News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Hi fam. Here's the update that fixes the GA Class 90/DVT:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UK-oct-2016.rar

There are no changes to the savegame.

I have a new faster PC, though, so I should be in a better position to diagnose some of the blockages people reported a few pages ago. I'll check that out soon.

fam621

To let you all know, do NOT rotate the GB map because come town's/cities will instead say undef.

Carl

Yep, I suspect that's because the map is technically larger than Simutrans is designed to handle. It mostly behaves itself so long as you don't rotate.

Lewis

:)  ;)

Carl

Having added Croydon Tramlink and the last few mainline services, the passenger network on the London map is now complete. You can download it here (requires Simutrans Experimental):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/London-Oct16.rar

What next?
- Some freight services as suggested above
- More work on the Balkans and USA maps
- Thinking about a new project. Both of my current ones are fictional, so I was thinking about another attempt at simulating real life. When I was in Poland this year I thought about doing that. It could be done at the same scale as the UK map (118metres per tile). But there's far less data easily available, e.g. trackmaps and linespeeds, so it would be more challenging. I think the timetable is also less regular. Maybe it would be possible to simulate a full 24 hours (with peak/off peak timetables)? That would be quite the challenge.

All assuming that I find time to spend on Simutrans.

fam621

Will making one using pak128.Britain be now an aspiration for the GB map? :)

Lewis

QuoteWhat next?

Maybe on the Full GB map?

jamespetts

You could make some more videos about your current map?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Carl

QuoteWill making one using pak128.Britain be now an aspiration for the GB map? :)
I think I will at least wait for a new version of Experimental before trying that.

QuoteWhat next?

Maybe on the Full GB map?
Maybe! I'm largely treating the full GB map as finished, since the timetables and liveries are mostly two years out of date. It would be easier to add freight to the London map, but, I suspect, less satisfying. I'll think about it.

QuoteYou could make some more videos about your current map?

There are still more maps to be made of the full UK map, for sure, that I never got around to doing. I doubt I will do a full series on the London map - mainly because it's not very photogenic! Because of the 20 metre per tile scale, it's hard to make the roads/buildings/etc surrounding the stations look good - and it would be very difficult to make them look realistic. I might do a one-off video about the map, though.

I'd like to do more videos of the Balkans map - I was quite happy with the Budapest-Vienna one.

I find that videos are quite time consuming to make, and I have less time now than I did when I was making the GB series. But since they have proved quite popular, it would be worth setting aside some time.

I forgot to say before that I haven't update the Charing Cross/Cannon Street calls at London Bridge on the London map. I think I will leave this for now and revise it all when the radical new Thameslink timetable comes into force in 2018. I can add the 700s at the same time.

Carl

Made this at work and thought this would be a good place to share it. It shows railway lines in Great Britain overlaid on a dot map of the population distribution.
Full-size version: http://i.imgur.com/Z5AXAwD.png

It's quite interesting for seeing which populated areas aren't covered by railways. If I were still working on the UK map, it would help to figure out which areas most need buses.

Note that this includes some lines that no longer see a passenger service. Doesn't seem to include heritage railways though. Not sure of the logic - you'd have to ask Ordnance Survey, whose data it is!

Carl

In a screeching U-turn, I've started doing a little work on the full UK map again. Not sure if I'll keep at it, but let's hope. :)  The main reason for the change is that I now have a more capable PC, so I can fast-forward the map at a reasonable rate again.

I started off by adding a bunch of bus routes - using that population map above to help identify some gaps. So East Lincolnshire (Louth, Horncastle, Mablethorpe), South Holland (Holbeach) and Haverhill are now linked to the network.

But more generally I've realised that there's so much more to do with the map. Almost every city could use an aesthetic upgrade. Here's what I've done to Chelmsford to make it better reflect reality. The A12 & junctions are all there too, out of shot.

My priority is buses and aesthetics, but I'll look at freight, updating liveries, and timetables in due course.

I'll upload the savegame again when there are enough differences to make it worth it.

jamespetts

I wonder whether the latest multi-threading additions to the code have also allowed you to run the map faster?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Carl

I haven't actually tried those out yet - still using 11.35. Will let you know how it runs when I do...

fam621

Some liveries I've made for the GB map. Carl, can you add these to the updated version of the GB map, before you upload it to us please? To let you know, the Class 800 has had its livery updated, so has the Class 365. :D

Carl

Thanks for doing those fam621, and good work getting to grips with making them yourself. I will be updating the liveries as and when I revisit areas of the map, so I won't wait until I've updated everything before I upload it. You'll see versions of these gradually filter into the map over the next few months. Though there won't be any Class 800 yet, since that isn't in service yet.

Download update for UK map
So with that, here's the update.

Changelog:

- Updated Class 357 model
- Buses in Lincolnshire (around Louth, Skegness, Lincoln, Holbeach)
- Buses in Essex (around Colchester, Braintree, Chelmsford, Basildon)
- Rebuild/aesthetic update of Southampton, Colchester, Chelmsford, Basildon and minor towns
- Most importantly, I found and fixed a rare blockage at Southampton which has eventual knock-on effects at Portsmouth, Birmingham and...well, everywhere. I think this was the source of issues that people have been reporting for some time, so hopefully you shouldn't see blockages anymore. Until the next one...

As ever, you'll need Simutrans Experimental to run this map.

fam621

You forgot to change the SE timetable for trains that go through London Bridge and also to add the updated version of the Oxford to Bicester line with a junction connecting it to the up line toward's London. xD

Carl

Don't forget the Borders line, and all the other timetable changes.... I haven't forgotten, but it'll take a while to update everything, so patience will be required  :)

Jack Rudd

I've gone back to my old map, and combined my two approaches. Latitude will work on the national scale, longitude county-by-county.

First test passed: Margate doesn't fall into the sea.

Lewis

Well, here is everything i have ever made......

its in a Rar file as its too big

fam621

Is it okay if you make them individual models please and the VTEC HST/MK4 stock need to have a buffet car, due to there livery. Also some of the liveries on the MK4 rolling stock do not exist, nor on the 800/802. :)

Carl

Some screenshots and an updated savegame.

South Hampshire (Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester, etc)

Basingstoke

Savegame download
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UK-Nov16.rar

Changes since last version
- Started removing overhead wires in areas where electrification is third rail. I'm doing this by not requiring the third rail vehicles to run on electric track at all - it's not worth messing around with third rail that should be invisible at this scale. This is the same approach I took on the London map.
- Class 444 update (major)
- Class 450 update (major)
- Class 377 udpate (minor)
- Southampton: further improvements and more buses (e.g. to Hythe)
- Portsmouth and surrounds rebuild
- Waterlooville area added with buses to Portsmouth/Havant
- Basingstoke rebuilt, plus buses to Alton/Liphook
- Timetable refinements/fixes
- Other minor changes

123abc

There is something in your pak that crashes the latest version of Nightly, no idea what it is!

Error Code: FATAL ERROR: tunnel_reader_t::read_node() - illegal version 16644

Carl

Hmm, that's a worry. I wonder if James has any idea what that could be? (I assume this is the newest devel branch of Experimental)

jamespetts

123abc refers to the "nightly"; since there is not currently a nightly build of Experimental (although I am considering that for the future), I infer that 123abc is using the Standard nightly, which would explain the crash, as this map is not compatible with Standard, but only with Experimental.

Carl

Thanks James. I thought 123abc may have been using 'nightly' as shorthand for the pre-release build - but the Standard incompatibility would, of course, explain the issue.

123abc

I went to the nightly download page... where do I go then?

Vladki

If you are looking for fresh devel version of experimental, go to server.exp.simutrans.com.

Carl

Time for another updated savegame, and some screenshots. Here is the updated savegame. Changes since last time:

• Southern Class 313 update
  • Updated river graphics: changed brown banks for green banks. They could still use some work but I think this is an improvement.
  • Updated cityroad graphics: changed and shrunk the pavement. I think they look neater now, though it's probably a matter of taste. The roads are a bit larger now, which will probably affect the ratio of road to building that I choose for future city rebuilds.
  • Updated tree graphics: mostly desaturating colour to make them fit the graphical style of the map/'pakset'
  • Rebuilt Salisbury, and added local buses
  • Rebuilt Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, and added local buses
  • Added towns in East Dorset and New Forest, including bus links
  • More buses for Basingstoke
In this screenshot of Christchurch you can see the new river, cityroad and tree graphics:

Here's the whole Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch area:

fam621

For the next update, can you add the Norton Bridge flyover (viaduct) and remake the Bicester - Oxford line please? :)

Carl

Sure, those seem like sensible things to add - especially since the Oxford Parkway to Oxford section opens next week. :) It will probably involve a big revision of Chiltern services, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I meant to say a bit more about what I'm doing with bus routes. They are intended to match real routes in areas where substantial towns aren't connected to the rail network, or where they provide a more direct link between towns than the rail network does (e.g. Lincoln to Skegness). The frequencies will be roughly the same as real life, but the journey times are much shorter in most cases. This is because it's not really possible to simulate traffic and the roads are much straighter than they would be in real life. Buses also stop much more often in real life. In addition, some bus routes are combined (e.g. in cases where it doesn't make sense to have two separate routes for neighbouring towns) or shortened (e.g. where part of their route mirrors the rail line). I'm not really including any bus routes that only go a few times a day.

Jack Rudd

Can you introduce the Bideford-Ilfracombe bus route? Four buses an hour during the day, connects up some substantial towns.

fam621

Carl, I am working on a UK map with fictional cities. It'll feature as much routes and lines as possible. The map will include trains, coaches, buses and trams. Photo's will be posted on a Discord page soon.

Link to the Discord page: https://discord.gg/jR7S3zs

DON'T MAKE ACCOUNTS! Reply here instead. :)

Any account's made on discord will automatically be deleted.

Carl

Here's an updated savegame. Two screenshots below of the Farnborough area:

Changes since last time:

- Norton Bridge junction reconfigured to its new real life structure
- Marylebone to Oxford services added, with resulting changes in Chiltern timetable
- Farnborough, Aldershot, Farnham, & Frimley rebuilt
- Guildford and Waverley rebuilt, along with some buses