Balkans and another project that I haven't shared here yet.

Carl

Progress is as per this map: (link to full size)

The map is bigger - goes as far south as Gatwick and as far west as Slough. Not all lines shown are in operation. The following trains are running:

Cannon Street to Hayes
London Bridge to Beckenham Jct, Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Victoria, West Croydon
Liverpool Street to Enfield Town, Cheshunt, Chingford, Shenfield (still in Greater Anglia livery/timetable?), Hertford East
Stratford to Bishop's Stortford
Victoria to East Grinstead, Epsom/Sutton/etc
All DLR Lines
All Overground lines via East London Line
Underground: Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City, Victoria

Progress is slow - I spend a weekend on this every few months.

Taurus

Looks really nice, but why not in pak192.comic? We have almost all of the central London trains  ;)

Carl

And excellent they look too! :) It's a personal preference that I prefer working in 64-pixel paksets, even though they aren't quite as pretty.

KneeOn

If that is Windmill Junction I can see at the bottom, kudos! That's a pig of a junction!

Will some landmarks be drawn specifically for the map?

I got a new laptop recently which can actually run the GB map in all its glory without lagging. It makes you realise that even with following the sectional appendix just how crowded the lines are in London and in other major cities. I know that's a limitation of simutrans as much as the geography of the network but still - Finsbury Park for example is very crowded and has the down Moorgate dive under as a fly over instead. I really look forward to trying this one out and seeing it in the flesh.

Carl

Yes, there's a lot of compromise around London in that map! Some of it could probably have been avoided with a bit of lateral thinking - that Moorgate dive under is probably an example. I was building Willesden Junction on the new map the other day and realised just how much I had to simplify it before!

Taurus

I remember that as well. Had to edit it a bit to get Freight trains from Willesden JN Low - Level to the WCML slow lines.

Lewis

maybe one day heritage railways now that will be a first

Carl

A progress update on the London map, which I've been working on recently. (The wider UK one is mostly a finished project now since it can't keep pace with all the timetable and livery changes anyway.)

Download with pak folder and savegame: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/london.rar

First, an image of Windmill Bridge Junction & Selhurst, north of East Croydon station. I've added some decoration around here for effect. Given the massive scale of this map, it's not really practical to add all built up areas. Instead there are placeholder cities next to each station to generate traffic. This is the main disadvantage of large maps - making it look nice would be a full time job. I travel over this junction every day, though, so it's a bit easier to find the motivation to work on it  :)

Second, an updated minimap showing progress. Recently added lines include Southeastern metro services from Victoria, the Jubilee line (including around six different permutations of line required to meet the working timetable!), Brighton main line services, and Thameslink.

Trains which would usually go further than the map boundaries have a dummy terminating station at the very edge of the map. This allows for simulation of traffic coming from outside the London area.

Carl

Noticed that this topic has passed 100,000 views - wow. Thanks for your interest in this over the years!

It's only a couple of weeks since my last London update but a lot of progress has been made. Here's a gif of services at Clapham Junction. Everything's there except Gatwick Expresses and the hourly Southern WLL route.

You can download the savefile here. You'll also find a completed Southeastern network and an almost complete South West Trains network. Southern is done except for the Gatwick Expresses.

Lewis

Looks very good, just wondering if you may be able to update all the livery's on your original map or for my personal project a east coast (grey) hst

Carl

I'm not likely to update *all* of the ones on the old map, but I will be updating the HSTs for the London map so I can do the old version at the same time. Is it the old East Coast grey livery you wanted or the new red & grey Virgin one?

Can't promise a timescale on this!

Lewis

LocatedElephant

Hey, I'm trying to run this(The full UK map), but every time I select the pak file in the OP it throws the error

FATAL ERROR: tunnel_reader_t::read_node() - Illegal version 16644

Any ideas how I can go about solving this?

LocatedElephant

Quote from: Lewis on February 26, 2016, 06:36:33 PM
Are you using experimental

I was running version 120.1.3 I believe. Do you have a download link to a version that will work?

Thanks!

Sirdagen

Hi Carl!
I found your videos yesterday and spent the whole evening looking them through. Lovely, and now I'm thinking of downloading both Simutrans and your savefile.
What do I need to do to make it work?

Carl

First thing to do would be to download Simutrans Experimental:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=13772.0

Then put the save file in Documents/Simutrans/Save. The pak.ngb folder will need to go in your Simutrans executable directory.

Sirdagen

Carl

It has to be Simutrans Experimental (rather than Standard), and the thread I linked to has the most recent version.

Sirdagen

Right! I think I've got it. Thanks for your help :D

Sirdagen

So I managed to install it and I've been running the savefile for a while, and it's fascinating. However I did actually managed to come across a blockage in Sheffield. The southern entrance to the station was completely clogged up and it seemed that it was the Mars 2004 train from London St Pancras that caused it.

Carl

Glad you found it fascinating! Thanks for the report, I'll check it out soon.