News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Great Britain simulation in Simutrans Experimental

Started by Carl, May 25, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

Amazing piece of work!

With regard to processing power, I am still able to accelerate the map to around 40x, so there is still plenty of power left.  The server game that we're playing is over 11,000 convoys on a similar sized map, so you still have a lot of opportunity to add things :)
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Carl

Thanks Sarlock! 40x fast forward? Sounds like my CPU is losing touch with the state of the art - I can only manage about 14x. Good to know that the server map is going strong with far more convoys (I'm on about 2,200). What's the population on that map, out of interest?

rainer

Congratulations!

I am watching this project since its beginning. I have to admit that you readjusted my understanding of "crazy".
Bowing deep, I would like to express my highest respect. What a work! This _is_ art!

kierongreen

I noticed that you've got the Strathspey and Keith and Dufftown preserved railways on the map - are there services running on those and is that another thing you're planning to add more widely?

Sarlock

Server map population is currently around 18 million.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Carl

Here's an updated savegame of the completed rail network.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UK-jun14.rar

I've filled in the remaining gaps at Melksham and Baildon. There's only one line still not receiving service, and that's the Long Preston to Carnforth section where the very occasional Leeds to Morecambe trains run. I need to find some capacity at Leeds, which is very busy, to add this as a three-hourly service.

You'll also see the beginnings of the bus network (in Hampshire and Cambridgeshire), and the Isle of Wight with a mixture of trains, boats and key bus routes. Boats are available from Yarmouth to Lymington, Cowes to Southampton and Ryde to Portsmouth.

I forgot to mention before how I dealt with the services north of Inverness. This are very infrequent and fairly irregular. I've made these regular as follows:

1 train per 3 hours: Inverness - Dingwall - Kyle of Lochalsh
1 train per 3 hours: Inverness - Dingwall - Invergordon
1 train per 3 hours: Inverness - Dingwall - Invergordon - Wick

The Invergordon and Wick trains share a diagram, so a unit will go Wick>Inverness>Invergordon>Inverness>Wick.

Quote from: kierongreenI noticed that you've got the Strathspey and Keith and Dufftown preserved railways on the map - are there services running on those and is that another thing you're planning to add more widely?
I've mainly added these where (as in the above two cases) they affect the layout of a station. I would like to add heritage railways eventually, but these come at the low end of the list on my previous post, in the category of 'things that would be nice to have to look at' :)

Quote from: rainerI am watching this project since its beginning. I have to admit that you readjusted my understanding of "crazy".
Bowing deep, I would like to express my highest respect. What a work! This _is_ art!
Thanks rainer :)

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

KneeOn

Fantastic - I was thinking about IoW earlier today and if you had done it - i was going to modify the tube stock to suit the current and nse livery for that but you beat me to it!

Carl

I only did a very quick-and-dirty job with the tube stock to modify it for the IoW, so do feel free to have a go at sprucing it up if you want to! I'll release a new version of the British Trains set very soon -- I've also updated all of the Class 158s to the new model and will do the 156/150s very shortly.

planestrainscomputer

I keep on getting an Out of memory error message. I have 4gb of ram and have a 2.8Ghz processor. I run on a 32bit system. The versions you modify also give me an error. So annoyed because it always used to work and really enjoyed your work. Surly there must be a way around it.

Carl

You'll need the Large-Address Aware executable from the latest version: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=13712.0

I believe James was looking for people to check whether this would work on a 32-bit system, so do report pack and let us know.

Carl

Windows Binaries, and then use the 'Simutrans-Experimental-laa.exe' application.

planestrainscomputer

I have posted the error but with your version I get the pthreadVCE2.dll is missing error when trying to install.

planestrainscomputer

No, a black screen flashes up but then disappears. I also tried running in compatibility mode.

Carl

Ok - in that case I think we'll have to wait for James to take a look at the bug with the LAA exe. In theory that version is supposed to allow maps like mine to be run on 32-bit systems.

jamespetts

Planestrainscomputer - the trouble is, I suspect, that your 32-bit system is terminally limiting the amount of memory available to Simutrans. Your 4Gb of physical memory almost certainly is not being fully used on a 32-bit system, as the 4Gb address space has to deal with things other than physical RAM (such as virtual memory). If you still get the out of memory error message with the -laa version (and you have double checked that you are running the executable with -laa in the name, which is important), then, I am afraid you really actually are out of memory. You could try closing background programs to see whether that helps.

Incidentally, if you, running a 32-bit machine, find that the -laa is stable for you even running Carl's map, then I can make the large address aware flag standard in the next version and discontinue the separate -laa version, which I only added because of reports that I had read about this being unstable on 32-bit systems.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

By the way, there's something off - when I unpause for a while, I get trains stuck near Sheffield, which causes a permanent freezing of the entire system, including the East Coast Mainline at Doncaster, due to waiting trains blocking platforms, and a second service (Hull - Doncaster) getting itself stuck since it uses the same platform upon departure and arrival before entering the holding sidings.

Carl

At Sheffield? Interesting, I've not seen that one recently. I've seen blocks at Leeds occasionally but not been able to reliably reproduce them. I'll take a look at this and see if I can find the cause. Previously the only blocks at Sheffield have been caused by CrossCountry trains (usually HSTs) missing their timing points. Maybe that's the case again.

Doncaster does tend to go pretty haywire if something's up -- it's possible that the problem begins there.

Junna

It's possible it begins there... things get stuck around Dore & Totley, where the stopping service waits, but a passing service that does not stop there for some reason wants to use the platform track rather than the clear track, which causes it to get stuck there.

Carl

Interesting. I've never seen an issue originate at Dore before. I don't think either of the fast Stockport-Sheffield services is timetabled to overtake the stopping service at Dore, so if one is catching the stopper up and getting stuck behind it then this probably means that the stopping train missed its timing point, perhaps because of congestion getting out of Manchester Piccadilly. These things can often be hard to track down the initial cause of...

This is all speculation however - I'll take a look later on :)

Junna

I notice a block at Leeds the second time. It might be the delay from there caused the subsequent blocks at Dore and Doncaster since they missed the schedule departures.

KneeOn

So basically, the issues are standard real life operating issues the country faces daily!

Carl

Ok, I've found the problem. The Manchester to Middlesbrough train (convoy 1800) gets stuck behind a slow service between Huddersfield and Leeds, and missed its spacing slot at Leeds by about 30 seconds. This is fixed in the savegame below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UKmap-Jun2014.rar

Before uploading the savegame last time I ran the game for six in-game hours to try to spot any issues like this. Funny how these bugs sometimes take a while to appear!

There may well be another such blockage hot on the heels of this one, we'll see :)

Junna

Now it seems to jam at Birmingham after a while.

By the way, why does the Bank - Waterloo underground shuttle not operate? I noticed it in the list, but it has no vehicles assigned?

Carl

I've fixed the issue at Birmingham and also another that came up at Preston. Two more perennial offenders, those. I've also lengthened the platforms at Salisbury to remove that error and added the LUL Waterloo City line - thanks for pointing out that oversight Junna! :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61716/UKmap-Jun2014.rar

Junna

Your Lymington branch is not electrified? As far as I know it is third rail operated.

Carl

You're right that it should be electrified - but wikipedia suggests that the weekday operation is by Class 158 units:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymington_Branch_Line

Junna

That's an oddity. They should just bring back the slammers they were running until 2011.

Sir_Tramalot

Just to let you know, the link for the pak is down.
(I know it is more than 45 days, but this is important)
Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway: Keeping the spirit of Bowaters Paper alive.